Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 PM

68 posts, read 166,524 times

Advertisements

Ok, So the house has finally sold!!! YAY!!! been researching and spending time in Florida for almost 4 years planning this move. Also been reading this forum for almost as long.

My question is this: I can relocate within my current company, I'm a nurse and my current company has location's in Florida. My choice's are Sarasota, West Palm Beach or Delray Beach. Of these choice's which area would you local's recommend and why.

A little about us.... I am 49 and my husband is 59. My husband will retire from his current job; but would like to do something part-time. If we go near West Palm Beach he is considering working for the Turnpike. If we go Sarasota not sure what he would do. My husband is a distance runner but he prefers to run trail instead of road; maybe beach? We are very active and enjoy biking, hiking, kayaking and love the beach, would also like to try paddle boarding. Also enjoy dining out; not so much into the everyday chain restraunts; prefer mom & pop type place's. Also enjoy a nice out-side type sport's bar to have a cold drink and listen to music. We like festivals, art shows and listening local musician's. We are laid back and that's what we are looking for.

In addition to my husband and I we have 2 mini-dachshund's; so would like somewhere dog friendly. Also our 25 year old single daughter will be moving down with us. She is a bartender and would be looking for work. And last but not least my mom who is 65 will be moving with us. My mom & daughter would not be living with us; they would each have their own place. Both have dog's also.

Our price range to purchase a home would be up to $130,000. We are looking for something comfortable, 2 bedroom 2 bath. Doesn't have to be new; but from what I have read on here needs to have up-dates such as roof with specific tie-downs, window's either wind resistant or hurricane shutter's (not sure what else I'm missing) also have to watch flood zone's.

I lived near Ft. Lauderdale from 97-01 and loved it but it was a little to fast paced for me. I moved back to Ohio to help with elderly family (which isn't the case anymore) and have been trying to get back to Florida for along time. I am familiar with the heat, humidity, hurricane's, bug's, snake's and alligator's.

Thank you for reading my post and any helpful info you can provide. We will be making this move by July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I suggest the Sarasota area. My husband is also a runner and his dad ran the Boston Marathon and many other marathons around the country. Here are a few local races: 2014 Running Race Events in Sarasota, FL
The Legacy Trail is a nice run: Sarasota Florida Legacy Trail Guide * Sarasota To Venice - Biking, Hiking and Running Trail
He also runs in various local parks and on the beach.

We frequently go kayaking and paddleboarding in Sarasota on the weekend. Here's a blog I wrote about kayaking the mangrove tunnels at Brushy Bayou in Sarasota: http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...ayou-lido.html

There are lots of non-chain type restaurants and bars in and around the downtown area that have live music. Nearly every weekend there's something going on around Main St- a festival, boat races, farmers market, art show or whatever.

Sarasota has several very nice dog parks and beaches.

Now, as far as your housing budget, it might be a little tight for the area. It would probably be a little older and possibly need a few updates but I think it's doable.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:29 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
In terms of jobs both of you seem far more suited for possibility in Palm Beach County. I also think you'll find more to do socially and as far as outdoor recreation options than in Sarasota which is much smaller. Delray Beach has become quite a hot market thanks to the popularity of the downtown area, but know you will find some nice housing in your price range just to the north in well-established older neighborhoods in Boynton Beach or Hypoluxo.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM

Thank you for the replies; very excited about this move; just a lot to decide in a short time. kyle19125 I was thinking the same thing in terms of jobs. especially for my daughter who will be moving with us. Also, considering Palm Beach County because of it's proximity to Ft. Lauderdale & Miami. My other daughter & son-in-law will be moving to Florida in the next 2-4 yrs and will need jobs also, and thought Palm Beach County might be a better area for them also.

SoFlGal, we have visited the Sarasota/Venice area and we do love Siesta Key Beach. It does seem very laid back, which we like. Just concerned about jobs for my daughter in the area and also for my other daughter and son-in-law who will be joining us in a few years. My younger daughter is a bartender, my older daughter is a social worker (with the elderly) and my son-in-law is finishing his master's in IT Engineering.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
If you don't mind a condo, I think Royal Palm Beach would work for you. Slower paced but close to West Palm.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

thanks Harrywho? I will check it out. We wouldn't mind a condo as long as I could have my 2 little dogs. and the fee's aren't to high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida