Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 AM

31 posts, read 276,827 times

Advertisements

I'm also going to be relocating to Florida from Indy. I moved here in October of last year (just 4 months ago), and I HATE it!!!!! My son hates it, and we're miserable. Perhaps it's because we came here from Chicago, which makes Indy seem 20 years behind on everything.

Any place would be better than here (just my opinion). The only good thing I've found about Indianapolis is that there are plenty of jobs available in my field (manufacturing and distribution), so my only concern when it comes to leaving this **** hole this summer is finding suitable work in or around Port Richey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 AM

232 posts, read 886,893 times
To the poster who said you get used to palmetto bugs. I am glad you can adjust so well...I dont mind snakes,spiders really there arent to many bugs that so call FREAK me out except palmetto/roaches ugh!!! I dont think I could ever get use to them.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 AM

106 posts, read 563,644 times
Default Consider Sarasota

Hi All-
I am a native Floridian. While I am one of the few who is leaving Florida I do suggest it for people who do want to move here. Sarasota, Where I live is nice for many reasons. Many outdoor things to do and the most beautiful beaches in the world! The sand is like baby powder! The bugs are bad. I am very clean and keep a clean home and always find bugs! For anyone considering a move to Florida I can answer many questions for you, just ask

Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,092 times

How do you like living in Florida? Husband, daughter, and myself seriously considering this move from Oregon. How is your experience? Was it worth it? Any positive feedback along the facts of some of the negative as well? We are looking for plenty of sunshine, palms, golf, family fun, etc.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 PM

16 posts, read 49,989 times
Default Live in Indy & have lived in FL

I currently live in Indy and have been here for 5 years and it's not that bad of a city. Granted it's cold in winter but there are WAY colder places and there isn't any real water (sorry Geist doesn't qualify). To me, those are its two downfalls. I used to live in Pt. Charlotte and would like to move back (for the two reasons listed above) but struggle with justifying the increase in cost. It WILL be more expensive to live in FL and you'll have to weigh the additional costs against the gains. Me and my wife have great jobs here (I work in clinical computer systems and she is a nurse) and we could easily find jobs in FL. However, consider this: I have a 4 year old house 3/2/2 2100sft and my taxes are $1100/yr and insurance is $400. I live in a sub 19 miles out in country and can be downtown in 20 - 25 min! Even with IN income tax at 3.4%, you'll spend way more than that with the increase in HOI, HOA, Taxes, CDD, etc. I have been all over the Gulf Coast from Tampa on down: mom lived in Palmetto and Sarasota, I lived in Pt. Charlotte, worked in North Port, and spent lots of time in St. Pete & Tamp. I LOVE the Gulf Coast but it's difficult to justify the increases in cost recently. Manufacturing jobs are few and far between and wages for those will not even come close to what they are in IN. I keep trying to run the numbers to move back but they just keep coming up short...

Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM

16 posts, read 49,989 times
Default One more thing...

Indy is the least expensive housing market for any major city; it's listed as the 12th largest city in US and 33rd largest MSA (metropolitan statistical area). My house that I previously mentioned cost under $130k to build and I have a large privacy fenced lot. I do have a HOA but it's only $200/yr. Come on people, convince me to move back to FL...I truly miss the water, ambiance, pace of life, year-round warm weather, wildlife, etc. but the costs...oh how can I justify them...

Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 47,655 times
I moved to FL from Wisconsin in '83. We bought a house in Hollywood, FL in 1999 for a song. Although we are relocating to Colorado for my work I really like Hollywood and am sad to go. It is close to both Miami and Ft Lauderdale and and does have a stable population of native Floridians. Miami is very transient-mosty the very rich and the poor or newly arrived immigrant with little skills. The traffic is nothing less of horendous-esp at rush hour. 75 minute commutes are the norm.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 30,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I was thinking of moving to Indiana, why are you leaving? Got a friend who moved there and business is good ( he rents equipment ) a lot better than when he lived in Miami. Also you seem to have white people who speak English there. Wow imagine going somewhere and not having to see refugees lined up on the corner looking for work....or is that there too? I want to know all the negative things about Indiana, please!
I have lived in IN all my life. Business is good, people are nice. Weather is TERRIBLE. I live in Southern IN, near Louisville, KY. We selling our home and moving to St. Pete area this summer. Nothing wrong with IN, downhome country nice people. Middle class is wearing VERY thin. Rich or Poor, no middle. Prop taxes / insurance cheaper, pay not much different.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 106,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
Ellie~many people are MOVING OUT.Yes,taxes are rediculous but the influx rate is now steady to people who are leaving due to the sharp increases in housing prices(if you don`t want to rent)and taxes due to people building 450k glorified apartments(condos).They have overbuilt.There is no way they are going to sell all of those units.They should of built nice homes.But the influx rate is equeal to the rate of outwatd bound.Stop being nasty to people who want to move here.I read a post about someone wanting to move to North Carolina and the person saying No Jobs..No cheap homes ect.

Now they have a 64% influx and are acting as rude as people did down here when everyone was moving here years back.
Glad someone else said it! I thought that was SO entirely rude as well!!!

AD

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
I have been the victim of TWO scams that are very prevalent in Florida: (1) home owner associations that will foreclose on your home in a heartbeat for a slight violation of their illegally created "rules" that are outside of their bylaws, and (2) guardianship fraud. Guardianship fraud is the worst nightmare anyone can ever experience. In a forced guardianship, the victim looses all civil rights, his or her property, savings accounts, and when the money is all spent by the guardian and her attorneys, the victim then loses his or her life. This happened to my mother which left me disinherited. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE TO FLORIDA UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR CIVIL RIGHTS AND PROPERTY TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. THERE ARE PLENTY OF WEBSITES ABOUT THIS. AW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida