Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:38 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSellingFLHomes View Post
Your best bets are likely going to be Central Florida such as the Ocala area, Lake, Pasco or Polk Counties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The schools in Polk are generally poor.

Parts of Marion County (Ocala) and parts of Lake County are your best bet for good schools, employment, and owning horses. I would also look at Alachua County near Gainesville.
School quality and job availability aren't particularly favorable in any of these areas outside of possibly Gainesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Unless you're boarding, if you plan on keeping your horses at your own place, be sure to check the minimum acreage requirements. I know 5 acres minimum applies to some places.

The catch there is that acreage in commuting distance to major metro areas = $$$. Less expensive acreage = rural areas = much less desirable schools pretty much every time.

Someone noted St Johns County but good luck finding a suitable horse property there anymore without spending a fair chunk of coin, even in the furthest reaches of the county. It wasn't always that way but it is now.
I know of three places zoned for horses with existing homes and stable in Southern Lake and Western Orange Counties that are for sale right now and less than 35 minutes to Orlando and with good to excellent schools--and I'm not even in real estate.

This is not as difficult as it's being made out to be.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
School quality and job availability aren't particularly favorable in any of these areas outside of possibly Gainesville.
You're saying the mostly "A" rated schools in Clermont aren't good? I would have to disagree. With a 30 minute drive to Orlando, Leesburg, and 40 minutes to Ocala, there are plenty of jobs.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 AM

741 posts, read 914,506 times
Quote:
I know of three places zoned for horses with existing homes and stable in Southern Lake and Western Orange Counties that are for sale right now and less than 35 minutes to Orlando and with good to excellent schools--and I'm not even in real estate.

This is not as difficult as it's being made out to be.
I know of places within a close drive to Ponte Vedra Beach where one can have horses.
Did the OP mention that they had a wide-open, high end budget where the sky was the limit?

Or do the context clues (currently a student, going to school and entering a profession that isn't high income) suggest that there might be budgetary realities involved?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
There are still lots of horse places in Ponte Vedra Beach - in Palm Valley. Can't say they were ever inexpensive - but they're high priced spread now.

FWIW - when we first moved here - the Budweiser Clydesdale horses were stabled at the entrance to our HOA. Robyn

Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I know of places within a close drive to Ponte Vedra Beach where one can have horses.
Did the OP mention that they had a wide-open, high end budget where the sky was the limit?

Or do the context clues (currently a student, going to school and entering a profession that isn't high income) suggest that there might be budgetary realities involved?
Do you know anything about Southern Lake or Western Orange? I think not.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwillow View Post
We are planning a move to Florida in the next five years. Just haven't decided on exactly where. I know that Ocala is famous horse country but don't want to rule out any other horse friendly area either...any suggestions? Also completing my psychology degree and when we move I should have completed my masters for Marriage and Family Counseling...what is a good area for jobs in that field? Any other advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Check out Brevard County. Great family oriented county with good schools, friendly people and we have properties that allow for horses-especially in the Malabar/Grant area . Also some in the Lake Washington area. We have parks that have riding trails. Some roads even have signs to watch for horses.

Parks and sanctuaries with horseback riding trails include:

Wickham Park in Melbourne
Buck Lake Conservation Area
Pine Island Conservation Area
Malabar Scrub Sanctuary in the Town of Malabar
Jordan Scrub Sanctuary
Micco Scrub Sanctuary

Wickham Park used to board horses there, too but not sure if they still do that. Check out this too if you would want to board your horses.

http://www.equinenow.com/riding/palm+bay-florida.htm

Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Do you know anything about Southern Lake or Western Orange? I think not.
Sometimes, I forget what passes for 'acceptable schools' in Florida, to some people.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Sometimes, I forget what passes for 'acceptable schools' in Florida, to some people.
"A" Rated aren't acceptable?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
"A" Rated aren't acceptable?
Haha, most 'mortgage backed securities' were "A Rated" in 2005.
I know those exact areas very, very well. I'm guessing you're going on 'theory' or whatever fragments of info you've cobbled up off the internet.

You're consistently naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida