Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing everyone saying, "stay away from Holly Hill." As if that is the most undesirable part of Daytona (I have no idea so sure).

But everyone says Ormond beach is so nice, including friends I trust who live there. I haven't really reached out to them yet for the sake of not spreading my inquiries amongst relatives, so I just want to know, where is the magical divide between Ormond and Holly Hill and Holly Hill and Daytona?

Also I'm trying to research the area of Ormond Beach (that's my main goal) and find out how the neighborhoods "go" there. What kind of places are out on the beach, like is it just houses and restaurants (I don't see any huge condos)? Are there any super cute neighborhoods farther inland? Just curious.

For some context we would want to rent there for 900-1100/month, if that helps. We have two young children and will have a baby next year when we we'd be moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
Mason Ave. seperates Daytona from Holly Hill proper. It's majorly Section 8 housing. I would never ever live there. Beachside is fine tho, as I live off Mason on beachside, which turns into Oakridge once you cross the bridge. That's where all the bars and clubs are.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 10,562 times
thank you!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
And for the record, Port Orange is a great place for families and it's where basically everyone I know who has kids lives.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Default Divisions and Subdivisions

I'm a Native Floridian, but not from the Daytona Beach area. Like your relatives, there was all of this "division" business talk when I first moved here that confused me...but now I've "figured" it out!

OK. Daytona Beach was pretty much the "original" city. Lot's of older, "historic" housing. People flocked to new modern housing suburban developments post WW2, but especially in the South AFTER 1964 School Desegregation. This led to "boom" expansion of Port Orange and Ormond Beach for mostly white professionals. Holly Hill was mostly blue collar and modest pension retirement.

This is the "test" question to ask locals: "Are old (historic) housing/buildings good or bad?" You'd be surprised at the answers that will have you ROFL! Then ask them which areas are the "best" to live in (and see the connection in their opinion). Old/historic is "bad" and new construction is always "the best" -- which leaves the question, "where's the middle ground?" (Hint: black/white only)

Mason Ave - Divides Holly Hill from Daytona Beach on mainland. I shop at the Aldi's Supermarket, Macker Seafood, 7 Star Indian Market, Checkers/Burger King/KFC/Taco Bell/Subway/Krystal/McDonald's/Lil Ceasar's, Hampton's Restaurant, Interstate Batteries, Sazon Latino Cafe, Acme or Kennedy Dry Cleaners and Habitat 4 Humanity ReSale Store, Harbor Freight and usually buy gas on Mason because it's cheaper. I sometimes use the self-serve car wash off Beach Street (that's now for sale). Not sure about the Sect 8 comment. Seems middle class to me. There used to be a bowling alley there that's now closed across from the Family Dollar. Lots of car dealers, repairs, parts, tires, rental offices and taxi cab stands there.

Hand Ave - I use this as the divider from Holly Hill to Ormond Beach on the mainland. (It's not official, just a general rule of thumb for me). I think US1 is nasty from US92 in Daytona Beach -- all the way to I-95 ramp in Ormond Beach/Destination Daytona. It's not really dangerous -- just sad, old, broke and run down. It's weird that none of the towns have really done anything solid to improve one of the main corridors through their cities!

You can find really nice neighborhoods and streets in Daytona Beach and all of the surrounding cities. And you can also find nasty neighborhoods and streets in ALL of the surrounding cities and zip codes (except Ponce Inlet just because it's smaller and they're on it). People living in trailer parks in Port Orange or run-down apts in Ormond Beach or Daytona Beach Shores believe they have a "better" address than those living in Daytona Beach or Holly Hill?

I enjoy living in a neighborhood where I can mostly walk or bike ride around to shops and restaurants and use my car very little. I also enjoy being near the ocean and intracoastal waterway for watersports.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 07-01-2014 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida