Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 13,539 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are late 40's early 50's and looking to relocate to FL from RI...

We have visited SW FL and like both Naples and Sarasota areas, but need more info and input on current conditions and the best areas for finding work in FL...

I have a varied background in Design, Territory Sales, and Secretarial work and my husband is self-employed in gutters, carpentry, flooring, and handyman type work. We would like to find jobs as well as get a business off the ground (on the side) in FL. Considering it's a service type business along with our backgrounds, I'm wondering if the older population in Naples would be a good fit? I know there isn't much industry in SW FL, so I'm mainly concerned about us finding work. We would likely start out in a Seasonal rental where ever makes the most sense, instead of being tied into a one-year lease right away.

The other potential area would be Boca Raton/Deerfield Beach/Pompano but I haven't actually been down to SE FL in about 20 years. Would that be a better target area for us for work?? Not being bilingual, that may be an issue on the SE side?

Are there other areas that we should be looking at in FL with our backgrounds, where the job market is better?

Any input would be highly appreciated! Thank you!!

Last edited by che0123; 06-30-2014 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
You would be better off in terms of work options in SE Florida and no, you don't have to be bilingual in areas outside of Miami proper despite the misleading information you might read about in this forum. Naples is very seasonal in terms of employment demand (basically Nov-Apr) and Sarasota is significantly smaller than SE Florida in terms of employment options and not really any cheaper. Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Coconut Creek and Deerfield Beach is largely a nice area and I wouldn't as much recommend Pompano Beach. Securing work anyplace in Florida is difficult, especially from afar so that's going to be your biggest challenge. Your background will net the easiest results in my opinion as those with your husband's background are a dime a dozen, even after the housing/construction crash as many couldn't afford to leave the state. Bear in mind what you might wind up paying for a seasonal rental could very well equal a full year lease in a traditional rental, so do your homework there. If you can get past the fact that it's not sub-tropical like SE Florida or Sarasota/Naples you might look into the Jacksonville area which has a more diverse economy than the rest of the state by and large plus a overall lower cost of living with substantially lower rental rates.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 PM

Thank you for your input Kyle. Are you in FL? Whereabouts? I've never visited Jacksonville but thought it was a big sprawling city and crime was an issue... Any idea? Well, I know crime is an issue everywhere but... Regardless of where we end up, I'm hoping to be in a gated community and possibly 55+. Also considering modular in a gated community to start off but not sure the best websites to find rental info?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by che0123 View Post
Thank you for your input Kyle. Are you in FL? Whereabouts? I've never visited Jacksonville but thought it was a big sprawling city and crime was an issue... Any idea? Well, I know crime is an issue everywhere but... Regardless of where we end up, I'm hoping to be in a gated community and possibly 55+. Also considering modular in a gated community to start off but not sure the best websites to find rental info?
I am in Florida, northeast of Orlando currently. I'm a South Florida native and have lived in the state for 35+ years off and on, since 2010 this time around. Jacksonville is not really a big sprawling city despite it's size. It's one of the few cities in the country where the city and county are integrated in terms of population. The city itself is fairly compact if one looks at a map and crime is an issue everywhere but no more so there. Like most areas of the South the violent crime is segregated to pockets where you're very likely to not ever live/set foot in. I would encourage you to do some reading and research online about potential places to live and eliminate hearsay from the process which is liable to eliminate some good options as is the case here. Lastly in terms of gated communities I would rethink that as well since you pay a premium and in most cases doesn't do much other than offer a false sense of security. Perhaps in certain single home communities it has value, but if one considers life in a multi-unit community (apartments) or technology-challenged 55+/lower-value manufactured home communities (much lower density of flat screen tvs and the latest tech gadgets) what are the odds they're coming for you??? In terms of modular rentals I'm pretty sure they don't exist as they're pretty much buyer-only scenarios as are 55+ communities overwhelmingly. In terms of rental websites I like the Apartment Guide which has extensive options for helping to narrow down your choices.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...cd7d3896fcc7e2
1 Bedroom Apartments for Rent in Jacksonville, FL
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM

(Chuckle!)

Kyle ~~ I appreciate the candor and would have to agree with your comments! I appreciate hearing your perspective and thank you again for the link and input...!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Se fl

Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
If you have not been here in 20 years, prepare yourself this is not the South Florida you remember...

Job market is highly competitive, companies tend not to pay and to be blunt your going to have a lot of competition for a lot of jobs. It is often easier to find a job here if your living here, which can be risky for many to relocate without and living off of savings which can often end in disaster when the funds run out. You mentioned secretarial, I can say this expect a lot of competition from kids fresh out of high school with no degree and minimal experience. I have seen so many people with great experience, degrees and etc, get glanced over because of this and the fact that employers can pay someone less money and don't care if they get quality work.

A lot of people do work for themselves here, handyman jobs, landscaping and etc, a lot of competition and business tends to spread by referrals or people you know, that takes time.

Suggest you also do COL comparisons, I know RI isn't cheap when it comes to many things, especially car insurance but that is high here as well as is health insurance rates, due to the elderly population density.

Boca is expensive as well, expect $1300/month+ for a nice 1 bedroom in a desirable area. A house, easily over $2000+, if you can even find a rental, rentals are hot and most people out of the Baby Boomer generation cannot afford to buy here due to the downturn, job loss, stagnant incomes, requirements to buy and etc...now home prices are on the rebound returning to 2004 levels, if they reach 2006 levels, it will be another bubble waiting to pop.

I would suggest you visit here since it's been 20 years, it's not the same place you remember...

Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^ this.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
you don't have to be bilingual in areas outside of Miami proper despite the misleading information you might read about in this forum. .
I wouldn't call this 'misleading information' in reference to SE Florida. More and more of the people who are moving here speak Spanish as their first language and prefer to communicate in Spanish. Being able to speak Spanish makes it easier to compete for jobs---even if the employer doesn't say it outright they certainly prefer bilingual candidates.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Broward County and Palm Beach County (two thirds of "South Florida") have a Hispanic population of 26% and 20% respectively (2012 census), hardly bi-lingual mandatory numbers. Florida overall has a Hispanic population of 23% so we're not talking disproportionately high numbers there either with the overall national average at 17%. Orange County and Osceola County (two of the three counties that make up the Orlando metro) are at 28% and 47% respectively in terms of Hispanic population and with your argument clearly more bilingual-centric if one is job hunting perhaps. The point being there's an inaccurate stereotype you (and others) are perpetuating about a large part of South Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida