Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:38 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Since the high paying jobs are elsewhere what would cause the people you refer to stay here and take jobs below their previous income levels?
Why? Well because they want to live the lifestyle, even if it means they are settling for merida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The bartenders and waiters with a master's degree is a phenomenon happening all over the country, even in places where the economy is better. I live in a wealthy suburb of Indianapolis with an unemployment rate of slightly over 3%. I can count at least one bartender with a master's who is 25, another guy at the brewery who is bartending just got his degree and is living with his mom, and I went out with a 36 year old woman with an MEd who is making $11/hr at a daycare. Friday night, I went out with a girl who just turned 18 in May is making $10/hr at a preschool. You can try to move the needle in your favor, but one cannot guarantee success.

I met people in wealthy Boston just like this. I'm from rural TN and have applied for jobs in FL, and I've received many more call backs in central/south FL than I ever did in TN. I work in tech, but don't have a STEM degree.

I can't think of any STEM degree holder I know personally who lives in a major urban area and is stuck flipping burgers, bartending, or whatever. I doubt that reality is much different in south FL. It is completely different in rural America.
Sure, the downturn and fact that employers have eliminated a lot of positions that will never be refilled has created this, but here it's been this way for years, pre-downturn to present. I heard this too "Oh I can get a job up north or elsewhere, but I don't want to leave the lifestyle here"...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Are you honestly saying that I don't know what life is like for the worst!? I came from the worst of the worst, but I made it! I still don't understand what you are getting at, I have been to many places across the nation, and I don't see how Florida is worse.
I don't know if you say so? I think your living in denial on reality here, maybe you watch Million Dollar Listing Miami too much, which makes South Florida appear as if everyone is living a HNW lifestlye...without showing the grittier side of Miami.

I have been all around the world and I can tell you this, things are better elsewhere when it comes to jobs and salaries and the subject of this thread, your getting out of scope...

Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Frankly I think you are overly concerned with money. You seem to always refer to the highly educated and those whose wealth is much more than the average person. They are a small percentage of the population compared to the average American worker. The state of FL willl do fine in the decades ahead as the "baby boomers' will be replaced by another set of people. Some average, some educated, some with high paying jobs and many more who have nothing more than a desire to do the best they can with what they have. I also feel that you think too highly of yourself.
Your not getting the point, the subject is "South Florida lags in STEM jobs", maybe in your part of Florida, HNW is not a part of the fabric? I have been all over Florida and there is no place like here, elsewhere in the state but when it comes to low salaries and lack of opportunity in some fields, Florida takes the cake.

It's your opinion the state will do fine after the baby boomers die off, sure there will always be people with money and vacationers from elsewhere, but you seem to forget the shrinking middle class, those "average" people you refer to, that had great stable jobs that paid quite well and gave them a pension straight out of high school and were able to save money to allow them to retire to Florida, will be a thing of the past...I know plenty of people like this here and elsewhere and they will be a rarity in the future, you cannot have one thing without the other. Salaries are flat, home ownership at all time low, the same old American Dream previous generations had, is harder to obtain today.

Example, I have a number of interns under me, I hire plenty each year, most if not all are blowing their money on partying, above average new cars, trips to Vegas, Sushi and Yard House everyday for lunch, gadgets galore. Complain about being broke all the time, always say "do we get paid this week" and use their credit cards to buy time.

Some are paying in excess of 30% of their net monthly income in rent to live where the action is. They are not saving anything, some I brought on full-time are in their mid 20's, still living this way and a few have over $100K in student loan debt from UM, even at what I pay some of them, which is below the median for the field here, there is no way they can get ahead. I would pay them more, but I'm not pulling those strings.

To be honest, you think like a Baby Boomer and react like one...with that things were good for me, what's the fuss about attitude. No, I do not think too highly of myself, I just have a lot of pride and confidence...I work with HNW clients and their money, so I can relate to both sides of the fence. I see how these people react to issues, it would sicken you to see how they talk, comments they say and what they think people are worth to compensate and how they don't understand why so many complain about their pay when people in France make less and live without issues. Yet 5 minutes later talking about the $500K Ferrari they are going to be picking up Saturday...

Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Again money money money. Dude: its not all about money. If some 20 something can afford a roof over their heads by themselves get a couple of roommates. Eat mac & cheese and ramen. Skip the cable TV with all the premium channels and get an antenna. Bring your lunch to work with you. Screw the smartphone. They dont need it or the bill it brings. Its just wasting assets on toys. What you describe are people living way beyond their means. When I was in my 20s I wanted and wanted but the money was not always there. Had bills to pay. Things to acquire like household goods, not trendy toys. . We had rent, electric, car insurance, telephone, gas, credit card bills, etc. Not unlike today.
Still lived comfortably though. On less than 30k a year or less. Things were no different then. Inflation was crazy, COL was ridiculous. In the 80s the interest on a home loan was 15 percent or so. The price of houses doubled from what it was in the 70s. Tripled what they were in the 60's. We survived. Many of us worked a full time job and a part time job.

Oh BTW, in the 70's and 80's there werent many "jobs for life". People hopped around to make a few more bucks quite frequently. Without experience in something when you got out of high school you looked for a job with the city; cop fireman, sanitation, or administrative positions that paid no more than $20k a year to start. Then, if you had any smarts, you stayed in those jobs for 20 years to get the pension and got another job. Of course as time went on your years in service gave you increased salary. The college grads went for marketing, sales, the financial world, anything to gain some experience that they could take to the next job. The job market was also very tight then. You had to be good at what you did to be able to move about in your field.

Seems the younger generation was sold a bill of goods and now expects a whole lot but isnt willing to make the sacrifices that are required. Not willing to make the adjustments necessary. They put themselves in ridiculous amounts of debt with the notion that once they had that piece of paper employers would be begging them to come work for them. Didnt go that way. Earlier generations paid cash for their education by going to school and working. They made sacrifices.

Yeah in FL some fields wages are lower than other places. Simply because there is an over abundance of people who want to be in those fields and the employers can cherry pick from the crowd and get them to work for less because of the lop-sided situation.

The middle class may be shrinking because those in the middle class have been demoted to lower levels.
You seem to think that furniture stores, department stores, car dealers, restaurants, et al are going to fold up because nobody can afford their services? I hardly think so.

Another thing you guys dont look at is the economy over the past 30 years. Its been in the toilet and remains in the toilet. I cant think of any time in my adult life where jobs were plentiful, the dollar was worth a dollar inflation an cost of living was a big issue.

The economy needs to be rebuilt. We need to get away from paper pushers and button pushers and get down and dirty by getting back to manufacturing and rebuilding the infrastructure. No. Everybody wants to sit at a desk staring at a monitor watching the flashing lights and expect to get big bucks for doing so. Dont work that way. Never did, never will. If we dont get back to the basics there never will be a recovery. The younger generation wants to have it all NOW instead of putting in the time and effort to get somewhere.

Your HNW people are a limited group. There are a whole lot more average people than them.
One big tumble in the financial markets and they are ruined. They'd be trying to sell their cars, homes, boats for pennies on the dollar just to eat.

It is the 20-30 year old bracket who should be doing better than those before them but they are not. They dropped the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Your not getting the point, the subject is "South Florida lags in STEM jobs", maybe in your part of Florida, HNW is not a part of the fabric? I have been all over Florida and there is no place like here, elsewhere in the state but when it comes to low salaries and lack of opportunity in some fields, Florida takes the cake.

It's your opinion the state will do fine after the baby boomers die off, sure there will always be people with money and vacationers from elsewhere, but you seem to forget the shrinking middle class, those "average" people you refer to, that had great stable jobs that paid quite well and gave them a pension straight out of high school and were able to save money to allow them to retire to Florida, will be a thing of the past...I know plenty of people like this here and elsewhere and they will be a rarity in the future, you cannot have one thing without the other. Salaries are flat, home ownership at all time low, the same old American Dream previous generations had, is harder to obtain today.

Example, I have a number of interns under me, I hire plenty each year, most if not all are blowing their money on partying, above average new cars, trips to Vegas, Sushi and Yard House everyday for lunch, gadgets galore. Complain about being broke all the time, always say "do we get paid this week" and use their credit cards to buy time.

Some are paying in excess of 30% of their net monthly income in rent to live where the action is. They are not saving anything, some I brought on full-time are in their mid 20's, still living this way and a few have over $100K in student loan debt from UM, even at what I pay some of them, which is below the median for the field here, there is no way they can get ahead. I would pay them more, but I'm not pulling those strings.

To be honest, you think like a Baby Boomer and react like one...with that things were good for me, what's the fuss about attitude. No, I do not think too highly of myself, I just have a lot of pride and confidence...I work with HNW clients and their money, so I can relate to both sides of the fence. I see how these people react to issues, it would sicken you to see how they talk, comments they say and what they think people are worth to compensate and how they don't understand why so many complain about their pay when people in France make less and live without issues. Yet 5 minutes later talking about the $500K Ferrari they are going to be picking up Saturday...

Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times
Party on SoFlo.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Party on SoFlo.
Yep. That seems to be the whole story of it.

Dumb little boys and girls.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,898,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I don't know if you say so? I think your living in denial on reality here, maybe you watch Million Dollar Listing Miami too much, which makes South Florida appear as if everyone is living a HNW lifestlye...without showing the grittier side of Miami.

I have been all around the world and I can tell you this, things are better elsewhere when it comes to jobs and salaries and the subject of this thread, your getting out of scope...
Wtf!? I have never even heard of that show... I lived in Miami Gardens for two years, so don't tell me I don't know the "grittier" side of Florida. I have been to just about every "hood" in the state. I can say that the people that live there love their hoods they like living there! They would never want to live anywhere else. Just be glad that we don't have Microsoft, and don't have to deal with 18,000 laid of workers.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Wtf!? I have never even heard of that show... I lived in Miami Gardens for two years, so don't tell me I don't know the "grittier" side of Florida. I have been to just about every "hood" in the state. I can say that the people that live there love their hoods they like living there! They would never want to live anywhere else. Just be glad that we don't have Microsoft, and don't have to deal with 18,000 laid of workers.
You're right. In Orlando my mechanic was in the Paramore area. Orlando's very own slum. Curtis was an older man, pushing 70. I asked Curtis why he never moved his shop to a better area and perhaps get more business. He said "I was born 2 blocks from here. My mother is from here. My daddy is from here. My grandparents were one of the first families to move here. nI went to school here. In the 60's I could go into any store I wanted without a glare. It was mine."
((not an exact quote, but pretty darn close to what I remember him saying)).

That is their heritage. Their roots. Their way of life. They were proud of what they had even though they didnt have much.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM

361 posts, read 837,750 times
I looked at the statistic and it's not so bad ...
Still Searching: Job Vacancies and STEM Skills | Brookings Institution

In fact, South Florida is the best metro area in Florida for STEM jobs and with the best salaries.
17,100 jobs 11,110 in Tampa 10,055 in Orlando ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida