Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
For now, but in the future there will be less "retirees" the numbers do not add up to support any other future...

So you believe that less than 20 pct of the state population is supporting the other 80 pct?

What exactly do you garner from senior citizens? do they pay some kind of special fee or something to live in FL? Just think how much retailers will get back since they wont have to give out so many senior citizen discounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
For now, but in the future there will be less "retirees" the numbers do not add up to support any other future...

The greatest recent trend in people moving to Florida is that more and more younger people --- and people with families --- are finding their way here... not just old retirees:

New York

See also:

The Northeast is getting older, and it’s going to cost them - The Washington Post

The States People Are Fleeing In 2013 - Forbes

Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
In the near future, there will actually be more thanks to the aging baby boomers
More retirees? Ask anyone under 45 if they are saving as much as their parents and grand parents or have as much assets. Fact is people are not saving anything close to previous generations. Ask how many credit cars they have and how much bad high APR debt they are carrying. A lot of the economy is driven on presumed wealth thanks to plastic.

Americans Not Saving for Retirement

Social Security will run out in 2034, not that what anyone will get without a pension or hefty savings will be enough to survive the COL in 20 years anyways.

Medicare, Social Security Disability Fund Headed in Different Directions - WSJ

People will work longer, will have to work and there won't be what we see here now in terms of wealthy baby boomers who retired at 53, with a pension and ton's of cash flow.

In Car Buying, Baby Boomers Surpass the Young - Businessweek

"Last year, Dave Rodham bought two Ford (F) Mustangs—a red one because it looked cool and a white one with a big V-8 engine because it sounded cool. They were his 50th and 51st car purchases. “I have to have a new car every year and a half to two years,” explains the 63-year-old, of Virginia Beach, Va., who says he pays cash. “After I retired 10 years ago, I didn’t have anything else to do, so I went out and bought new cars.”

Not too far from the truth, I have a few people in my development that are just like the above and know countless other Boomers who do similar things.

Last edited by THX 1138; 08-01-2014 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So you believe that less than 20 pct of the state population is supporting the other 80 pct?

What exactly do you garner from senior citizens? do they pay some kind of special fee or something to live in FL? Just think how much retailers will get back since they wont have to give out so many senior citizen discounts.
No, the future of Florida will not be what we see so obvious today. Wealthy Baby Boomers will be in steep decline over the next 20 to 30 years, sure there will be wealthy people and people that will retire but just not at the levels we see today. A lot of the economy here is driven by Baby Boomers and wealthy ones at that.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The greatest recent trend in people moving to Florida is that more and more younger people --- and people with families --- are finding their way here... not just old retirees:

New York

See also:

The Northeast is getting older, and it’s going to cost them - The Washington Post

The States People Are Fleeing In 2013 - Forbes
Yes, I know plenty...many are wealthy and moved their family businesses down here from NY or NJ, the kids all followed the parents down. A lot of people move here but it doesn't mean they are making sound financial choices for the now and future...

Other parts of Florida fit the more affordable less wealthy retiree, Ocala, and etc. South Florida is not a place where a typical senior or baby boomer who does not fit the wealthy demographic would move with just SS paying the bills unless they lived in Section 8 and even then that would leave little for a car and reliance on public transit which sucks here.

The Baby Boomer generation is the last that will have the cash flow potential to afford retirement to South Florida, look around all those communities, Bellagio, Villagio, Buena Vida, all along Lyons Road south along Hagan Ranch...high population of wealthy baby boomers who have excellent cash flow, can pay cash for a new car every few years. Even in my community I know plenty and Wellington isn't noted for BB's but we have them. Meanwhile one of my friends tells me his 24 year old son, just moved back home, no job, no education, sleeps in late and lay's around on the sofa all day watching TV and has no plans for the future...Millennials will not be picking up the slack and it will change the economic landscape here from what it is now...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...164410760.html

Millennials Are Unprepared for Retirement, Social Security | New Republic

Why Millennials May Never Retire - And Why It May Not Matter

Last edited by THX 1138; 08-01-2014 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM

528 posts, read 867,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I love Florida, but calling the area "Tampa/Sarasota" is beyond absurd. The two areas are nothing alike and the job opportunities in Sarasota are few and far between, as well as the population being rife with wealthy retirees. I'm thinking it was supposed to be Tampa/St. Pete.
Last I heard Sarasota had a 5.3% unemployment rate or its at least a lot better than California is for finding a job.. or should I invest in Tampa/St Pete? I also recall St Pete during the great recession had a bad economy too.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Just picture Florida without wealthy retirees, will be a different place still filled with tourists but a different landscape.
It would go from oldest to youngest most youthful state in the nation overnight. FL would be a civilization full of all kinds of diversity even more than it is today. This would have as much youth and promise as the Boston Celtics currently do.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Those retirees have to move somewhere. FL is a pretty cheap state, RE-wise, when you consider the alternatives of staying up north or moving out to OR,CA,WA etc for those who want to be near the coasts.
Indeed, I can tell you all about that since I had to stay out west for close to 3 yrs. Everything out here is expensive, anything remotely like the quality of life Sarasota or St Pete has is huge money. Instead you pay those prices for Sarasota what you'd pay for some hill like town like Truckee or spots near Tahoe, even Auburn now. Granite Bay. And the areas are NOT as good to live in one iota.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Indeed, I can tell you all about that since I had to stay out west for close to 3 yrs. Everything out here is expensive, anything remotely like the quality of life Sarasota or St Pete has is huge money. Instead you pay those prices for Sarasota what you'd pay for some hill like town like Truckee or spots near Tahoe, even Auburn now. Granite Bay. And the areas are NOT as good to live in one iota.
I have to agree. Never lived in CA, but have relatives who do/have and have visited. Once thought we would like to live there. For any places I would like to live (near the coast) it would have cost 3 - 4 times what we pay to live in our paradise (Sarasota). There are many many people from CA moving here to Sarasota or St. Pete, we have almost all the amenities of the places we liked in CA - we get to live in a neat mid-century rancher two blocks from the coast for which we paid well under $200,000 and have a HUGE lush lot - lots of cultural amenities and organic foods, etc.

Also, the Tampa Bay area including Sarasota is experiencing almost a mini-boom right now - lots of construction, new businesses, etc. It's a good place to be. Not surprised so many are moving here.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Also, the Tampa Bay area including Sarasota is experiencing almost a mini-boom right now - lots of construction, new businesses, etc. It's a good place to be. Not surprised so many are moving here.
I have to agree. It is amazing how much things have turned around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida