Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Glad to see Amendment 1 pass. Now would the thugs in Tallahassee please stop trying to sell off our state parks to the highest bigger already? Even many conservative Republicans want land continue to be set aside for hunting, fishing, and other recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
who spends millions on millions of dollars of his personal wealth so he can be governor.......narcissistic, imo.
Sounds like he helped the Florida economy by spending lots of his own money. It also sounds like he is not in it for the money, which is usually something people think highly of.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
The election boiled to down to the least offensive of the two. I'm a Dem and I voted for Scott. The main reason I could not force myself to vote for Crist is his affiliation with John Morgan....I have a serious problem with personal injury attorneys because the majority of their suits are fishing expeditions. I'm not saying there are no valid, needed suits as well, but they are the minority of their case load. I would be terrified of who would be sitting in the judges' chambers with Morgan in his pocket. Although I voted Yes on 2, I think Morgan was a detriment to the cause.

I actually have no issue with changing parties, as long as it were for the right reasons which we will never know.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Sounds like he helped the Florida economy by spending lots of his own money. It also sounds like he is not in it for the money, which is usually something people think highly of.
The tv channels up here are owned by out of state conglomerates, so the ad revenue profits went straight back to California or wherever.

And if you don't think he's in it for the money and positioning himself to massively capitalize on his own polices set while he's in office once he's out of office, 'blind trust' or not, I've got a bunch of lots in Lehigh Acres to sell you at a great price.

Look at all the quid pro quo that goes on with ordinary state legislators to set themselves up once they leave office. Any post-Ray Sansom rules are pretty much for decorative purposes only.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
The election boiled to down to the least offensive of the two. I'm a Dem and I voted for Scott. The main reason I could not force myself to vote for Crist is his affiliation with John Morgan....I have a serious problem with personal injury attorneys because the majority of their suits are fishing expeditions. I'm not saying there are no valid, needed suits as well, but they are the minority of their case load. I would be terrified of who would be sitting in the judges' chambers with Morgan in his pocket. Although I voted Yes on 2, I think Morgan was a detriment to the cause.

I actually have no issue with changing parties, as long as it were for the right reasons which we will never know.
Well, I'm sure we can look forward to more appearances by Charlie in those Morgan & Morgan commercials.

And I've voted for candidates not of my party affiliation over the years, so I completely understand.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:02 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post

I wonder why it is that Morgan and Morgan are so darned gung ho at getting that marijuana law passed?

I don't see any problem with changing one's political party affiliation either- and I'd believe that it happens , when John Q does it, with experiences that lead to a change of perspective, or adjustment in beliefs or assumptions that one always held. I'm a registered Republican, but that's only so I can vote in primary elections, but I've voted for candidates in both GOP, and Democrat parties- and even Libertarian or Green parties over the years when I thought they were the best candidates. So I can understand very well how one might change party affiliation depending on one's experiences- I very nearly did so years ago because I was so disgusted over the Florida Legislature's, and Congress' interference in the Terri Schiavo case.

But I don't know, Charlie Crist's political change of heart seemed to coincide too well with his decisions to run for Senate, and recently, for governor not to be just to be able to run for office.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't partake. Well, not anymore. Haven't for 20 years or so. I know a few people who suffer debilitating medical ailments, and horrible side effects from chemo, and all the doctors want to do is pump them full of "legal" anti-nausea meds of varying success rates, while big pharma and their insurance pals rape their wallets.

Yes, that's right puritans. I don't smoke and I'm wildly in favor of legalization. How's that for a mind-blowing notion?!!?!?!?!?! Fear not, Floriduh. One day when all the ancient hayseed geezers shuffle off the mortal coil, perhaps then we can legislate laws more in tune with the century in which we live.
Sorry you won't be able to buy your drugs legally from a street dealer, or maybe the local 711

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Doctors in Florida write scripts for narcotics far to easy. I personally know Seniors who got addicted after surgeries because their doctors gave them out like candy. I have personally been chased to my car after a root canal because I did not take my script for "pain med". Not an oversight and said I didn't want it. "But doctor says you will NEED it". Sorry, doctor, I know what my pain level is after had root canals over decades. Keep you script. If I was an unscruptulous person, I could have taken that script, filled it, and SOLD it to somebody else for a lot of money. This is BETTER than Medical Marijuana? I don't think so.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:15 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I wonder why it is that Morgan and Morgan are so darned gung ho at getting that marijuana law passed?

I don't see any problem with changing one's political party affiliation either- and I'd believe that it happens , when John Q does it, with experiences that lead to a change of perspective, or adjustment in beliefs or assumptions that one always held. I'm a registered Republican, but that's only so I can vote in primary elections, but I've voted for candidates in both GOP, and Democrat parties- and even Libertarian or Green parties over the years when I thought they were the best candidates. So I can understand very well how one might change party affiliation depending on one's experiences- I very nearly did so years ago because I was so disgusted over the Florida Legislature's, and Congress' interference in the Terri Schiavo case.

But I don't know, Charlie Crist's political change of heart seemed to coincide too well with his decisions to run for Senate, and recently, for governor not to be just to be able to run for office.
Exactly how I feel about Charlie. He seems to be utterly lost without some sort of political office. His big mistake (and he knows this, I'm sure) is deciding to go for the Senate when the party refused to support him over Rubio. I think that enraged him no end I really think he felt that he deserved to be the Senate candidate. Had he decided to run for a second term as gov, it would have been a cakewalk and the party would have supported him in that and found something for him afterwards.

The Senate was his main chance. He wanted Washington very badly. Failing that, he went back for another shot as governor.

I guess he's got to mark time now until Bill Nelson vacates his seat. One of my friends said today that they think he's pretty well washed up now. Time will tell.

I really don't think it matters much to Charlie which party he belongs to, as long as he can hold some sort of political office.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Doctors in Florida write scripts for narcotics far to easy. I personally know Seniors who got addicted after surgeries because their doctors gave them out like candy. I have personally been chased to my car after a root canal because I did not take my script for "pain med". Not an oversight and said I didn't want it. "But doctor says you will NEED it". Sorry, doctor, I know what my pain level is after had root canals over decades. Keep you script. If I was an unscruptulous person, I could have taken that script, filled it, and SOLD it to somebody else for a lot of money. This is BETTER than Medical Marijuana? I don't think so.
I guess it depends on the dentist. I had an abscess under a molar and had a root canal. The abscess itself was intensely painful, but when I told the dental staff I reacted badly to codeine type narcotics ( intense nausea and vomiting), they offered me Motrin- told me to start it in the office, take it around the clock, to build up a level of the MOtrin in the blood, to help control the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida