Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

[quote=Spring Hillian;37377165]How about the other 36 percent?

13 job seekers? How many of those 13 have even remote knowledge of the job they are applying for? I went to an interview for a State of FL job a few years ago. I made it to the final cut. There were 9 other people in that group. One of us got the job and 9 didnt. I wonder how many dozens of applications they had. Sure gave them a great chance to get the person who was the best fit for the job.

If a job pays less than "the living wage" either you are in the wrong field, the wrong city or dont have the qualifications to handle a more responsible and better paying job.

I wouldnt look to Orlando as a barometer of anything. The city is over crowded. Its like putting 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag. When you have several hundred thousand people more than the job market requires it becomes a problem. That is why there is an abundance of low paying jobs. The turnover on those jobs is high. People take one when they are out of options and leave when they get an option.

The sky is blue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
are you sure it isnt dark gray, cloudy with rain in your world? It IS bright and sunny in mine again today.

[quote=kyle19125;37383272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How about the other 36 percent?

13 job seekers? How many of those 13 have even remote knowledge of the job they are applying for? I went to an interview for a State of FL job a few years ago. I made it to the final cut. There were 9 other people in that group. One of us got the job and 9 didnt. I wonder how many dozens of applications they had. Sure gave them a great chance to get the person who was the best fit for the job.

If a job pays less than "the living wage" either you are in the wrong field, the wrong city or dont have the qualifications to handle a more responsible and better paying job.

I wouldnt look to Orlando as a barometer of anything. The city is over crowded. Its like putting 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag. When you have several hundred thousand people more than the job market requires it becomes a problem. That is why there is an abundance of low paying jobs. The turnover on those jobs is high. People take one when they are out of options and leave when they get an option.

The sky is blue...

Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 AM

338 posts, read 556,214 times
This is what worries me about moving to FL as a guy in his late twenties. I have a job offer in Boca Raton with a salary of just under 6 figures. This type of offer seems very hard to come by although I have verified its legitimacy.

When disregarding the fact that there are not a lot of these types of high paying jobs in the state of Florida, I am assuming a salary of $95K+ would go pretty far still. The staffing agency that I have been in contact with that helped me find this job is called SherlockTech and they seem to have a decent reputation. All the people I've spoken to there seem to know the market pretty well, further adding to my confidence that this job is something I can hold onto long term.

But it definitely is startling seeing studies such as what another poster on this thread linked to stating 62% of jobs in this state pay below the livable wage. I guess job security is something I'll need to consider. It did take me a few months to get this job through the staffing agency. Perhaps having an emergency fund of 3-6 months in cash will help ease my mind about this.

To the person who created this thread: I wish you the best of luck. I am a northeasterner as well. Born in Los Angeles but raised in western MA. I have some family out in the Syracuse area who are trying to move south as well. They have lived there their entire lives and do not know much about what goes on outside of the state. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel during my early and mid twenties due to work. There are some really great places in FL.

One thing I can tell you is how awesome it is to not have a state income tax. I currently am employed in the state of NY. I moved back up north for this job from Atlanta. The Atlanta job paid $7K less than my current NY job does. Although GA has a state income tax, it's nothing like NY's. You'd think my paycheck would be higher than what I was making in Atlanta - nope. It's about $100 less per pay check. I have worked in FL a while back in a smaller city with a cheaper COL and I can tell you that your money does actually go further.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck! From one snow-hater to another.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Think about it. If 64 pct of the population earned less than the living wage there would be tent cities, long food lines and a huge exodus of people from the state. I am not aware of any tent cities, long food lines and the population continues to grow. Strange, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
This is what worries me about moving to FL as a guy in his late twenties. I have a job offer in Boca Raton with a salary of just under 6 figures. This type of offer seems very hard to come by although I have verified its legitimacy.

When disregarding the fact that there are not a lot of these types of high paying jobs in the state of Florida, I am assuming a salary of $95K+ would go pretty far still. The staffing agency that I have been in contact with that helped me find this job is called SherlockTech and they seem to have a decent reputation. All the people I've spoken to there seem to know the market pretty well, further adding to my confidence that this job is something I can hold onto long term.

But it definitely is startling seeing studies such as what another poster on this thread linked to stating 62% of jobs in this state pay below the livable wage. I guess job security is something I'll need to consider. It did take me a few months to get this job through the staffing agency. Perhaps having an emergency fund of 3-6 months in cash will help ease my mind about this.

To the person who created this thread: I wish you the best of luck. I am a northeasterner as well. Born in Los Angeles but raised in western MA. I have some family out in the Syracuse area who are trying to move south as well. They have lived there their entire lives and do not know much about what goes on outside of the state. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel during my early and mid twenties due to work. There are some really great places in FL.

One thing I can tell you is how awesome it is to not have a state income tax. I currently am employed in the state of NY. I moved back up north for this job from Atlanta. The Atlanta job paid $7K less than my current NY job does. Although GA has a state income tax, it's nothing like NY's. You'd think my paycheck would be higher than what I was making in Atlanta - nope. It's about $100 less per pay check. I have worked in FL a while back in a smaller city with a cheaper COL and I can tell you that your money does actually go further.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck! From one snow-hater to another.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Think about it. If 64 pct of the population earned less than the living wage there would be tent cities, long food lines and a huge exodus of people from the state. I am not aware of any tent cities, long food lines and the population continues to grow. Strange, isn't it?
I certainly understand where you're coming from. I remember it wasn't all that bad when I lived in the Tampa area. Cities south of Sarasota seemed to be kind of economically depressed, or maybe it was just the large amount of snowbirds that lived down there.

Siesta Key was my favorite place to be at night. And during the day that beach was (hot as hell!) one of the nicest places I've ever been.

A lot of people talk about the amount of homeless people in these areas but I don't recall much of that.

Spring Hillian, I'm assuming you live in Spring Hill just north of Tampa. Do you have experience with the job market of the Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami areas?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post

I think you would enjoy the area but I wouldn't live in Boca because it is expensive with the amount of old money living there. I would look at Downtown Delray or Ft. Lauderdale if your looking for good nightlife and meeting young professionals.

Last edited by Fl1150; 11-23-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I think you would enjoy the area but I wouldn't live in Boca because it is expensive with the amount of old money living their. I would look at Downtown Delray or Ft. Lauderdale looking for good nightlife and meeting young professionals.
Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't looked into downtown Delray yet.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
Been in North FL for over 20 years,$50,000 homestead exempt,S.O.H. exempt plus income exempt,no complaints,no taxes.
Home owners ins,$470.
Cost of groceries no different than CT.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 AM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Statistics are all over the internet..Average by state
Homeowners insurance / Auto Insurance
W Virginia $743 $2,518
Virginia $782 $1,114
Florida $1,993 $1,830
Maine $714 $950
Buying a house property and school tax rates are redily available,,on the internet...

And on go's the list...
Local electric rates,energy costs bills can be apx. by degree days,,local rates,,,yep on the internet also...
State taxes and local taxes on income,figures are available...
Sales taxes ect.....It's all there ,available on the Internet....

I'm not trying to be snotty but only you know the money you have on hand and what your income can afford, that along with your consumption habbits...
Most people have a reason they're moving and without knowing ones finacial base it's impossible to be of any real help....
Any help asked for can't really be assisted without vitals....Like,,I got to move,I'm retired,got this much and getting this much each month...I'm looking to/for,,,,,,,,,,a warmer,less crowded,,I want to stay in a home I own and don't care where,,,I need close shopping,don't need a hospital nearby,,,lord the list go's on and on....Even in a particular state the costs from one county to another can be almost double,,and the elevations have a cost also....
Lastly,,,are you religious,,,that matters a lot,,,ie. If your Catholic and church is a major part of your life you have to understand that there are many counties where a Catholic church doesn't even exist.....So any and all imput/ contribution made here becomes useless....
The devil is in the details.........................What are they?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:20 AM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
I will only make 1 suggestion- stay away from cities and our coasts- that will guarantee much lower living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida