Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

Actually every office building I drive by in Miami seems to have a "for lease" sign on it. A couple of weeks ago I took a little ride down kendall drive, and found that offices were occupied with medical tenants, tiny import/export offices and oh yes, lots of real estate agents! I see even more vacancies comming! As you know, data always lags behind trends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 03:23 AM

19 posts, read 83,902 times
Default moving to Florida ? dont let the "sun" thing fool you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Firemed, sadly, I believe your predictions over the realtor predictions. We are baby boomers and as you know we have family in Fla. and have been considering a move down there when my husband semi-retires. And you're right. There are many of us who don't have a spare half a million to invest in a home. And contrary to popular belief, there are many of the boomers who DON'T overspend or jump in without thinking just because they WANT something. Our generation was supposed to be the "ME" generation and I think that's not a fair assessment of most of us.
I (female) lived in Florida for 8 years on the westcoast in sarasota .... I came to FL from DC with 8 years of solid legal experience and the best written employer references I dare anyone to match ... It is first of all very very tuff to GET a job in Florida because there is so many people looking .. and .. if you are lucky enough to land a job / you are being made feel that a "favor is done you" ... the nightmare of holding onto it begins .. this is because FL treats especially women at the workplace like pure dirt ! Many folks want to move to Florida for the "sun" thing ... all well and good ... but be forewarned ! Florida makes you PAY dearly for wanting to "live in the sun with palmtrees" all year around ! Not just paying with money ... but with uneasiness for the constant fear of losing your job because you can be replaced by 10 other "sun seekers" waiting to take it .. .. this eats away at your emotional health day in and day out and you become a very insecure person ! Florida employers are the ABSOLUTE PITS and have none whatsoever scruples nor integrity to speak of .... NO ! I am not angry or spiteful .. I am just telling the truth and WARNING PEOPLE of things those upbeat smiling realtors who want to sell and/or rent property do NOT tell you ! More: 80% of the population in FL is over 65-70 years of age and are died-in-the-wool right wingers who WILL in no uncertain terms let you know that they "own" the state and you as a newcomer had better concur with it or else ! For those of you who have not yet gotten the picture: Florida is a place to visit for a long weekend .... now you get it ?

Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimSlade View Post
J.R., I am in Tampa. Have you noticed it for high-paying jobs or lower-paying? Everywhere I go, I see signs for help wanted at minimum wage places. I have not looked at higher-paying jobs recently. The signs usually aren't hanging out in the street.
Right you got it with minimum wage jobs being advertised ! Florida wants people to work for peanuts at their businesses - after all - you mainly bargained for living in the "sun" and you already got that having moved there ! Florida has NOT yet heard that President Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery over 200 years ago .. but keeps on pushing the "cheap labor in exchange for the sun" agenda ! This is modern day slavery ! More: the "church of scientology" has its headquarters in Clearwater and make no mistake about it - this organization is RICH RICH RICH and with its $-power arm will eventually control the entire state .. to all who don't know: the pro-death agenda of this cult has the blood of Terri Schiavo and her death on their conscience, that is, if it h a d one ! Ever wonder why not even Gov. Bush nor his brother President could come up against the power of this satanic, devlish entity ? Simple: it was a power struggle won by the "church of scientology" ... RECONSIDER RECONSIDER RECONSIDER moving to Florida .. I have lived there and haved lived IT !

Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
I was looking to see what job pay well and its not good out there. “Washington Mutual, the nation’s largest savings and loan, is laying off 255 workers as part of its efforts to trim costs amid a downturn in the national housing market. the numbers are slow to show up it takes two months for the numbers to come out. how bad will it get?

Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 PM

52 posts, read 302,277 times
Default To Contracheck

Your replys are very very true! Very well said!!! I love every single word you have said!! Thank you for posting that! You are too intelligent to even live in Florida!! I mean it!

Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milano View Post
Your replys are very very true! Very well said!!! I love every single word you have said!! Thank you for posting that! You are too intelligent to even live in Florida!! I mean it!
Wow, I don't know if that was good or bad. A cracker that is intelligent ? lol
I find it funny most of the blogs I read talk about if you are from Florida you must be a redneck and live in a trailer park. But who did you think sold all the land to the developers to build all the homes in the first place. we keep track of the economy, remember we had alot of farms and cattle and had to know the market. I got some real good book learning at the University Of Florida Too.
But I just try to let people know Florida is not a pot of gold. Its nice but has its bad points also. rent before you put that money down. you will find a place that right for you but it might not be here. I'm not a doom and gloom the end of the world type of guy. Just keeping it real.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:38 PM

265 posts, read 904,827 times
Sorry, I have not looked at specific ads (i.e. professional or skilled) just the ads in general.

I will pay more attention to the job section and post more regarding my area.

Thanks to the folks that understand why I read the classifieds.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Wow, I don't know if that was good or bad. A cracker that is intelligent ? lol
I find it funny most of the blogs I read talk about if you are from Florida you must be a redneck and live in a trailer park. But who did you think sold all the land to the developers to build all the homes in the first place. we keep track of the economy, remember we had alot of farms and cattle and had to know the market. I got some real good book learning at the University Of Florida Too.
But I just try to let people know Florida is not a pot of gold. Its nice but has its bad points also. rent before you put that money down. you will find a place that right for you but it might not be here. I'm not a doom and gloom the end of the world type of guy. Just keeping it real.
'Cracker' ??? who are you referring to as "cracker" ???? JUDGE YE NOT Luke 6:36 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:11 AM

I'm a cracker born and raised.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 AM

Either way you look at it/all input considered - Florida is definitely not a top choice place to move to ... I have lived there for 8 years and know what I am talking about .. what I have said is also supported by many of the Florida posters on this forum who have to/need to sell their homes (that is IF they can !) looking to get out ... Sarasota especially is a "high brow" area that is being taken over by the 6-figure+ incomes ... most of us are normal mortals and don't fit that profile ... people there are snotty rude and arrogant .. they don't consider that we are all made out of the same dirt ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida