Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 7,942 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the different city forums and have been trying to identify the places that I should be looking to relocate to in Florida. I have spent an extensive amount of time in Miami during the summer so I am aware of the exorbitant humidity/heat/bugs and all of the potential downsides of FL summers.

My wife(27) and I (31) are looking for a place with new builds that ~20-30 minutes from a nice beach. We are expecting our first child in March '23 and are hoping to make the move to FL by years end to get ourselves prepared. Our budget for a home is around 1MM but obviously would love to spend 700-900 if possible.

So far my search has led me to Tampa (North of St. Pete dunedin, palm harbor etc), Sarasota or Naples(any of the eastern communities Taylor morrison by the islands, island walk, etc). We are not party people at all so we sort of threw out Miami due to that. What we are really looking for is to be within striking distance of a nice beach but also to have the standard suburban amenities (Costco, whole foods whatever etc etc) and a new build. Another item that might make our move a little different is that we plan on moving back to Europe in 6-7 years so the home that we purchase will eventually be transitioned to a winter residence.

Appreciate any insights from you all on this topic. I plan on taking the recommended advice and using it on a 3 week long trip where I will investigate all of the locations in person to see whether they make sense.

Best,
Nomad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 11:29 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
I recommend the Nokomis/Laurel area. There’s quite a bit of new construction around 681, they have good schools, you’ll be 10 minutes from the beach, and you won’t be too far from Sarasota.

Northern Pinellas is great too, but it’s just harder to find new construction. There are a few smaller new neighborhoods though so you might be able to find the right home there.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I recommend the Nokomis/Laurel area. There’s quite a bit of new construction around 681, they have good schools, you’ll be 10 minutes from the beach, and you won’t be too far from Sarasota.

Northern Pinellas is great too, but it’s just harder to find new construction. There are a few smaller new neighborhoods though so you might be able to find the right home there.
I checked around Nokomis the only concern I have is the proximity to RSW or TPA. I forgot to include the original post proximity to one of those two airports. (Northeast area of naples is 25-30 to RSW) Northern Pinellas is +-45 to TPA.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1991 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the different city forums and have been trying to identify the places that I should be looking to relocate to in Florida. I have spent an extensive amount of time in Miami during the summer so I am aware of the exorbitant humidity/heat/bugs and all of the potential downsides of FL summers.

My wife(27) and I (31) are looking for a place with new builds that ~20-30 minutes from a nice beach. We are expecting our first child in March '23 and are hoping to make the move to FL by years end to get ourselves prepared. Our budget for a home is around 1MM but obviously would love to spend 700-900 if possible.

So far my search has led me to Tampa (North of St. Pete dunedin, palm harbor etc), Sarasota or Naples(any of the eastern communities Taylor morrison by the islands, island walk, etc). We are not party people at all so we sort of threw out Miami due to that. What we are really looking for is to be within striking distance of a nice beach but also to have the standard suburban amenities (Costco, whole foods whatever etc etc) and a new build. Another item that might make our move a little different is that we plan on moving back to Europe in 6-7 years so the home that we purchase will eventually be transitioned to a winter residence.

Appreciate any insights from you all on this topic. I plan on taking the recommended advice and using it on a 3 week long trip where I will investigate all of the locations in person to see whether they make sense.

Best,
Nomad
I'm kind of unclear as to how you arrived at that summary of a metro area of over 6 million other than somehow interpreting time spent in South Beach with the overall vibe. The Miami area is full of desirable family neighborhoods. Coral Gables, Pinecrest, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay and Aventura in Dade County and in Broward County there's Weston, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Cooper City and Davie. A bit further north in Palm Beach County look at Boca Raton, Wellington and Jupiter as stand out areas...all with excellent schools. If you're looking for warmer weather year-round and classic ocean waves/beaches it's where you want to be and suggest further research before eliminating over misconception.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm kind of unclear as to how you arrived at that summary of a metro area of over 6 million other than somehow interpreting time spent in South Beach with the overall vibe. The Miami area is full of desirable family neighborhoods. Coral Gables, Pinecrest, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay and Aventura in Dade County and in Broward County there's Weston, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Cooper City and Davie. A bit further north in Palm Beach County look at Boca Raton, Wellington and Jupiter as stand out areas...all with excellent schools. If you're looking for warmer weather year-round and classic ocean waves/beaches it's where you want to be and suggest further research before eliminating over misconception.

Thank you for the response. In my preliminary research the pricing for new builds in some of the neighborhoods mentioned is way over our budget. I am really aiming for 800-900 but willing to stretch to 1MM if it is a great floor plan/home. I would love to be in Gables, Boca, or any of the above mentioned locations (those were the initial places I checked). I just am not seeing new builds that are in budget. I love the Miami metro area I just don't see my money going as far as it would on the west coast. I should have included the price/sq ft being an issue. (A quick filter on zillow/redfin with square footage of 2200+ gave me starter prices without upgrades around 900k)

Old 08-08-2022, 03:01 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1991 View Post
Thank you for the response. In my preliminary research the pricing for new builds in some of the neighborhoods mentioned is way over our budget. I am really aiming for 800-900 but willing to stretch to 1MM if it is a great floor plan/home. I would love to be in Gables, Boca, or any of the above mentioned locations (those were the initial places I checked). I just am not seeing new builds that are in budget. I love the Miami metro area I just don't see my money going as far as it would on the west coast. I should have included the price/sq ft being an issue. (A quick filter on zillow/redfin with square footage of 2200+ gave me starter prices without upgrades around 900k)

Is there a reason why only "new builds"? It's not uncommon in established, older neighborhoods for owners to gut rehab homes with new kitchens and baths, a new roof/windows, update plumbing/electrical etc to where you're in essence buying a new home without having to gamble on a neighborhood staying desirable... which is NOT a given here in Florida.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:13 PM

My wife really wants to be involved in the selection of the finishes and I want to have some latitude with the low voltage electrical. We browsed the older homes but we’re seeing similar prices for older houses where we wanted to change things. (Tile, painting, no cat6 in wall etc). We are open to a house that fits what we want but we just haven’t seen many that check all the boxes in that range.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:16 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Might be tough with your budget, but I’d suggest Boca or Jupiter.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:04 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Might be tough with your budget, but I’d suggest Boca or Jupiter.
Jupiter especially is a good thought. I just did a quick search in Jupiter and there is a new development called Reserve of Jupiter. Boca is going to be tough. Looks like the new builds under a mill are townhouses.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:20 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
You are very smart to focus on new construction since the homeowners insurance situation here in Florida is such that insurance companies do not want to insure older homes (older than built in the 90s) and if they do, you will be paying exorbitant amounts in premiums. The last time I got quotes for my 1960s Tampa home, my agent gave me a list of 10 quotes from 10 different insurance companies. Only 3 on the list would write a policy on a 1960s home in Florida. It costs $7,000 a year to insure my 1960s home, plus another 3k for flood insurance. And I am 1 mile from the bay/any body of water and never had any claims or flooding or damage of any kind despite numerous storms. Make sure you research the home insurance situation in Florida in its entirety before you commit to any relocation in Florida. It is truly a ####show.

As for Costco and Whole Foods, those are not as plentiful here in Florida as they are in California so your options will be limited. And they are even fewer on the West Coast of Fla. Just go to Google Maps, zero in on the beachy areas on east and west coasts with Costco/WFM locations, and focus on those.

Last edited by sinatras; 08-09-2022 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida