Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:18 AM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
You understand that FL does not have mountains right? There are rolling hill areas, but this is a state that nowhere has mountain biking trails.
I figured FL is flat, but hoping there are even level trails through forests or wooded areas and parks for mountain biking (perhaps the word 'mountain' as part of 'mountain bikes' should be rethought of as 'trail bikes')
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Ocala or Gainesville?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM

428 posts, read 810,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasekratzer View Post
I think jacksonville is overall too big for what you are looking for. I would say look at fort Myers, or Naples or Sanibel.
Naples is really looking interesting in spite of its small population-- I am seeing it has orchestra/symphony, fine arts center, ballet, theatre companies, shopping, barnes and noble bookstore, starbucks, ocean for sailing/fishing, beaches to walk, 2 hrs to Miami for flights and cruises.

I worry about North-South sprawl into Fort Myers but looking on google maps to the west there is just ocean and to the east I wonder is it mostly rural, forests, non-urban? If so that is cool, a little north south sprawl would almost be moot if east and west one can escape to ocean or rural nature. What is the situation EAST of Naples (nature?)? Is Naples bicycle friendly? I checked homes on zillow and it actually looks affordable give the no state income tax break that i could apply to a mortgage PITI.

I am intrigued by Naples, it has my attention!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am on a quest to find a city with these criteria, never been to Florida so I am asking those of you more knowledgeable, does a city with these elements even exist in Florida so that I might do further research into such a city?

I need all of these elements to consider moving to such a city (I have these elements in the city I hail from, just that it has long cold winters so I am looking for its clone that is in a warmer climate! Florida interests me for its warmth, lack of snow and ice, and no state income tax given I am retired) :

* isolated (not part of sprawl/metro area) population < 100,000
* international (commercial hub) airport
* one or more colleges (academic community)
* affordable housing (3 bedroom house in safe area <$250,000)
* 10-15 drive to escape the city and be out in wilderness, nature
* 10-15 min drive from one's home to:
shopping mall
Starbucks
Barnes and Noble or similar bookstore+cafe
nature hiking with woods/river/lake (even better if some within the city)
mountain biking trails (even better if some within the city)
stage play theatre
movie theaters
symphony, ballet, concerts
Tallahassee comes to mind, as others have said. Although I think you'll have a hard time finding mountain biking trails, or mountain-related anything anywhere in Florida. There are some rolling hills in central Florida once you get north of Ocala, but it'd be a long long stretch to call those mountains.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ocala or Gainesville?
Ding, Ding, Ding...this is your answer ^^^ .

The major Int'l Airports within 2 hrs would need to be Orlando or Jax or Tampa.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
OK, just putting this out there, but maybe Bradenton. It is close to Sarasota which has a TON of the arts, plus Sarasota/Manatee airport. Sarasota and Bradenton have fantastic beaches. Bradenton is a small city, one negative is a LOT of snowbirds in the winter for 4 months. Once you go east in Manatee/Sarasota you can be in small towns like Myakka where there is a lot of nature etc. And of course to the west is the Gulf. Lots of nature preserves in the area as well.

I don't think Naples is where you want to be. On paper it might look good, but it is mostly very wealthy older people, with less accessible beaches and folds up in the summertime.

Anyway, you might want to check out.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Have you looked into Melbourne?
Your list.....

* isolated (not part of sprawl/metro area) population < 100,000 ..... Melbourne is less than 100,000

* international (commercial hub) airport ..... Melbourne International airport but need to head 60 miles in to Orlando International Airport to get out of the country or more non stop flights.

* one or more colleges (academic community) .... FIT, Eastern Florida State, Branch of UCF.

* affordable housing (3 bedroom house in safe area <$250,000) .... Pretty easy to find one for that price here

* 10-15 drive to escape the city and be out in wilderness, nature .... Head South on Babcock Street and hit the Stick Marsh in about 15 minutes West of 192 and you are out in the country etc.

* 10-15 min drive from one's home to: ....
shopping mall Melbourne Square in town, Viera The Avenue, Hammock Landing to name a few

Starbucks .... Yes, we have them can think of 4 but probably more if you include surrounding towns

Barnes and Noble or similar bookstore+cafe .... On New Haven(US192)

nature hiking with woods/river/lake (even better if some within the city) .... Erna Nixon Park, Turkey Creek in Palm Bay, miles and miles of beach to explore and walk on, Also have the Merritt Island Wildlife trails just up I-95 in Titusville

mountain biking trails (even better if some within the city) ..... In Palm Bay(the adjoining town) there are some....Grapefruit Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Palm Bay, Florida || SINGLETRACKS.COM

also check here City of Palm Bay, FL : Bicycle Rides

and here
BMBA // Brevard Mountain Bike Association // Central Florida Mountain Bike Club

stage play theatre * .... King Center in Melbourne, various community playhouses in Melbourne, Cocoa Village etc. Not really far to head to Orlando for the bigger productions

symphony, ballet, concerts .... King Center in Melbourne,. Not really far to head to Orlando for the bigger productions and more concerts.

movie theaters .... Of course several and we have IMAX

symphony, ballet, concerts .... King Center Brevard County has a symphony, usually just the Nut Cracker at Christmas for Ballet, King Center for concerts but we also have Runaway Country a big outdoor concert each spring. Again not far to head to Orlando to see things or even take a drive to Palm Beach or Jacksonville etc. Even Tampa iss within 3 hours so can find a lot to keep you entertained here.

And besides all of that....it is a family oriented friendly area where most of us do get out and enjoy the wildlife, trails, beaches, and festivals. You might hear a lot of people on here respond "but it is Melboring". But if people can't find things to do here they need to look at themselves to see why they are bored because most of the time you have to choose what will be the best thing to do today.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 02-28-2015 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 04:29 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Florida does have some hills so no its not completely flat contrary to popular belief but maybe you can check out Gainesville. Have you also looked at Lakeland which hit all your outdoor requirements and its very nice area to live with the new Florida Polytechnic University.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:29 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I'd vote for Naples, you have the Everglades not far from there.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Isn't Fort Myers a huge metro sprawl area though, and continuous through sprawl with Naples?
There are two towns between Naples and Ft. Myers- Bonita Springs and Estero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida