Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 AM

305 posts, read 723,888 times

Advertisements

I don't have a car, and I take the bus and maybe Uber to get to work around the county in hopes I would save money by not getting a car. But apparently, I get people saying "This is Florida. You need a car."

I just thought busses, and Uber, and maybe even walking could save me money compared to paying monthly for a car, insurance costs, gas expenses, and car accident liabilities. Plus I'm too afraid to go behind the wheel because I can't trust myself to drive a car.

Is it a necessity to have a car in Florida? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
Impossible to answer. Florida is an entire state. Depends on where you are going to live.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
For the most part yes you do. If you live in a city you might be able to get around by bus or bike, some buses here let you mount your bicycle on the front, but there are no good train lines and it's a commuter state.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,836 times
Florida is an enormous state. Where are you referring to? Public transportation is not Florida's strong point generally speaking.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Florida is an enormous state. Where are you referring to? Public transportation is not Florida's strong point generally speaking.
I live in a city of about 100,000 people in south Florida and I would have to walk more than a mile to get to a bus stop. I've lived here almost 7 years and I have never seen a train station. I can see one from I95 but it looks like a place to drive to since it's not centrally located. I saw another one recently but they are not useful. You can do it if you find an area with a supermarket and bus stop in your area, but then that bus line has to go to where you work or are going.

I've only known 2 people in south Florida without cars. Both were drinkers so I figured they got DUIs and got their license taken away. One was an acquaintance and he did find a place to live and work that he could get around locally. The other was a crazy lady neighbor who seemed bipolar.

So can you do it? If you have no choice yeah you have to find a place that is convenient to that lifestyle.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I currently live in South Florida, and actually considering either living here, or up north in Palm Bay.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I currently live in South Florida, and actually considering either living here, or up north in Palm Bay.
I don't get it - is this a discussion question? Or are you asking for help? Why would you ask the question if you are already in the state of Florida and already getting around without a car? Then you answered your own question...

Common sense would tell you, yes, anyone can survive in Florida without a car if they have no choice, as people in poverty have to do every day - but it is easy to do so? No, obviously not. Most places in Florida do not have the option of Uber, do not have reliable bus transportation, do not have safe bike lanes, and have a high number of accidents with pedestrians. Even Miami is heavily a driving city, and very few people who can afford a car choose willingly not to have one.

I don't really get the point of the question. You already live in Florida, and you already get around without a car.

That's like saying "is internet a necessity in Florida?" while you are typing the question into an internet forum... no it's not a necessity like food and water, but most people would consider it a practical necessity because it's pretty hard to be part of current society without it. Likewise, driving a car in Florida. It's a driving state. But if you really want to prove you can survive without it, you can probably live.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM

The point was to clarify whether or not a car is required in the state of Florida because I get people telling me that cars are a necessity in Florida and if so, why?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Florida is all about the car,its the rare person who lives on a bus route and can get every where they need to go on a bus.
Take a driving course and get a car.
If you are now fulfilling all your daily needs without a car why are you posing the question as obviously you are living your life with no car.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
The point was to clarify whether or not a car is required in the state of Florida because I get people telling me that cars are a necessity in Florida and if so, why?
How long have you been in South Florida? Are you able to get to work now? Can you get to the stores you need? Doesn't that answer your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida