Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me just say that I have a great deal of empathy for any family dealing with special needs children.

But is it just me, or does it seem like there are quite a number of people with families on these Florida CD forums inquiring about relocation to the state, with special needs children? Just saw another post about it another Florida forum. I really haven't been keeping track of percentages, but some days it seems like one out three families inquiring on the Florida boards have concerns about their special needs children.

It seems that most of these inquiries come from people in the mid-Altantic or Northeast states. These areas have excellent schools and programs for special needs children. Why move to Florida, where these schools/programs are mediocre at best, in the area of special needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,639 times
A few generalizations in there, none of which are completely accurate. I think it is just you. Those questions are in other states also.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
"Why move to Florida, where these schools/programs are mediocre at best, in the area of special needs?"

Huge generalization and completely incorrect in my experience. Having moved from the NE with special needs kids I am very pleased with my school district, their programs and placement.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
A few generalizations in there, none of which are completely accurate. I think it is just you. Those questions are in other states also.
Fine. But the point is, why would you want to relocate to Florida with a special needs child from an area that already has excellent schools/programs for this sort of thing? I'm sure there's the odd school here or there that does a good job with special needs children, but let's fact it, this is not exactly something that is one of Florida's strengths.

Our local school board just recently had to settle with a family whose special needs child drowned in a pond on or next to school property, because the child walked off and it wasn't noticed by the aides in charge. Not to mention I think the assistant principal was demoted and it sure wasn't his fault, but he was the sacrificial lamb.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 PM

"Having moved from the NE with special needs kids I am very pleased with my school district, their programs and placement."

So Florida IS, after all, a good place for people from the Northeast to move with their special needs children? I did not know this.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:07 PM

166 posts, read 352,927 times
First of all lots of kids have special needs and people with kids (special needs or not) have the right to move if they so choose! Also, what makes you think schools in the "Northeast" have wonderful schools for children with special needs? Generalize much?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
First of all lots of kids have special needs and people with kids (special needs or not) have the right to move if they so choose! Also, what makes you think schools in the "Northeast" have wonderful schools for children with special needs? Generalize much?
heh, that's what I'm so often told by individuals from the Northeast. How much better the schools are up there for special needs. Heck, I've seen it here on these boards, especially comparisons, when a relocator specifies the services available up north, and wants to know if same are available down here, and expresses frustration at not being able to find what they need. I understand the frustration, but if their children are important, doesn't it make more sense to keep them where they are being well served instead of moving them?

If "lots of kids have special needs", then it would be the norm, not special anything. And if that's the case, we need to start asking why so many are special needs and do something about root causes. And we sure as heck better start preparing a future where these kids, when they age out, can either function or be taken care of some how. Because their parents won't be around forever.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM

166 posts, read 352,927 times
There absolutely has been an increase of children with special needs, and yes they will all grow up and many parents are afraid of what will happen their adult children (if they have significant needs) when they are no longer there to take care of them. This is a HUGE issue.

What I find is you cannot say a whole state has good or bad public education (regular or special education). You cannot even say an entire district is good or bad. It really comes down to the school and even the individual teachers who are educating the children. So to say VA is great and FL is terrible makes no sense at all. There are terrible schools in VA and there are wonderful schools in FL. Reverse that statement and that will be true too! Sure some areas are known for better schools but even the "best" have their issues.

You ask why people come on here and ask about schools for special needs....think about it. Everyone with kids asks about the schools, right? If your child has special needs you have to specify that because that blue ribbon school might be great for the above grade level non special needs student but it might be terrible for a kid with autism, a kid with a specific learning disability, or a kid who is gifted and also has an emotional disability.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"Having moved from the NE with special needs kids I am very pleased with my school district, their programs and placement."

So Florida IS, after all, a good place for people from the Northeast to move with their special needs children? I did not know this.

"Up north" many of the states have "local rule"...ie, the school districts make decisions locally (by local board of ed and administration) and services for special education can vary dramatically from district to district. Also, quality of school districts vary significantly (and agree with above post, NO state can be painted with a broad brush! There are excellent and crappy schools in every state. Reasons for moving are individual and the reason the parents are asking is because meeting their child's needs is very important and special education services are hard to assess from websites. They are hoping to gain more information from people that live in various school districts in Florida....in other words, exactly what the CD forums are for.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
There absolutely has been an increase of children with special needs, and yes they will all grow up and many parents are afraid of what will happen their adult children (if they have significant needs) when they are no longer there to take care of them. This is a HUGE issue.

What I find is you cannot say a whole state has good or bad public education (regular or special education). You cannot even say an entire district is good or bad. It really comes down to the school and even the individual teachers who are educating the children. So to say VA is great and FL is terrible makes no sense at all. There are terrible schools in VA and there are wonderful schools in FL. Reverse that statement and that will be true too! Sure some areas are known for better schools but even the "best" have their issues.

You ask why people come on here and ask about schools for special needs....think about it. Everyone with kids asks about the schools, right? If your child has special needs you have to specify that because that blue ribbon school might be great for the above grade level non special needs student but it might be terrible for a kid with autism, a kid with a specific learning disability, or a kid who is gifted and also has an emotional disability.
Well said.

To the OP, due to Section 504 and IDEA every district has to provide services necessary for a free appropriate public education. While there is some variance from district to district as DreamingofSunshine says it's impossible to do a direct compare and contrast between states.

One thing that has been helpful to me, coming from Long Island with its 124 school districts, is that in FL they are county-based, so it's pretty much a given that each county will provide services in-district. On Long Island as each district was pretty small, it might be required to bus a student 20 miles to a BOCES (shared resource) school which the district pays for because the district might focus only on physical or learning disabilities and not autism for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: