Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times

Advertisements

I would suggest checking into the Ocala or Gainevilles areas. You are close enough to larger cities/towns for services, yet prices seem to be more reasonable there. If I could live anywhere in Florida other than where I currently live (in Orlando and yes, it's my choice for now) - I would choose Ocala. It has some beautiful, unspoiled country, is within driving distance of the beach and is far enough inland to avoid most of the hurricane issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Ugh, I totally disagree. . Clermont has major problems. . traffic is horrific and most people commute to Orlando (a hard commute), there are indeed tons of new houses and people moving in but with a major lack of ammenities. There are problems with services such as fire departments, water, there are a lack of jobs except service industries (thus the commute into Orlando). Clermont use to be pretty but all the orange groves are gone and the developers have built a million homes with no trees etc. It is not in my humble opinion a great place to move to.

Ok, the drive to Orlando at 7:30 a.m. can be a pain. But the originator of this thread has a homebased business that wouldn't require driving to Orlando every day. I am not aware of the problems with the services you mention. I live outside the city limits and we've seen great responses by the fire department. Our water bill is downright shameful at about $25 for a 2 month bill! And it's good water. We still irrigate with our well. Clermont is very pretty compared to some areas of development. And the reason the orange groves are gone is because of freezes and the losses the growers took finally resulted in their selling their property, which was then developed. It may not be the greatest but it's still a nice respite from some of the bigger cities and their bigger problems.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM

11 posts, read 28,119 times
We live in Lake Mary -- north of Orlando -- beautiful city -- very up to date - has everything -- never have to drive more than 5-7min to get where you want. It is a bit costly to live so it would depend on your income -- but if you can afford it -- definitely move here.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylydia30 View Post
Hi all,

Thinking of moving with hubby and two young kids from Mass. Our problem we are having right now is where in Florida??? We have a home run business that we can move anywhere, so that's not a factor. Our kids are one and five years old, so we would like to move somewhere with other kids in the area. My main concern is the weather. Most people say go to Orlando (but that gets some bad reviews), my husband seems keen on Jacksonville (but some say high crime) I'm afraid of the coastline due to the weather.

Where is the best place to live in Florida that is not or rarely effected by hurricanes???

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Lydia

PS Moved to the states from Ireland 13 years ago. Lived mostly in Mass (spent 6 mths in New Hampshire bg mistake!) We really love America and we have worked very hard to be where we are today.

Move anywhere but Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami - Dade county.

You have been warned.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default Just another addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Move anywhere but Orlando, Jacksonville, and Miami - Dade county.

You have been warned.

You may also want to avoid Broward County/West Palm. Broward has gone down the tubes in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida