Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:57 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,972 times

Advertisements

What are the best and worst Floridian cities for interracial relationships (This includes relationships beyond white and black couplings)?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Most cities with military communities are great for interrracial relationships and they also have jbs, better housing prices, education, etc....

Navarre
Pcola
Fort Falton Beach
Satellite Beach
Melbourne
Tampa
JVille
Panama City
Milton
and communities within the 20 miles from bases....

Air Force Bases

* Eglin Air Force Base - Valparaiso, Niceville
* Hurlburt Field - Fort Walton Beach
* MacDill Air Force Base - Tampa
* Patrick Air Force Base - Cocoa Beach
* Tyndall Air Force Base - southeast of Panama City

Army Posts

* Program Executive Office - Simulation, Training & Instrumentation - Orlando

Coast Guard Bases

* USCG Station Destin

Marine Bases

* None

Navy Bases

* Jacksonville Naval Air Station
* Key West Naval Air Station
* Mayport Naval Station
* Panama City Naval Surface Warfare Center
* Pensacola Naval Air Station
* Whiting Field Naval Air Station - Milton

Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are the best and worst Floridian cities for interracial relationships (This includes relationships beyond white and black couplings)?
Barring living in "hicksville USA" is this really an issue anymore?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Barring living in "hicksville USA" is this really an issue anymore?
Absolutely. I had the worst time when my husband and I lived in Miami. It was not isolated incidents, it was everywhere and all the time. We moved to Tampa and found acceptance.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,775 times
I've seen (as in witnessed first person) places in the panhandle where minorites are absolutely not allowed into restaraunts and gas stations. You would be surprised at some of the towns you see that are still living in the dark ages. North Port has had some issues with violence directed at interracial and hispanic couples.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I've seen (as in witnessed first person) places in the panhandle where minorites are absolutely not allowed into restaraunts and gas stations. You would be surprised at some of the towns you see that are still living in the dark ages. North Port has had some issues with violence directed at interracial and hispanic couples.
Yankees are really tough on that...

Old 05-26-2007, 03:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I am surprise someone put Miami. I would of expected the more conservative hick towns (Bartow, Ocala, Live Oak, Lake City, Stark, Leesburg, Okeechobee, Wakulla) in Florida would be less excepting than Miami.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
I say go where you want to go, if someone doesn't like it, stay there and let them move on. I don't know where the USA gets off with thinking it is the home of brave and free with this type of enviroment to live in.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 PM

57 posts, read 296,904 times
Doggiebus, Ocala is definately conservative but interacial marriages are not unusual. Marion county is much more diverse than Lake City or Live Oak. Whether or not they are accepted or not I really don't know because I have not been in one. You definately see interacial couples holding hands in public without much glances. I know I have witnessed it more frequently over the last three years in Marion county.

Many people still think the south is land of the klan,midnight lynchings and colored and white water fountains. Of course, there are some rural areas that frown upon interacial relationships,and even larger cities upnorth that frown upon interacial relationships. Has anybody ever been to Bensonhurst ? Black people got beat down just for entering this area and interacial unions was out of the picture. Yet you would never associate racism with NYC like you do in the south.

One place I would recommend all non-white people not venture very far is the Ocala National Forest or Fort Mcoy. Both areas have mostly white populations and many still cling on to their visions of the old south. Everywhere else in Marion County is cool.

Understand there are also areas where a white person date not venture either. Not too many white people are invited in parts of the town that are predominately black either. If a white person happen to venture these areas they might just find themselves severly beaten or their vital organs punctured by a automatic weapon of choice.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 AM

172 posts, read 856,882 times
where are you now?

if youre in a bigger city in the midwest (detroit. chicago) or anywhere in the northeast. know that youre coming to the south and the mindstate downhere is still 'behind' those areas when it comes to things of that matter.

but honestly besides the yokels in the hicktowns and people from the seggregation era 50s and 60s that refuse to die you wont really get much of a reaction.

any of the larger cities in south florida will be fine. some people say miami is bad but i have yet to see anything that isnt tolerated there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida