Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,967 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are looking to move to Florida to be closer to my dad. He lives in Tampa, but I have no desire to raise a family there. I currently live in a VERY small town in WV and am looking for a bigger area, but still with some small town feel. I have heard that Gainesville offers this, but after reading some threads on here, I am looking for some more details about the Gainesville area.
I am wanting to know about cost of living, schools, (I have two very young daughters), employment opportunities and of course, crime. Any info will be GREATLY appreciated. (My husband is in the education field and I am in school for interior design)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM

94 posts, read 368,291 times
Look I'm a UF grad - I LOVE Gainesville!!! BUT economic opportunities for you will be FAR greater in Tampa

Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee1206 View Post
Hi. My husband and I are looking to move to Florida to be closer to my dad. He lives in Tampa, but I have no desire to raise a family there. I currently live in a VERY small town in WV and am looking for a bigger area, but still with some small town feel. I have heard that Gainesville offers this, but after reading some threads on here, I am looking for some more details about the Gainesville area.
I am wanting to know about cost of living, schools, (I have two very young daughters), employment opportunities and of course, crime. Any info will be GREATLY appreciated. (My husband is in the education field and I am in school for interior design)
Thanks!
Hi Sunnydee - I remember a while back I gave you info on Lakeland where I live. Not sure why you ruled that out, but it has everything you want, plus more job opportunities than Gainesville. Also, it is an easy commute to Tampa, and it is a WONDERFUL place to raise a family. It has small town charm with bigger city amenities, and the residents here like it that way. This is also a college town, with a small branch campus of USF (soon to build a large one) Polk Community College, Florida Southern, Florida Southeastern, and a few more smaller ones. Polk County is also hurting for teachers, and pay as well or better than many counties in Florida. Cost of living here is a bargain compared to most parts of Florida. You may want to reconsider your decision, at least come here and check out what it has to offer if you haven't already done so.

Good luck!
~gypsychic~

Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee1206 View Post
Thanks!
Gainesville has a fair amount of culture due the university and has somewhat of a small town feel. Everything really revolves around UF, so if you don't have any connections I'd think it would get a bit old.

Job market is very tough outside of medical field, the main employer is UF.
Due to UF there are a fair amount of very good schools. You will probably find the cost of living to be a little higher then most areas of FL with the exception of South Florida. The economy is mainly based around UF jobs and therefore doesn't follow national trends as much. Also property tax is very high as the land UF has isn't taxed so everyone else has to make up for it.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 AM

62 posts, read 348,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Gainesville has a fair amount of culture due the university and has somewhat of a small town feel. Everything really revolves around UF, so if you don't have any connections I'd think it would get a bit old.

Job market is very tough outside of medical field, the main employer is UF.
Due to UF there are a fair amount of very good schools. You will probably find the cost of living to be a little higher then most areas of FL with the exception of South Florida. The economy is mainly based around UF jobs and therefore doesn't follow national trends as much. Also property tax is very high as the land UF has isn't taxed so everyone else has to make up for it.
That post descibes it pretty well.

For a mid 30s transplant to GV it took 3 years to get boring.

The local clicks are hard to break into as well.

If you have the money there are a few really nice areas. Even with the housing slump it is still very expensive to me after coming from the panhandle.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 35,108 times
I agree. We have been in Gainesville for 3 years and have not started to love it! It is fairly expensive and a very liberal town. Gators are extremely important to the folks here and if you are not a Gator fan, lord help you. Property taxes are so high here. Propery values have really gone down in the last year, so it is more affordable to buy a house right now, but still pretty high unless you make the bid bucks! We also heard that it was a wonderful place to raise a family but have not found that to be the case, unfortunately. We have been very disappointed in that regard. There are some really great public schools here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida