Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:40 PM

26 posts, read 49,055 times

Advertisements

Hello Ya'll'
We are a family of 5 currently residing in Round Rock tx. We moved out of Miami about 6 years ago in June to relocate to Texas. We lived in Miami for about 11 years. So far Texas has been good to us careerwise, we are able to change careers, at least I have. I graduated nursing school, and my husband is about to complete his nurse practitioner studies. Its difficult to believe, but we have not been able to fit in, no home church, no strong family friend ties. We have met some friends at work, but not one relationship we can count on. All our happy memories, fun times, friends, and church is in Miami. Sometimes I feel something is wrong with us, but I feel we have tried our possible best. my oldest son loves Miami, so also my husband. I believe we left Miami for a reason, and we shouldn't go back because things didn't work out in Texas. So is TAMPA a good plan B option ? I would love all responses. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Moved to the Florida Forum.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Your husband likes Miami, your son likes Miami, all your happy times are in Miami, but you want to move to... Tampa? Do you need your head examined? The answer seems fairly clear...

Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Have you spent enough time in Tampa to know what it's like?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
What is the reason you left Miami? Why are you considering Tampa? Tampa and Miami are like night and day.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
What is the reason you left Miami? Why are you considering Tampa? Tampa and Miami are like night and day.
Good questions. There is a missing piece to this puzzle. Also what kind of housing and education budget?

I live in Miami bit am in a position where I could choose between the two and periodically analyze Tampa.

I usually conclude that it ain't broke, at least not yet, so I don't fix it and stay put. I figure it is better to invest more time and energy to improve my local community than to try to find a new one and hopefully fit in.

Having said that, previously I had moved to Miami from another locale in Florida, more or less for the same reasons you are looking to leave Texas, and I can't say I am dissatisfied with the move to Miami.

In general terms, apples to apples, Tampa is less expensive than Miami in terms of housing and education, though Miami probably offers more opportunities, by the numbers, for people with the right combination of wealth, income, connections, education, skills, and experience, probably in that order.

Otherwise, they share some common problems, such as natural vulnerabilities to water encroachment.

Whether you find a local community to fit into can be a matter of good luck.

Good Luck, then!

Last edited by bale002; 01-10-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 AM

26 posts, read 49,055 times
Thanks for the replies,
@ coconut 1 i sometimes do think I need my head examined. Ive been to Tampa twice and it wasnt too impressive, but Im not impressed with living in Austin Texas.I left Miami because of my husbands meddling sister in law who happens to be my husbands sister. She still resides there but Im hoping at 43 years old she has changed some of her ways. Im thinking Tampa, because its close to Miami, and we can drive over in some hours to have fun with friends? I just think as one gets older it maakes sense to have a few people that you can chill and have fun with. I dont have that felling in Austin. Thanks for yur replies....

Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melita2010 View Post
Thanks for the replies,
@ coconut 1 i sometimes do think I need my head examined. Ive been to Tampa twice and it wasnt too impressive, but Im not impressed with living in Austin Texas.I left Miami because of my husbands meddling sister in law who happens to be my husbands sister. She still resides there but Im hoping at 43 years old she has changed some of her ways. Im thinking Tampa, because its close to Miami, and we can drive over in some hours to have fun with friends? I just think as one gets older it maakes sense to have a few people that you can chill and have fun with. I dont have that felling in Austin. Thanks for yur replies....
If 'drive over in some hours' and 'close to Miami' equates to a 4-5 hour drive then you are correct. To me they're not that close to each other and traffic along the 270-280 mile drive can slow it down even further.

My recommendation is to understand first what you are running FROM before you look to move TO. Otherwise you'll perpetuate your current situation.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Tampa is closer to Miami than Austin, but as others have said 4-5 hours is a haul but weekend trips are realistic. It is in the same state and climate is closer to Miami than Texas. But being in Tampa you will probably encounter some of the same problems as Texas.

Could you live in another section of Miami metro? So sister has at least an hour drive but you will be closer to friends and and old life. My brother-in-law lives on the other side of the metro area from me, I only see them at holidays or special events. If she is working or has kids she probably wont have time to drive all the way across town.

43 year old woman probably hasn't changed that much sadly, if she is the reason y'all left stay away! or convince her to move to Texas and THEN move back LOL

Old 01-11-2016, 11:33 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Yeah, why not just move to north Broward or Palm Beach County if she's in Dade? That should give you enough of a buffer unless she's really that sinister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida