Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:30 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Advertisements

Why worry, we are only on the Earth for 100 years max anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
The problem, in our lifetimes, isn't the threat of coastal property permanently going under water, it's storm surge. Storm intensity, surge, and frequency will cause increasing property damage, when the insurance companies quantify the trend, rates and risk will drive the decision to live on the coast.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:12 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
The problem, in our lifetimes, isn't the threat of coastal property permanently going under water, it's storm surge. Storm intensity, surge, and frequency will cause increasing property damage, when the insurance companies quantify the trend, rates and risk will drive the decision to live on the coast.
I'm not a climate change denier (although I question some of the science behind the models), but it's important to state that the models show that it is likely, not certain.

And even then there is no known correlation between severity and frequency of storms and an increase in the ocean temperature. For all we know at this point it's possible that Florida could get fewer storms.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm not a climate change denier (although I question some of the science behind the models), but it's important to state that the models show that it is likely, not certain.

And even then there is no known correlation between severity and frequency of storms and an increase in the ocean temperature. For all we know at this point it's possible that Florida could get fewer storms.
You can legitimately argue for the causes of climate change, most of it political, but the fact is that the earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age. Changes are occurring and storm strength and frequency has been increasing over the past 50- 100 years. Will they hit land masses? Who knows but several in the Atlantic went out to sea, not so in the Pacific. So what I'm saying is, the 100 year storm may occur every 50- 75 years, and because people who build on the coast tend to build higher value properties, the value of losses will be greater. Unfortunately with insurance, everyone pays for those losses and rates increase, that will deter most people from the coast.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:27 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Not for a second. It only crosses my mind when the Florida haters in the general forum bring it up because they want florida to sink.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Not for a second. It only crosses my mind when the Florida haters in the general forum bring it up because they want florida to sink.

I don't think many want Florida to sink. I do think that many don't really understand the problems that rising sea levels will have for our area. Largest will be the impact from storm surges and all around effect it will have on our drinking water. Not necessarily that the state will be under water, that isn't very likely although some of the more low lying areas might not exist or look completely different. Losing our beaches will be a pretty big deal as well.

Sure this will be fairly limited at first but over time will become more pronounced. I don't know what it is about the Baby Boomers and their fascination with just themselves and consequences of your actions be damned because we won't be the ones to deal with them. Seems like a double down on stupid sometimes.

Last edited by aridon; 01-11-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 05:54 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
The claim of sea level rise has zero impact on our decision on where to live. We would never live right on the coast of Florida for other reasons. We prefer to be inland just a few miles, but not too far inland.
Not the least important of which is that oceanfront property is too expensive for us mere mortals.

At least we could never afford living there. Then there are the vicissitudes of hurricane season, having to evacuate any time a storm approaches, and taking the chances that a high storm surge might wipe out your property. Great place to visit, though, but I'd prefer to take my chances with living inland a few miles. We do, but it's on the Peace River upriver from the Charlotte Harbor. Best of both worlds, I would say, but I'm not worrying about sea level rises.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Not the least important of which is that oceanfront property is too expensive for us mere mortals.

At least we could never afford living there. Then there are the vicissitudes of hurricane season, having to evacuate any time a storm approaches, and taking the chances that a high storm surge might wipe out your property. Great place to visit, though, but I'd prefer to take my chances with living inland a few miles. We do, but it's on the Peace River upriver from the Charlotte Harbor. Best of both worlds, I would say, but I'm not worrying about sea level rises.
^ This

Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
None of us will be around before it gets too bad. A good 30 years away before it starts to change the coastline.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:10 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
None of us will be around before it gets too bad. A good 30 years away before it starts to change the coastline.
I think coastlines are changing all the time in any case, just as are the topographical features anywhere on this earth. It's never been static, but affected by short and long term weather patterns, the effect of wave action, glacier movement ( just to name a couple of things that come to what passes for my mind ). This has gone on since those oceans were formed eons ago, and that change is the nature of things.

Beaches are affected by wind, constant wave activity, tidal action-which itself is affected by many factors such as lunar positioning, storm activity, things like the Gulf Stream, underwater volcanic activity, and other factors too numerous to mention.
Sometimes the change is too gradual for notice over a short period, but I bet you'd see it if you took pictures of a given shoreline and compared these with pictures taken 25 yrs later. And sometimes it's a sudden change over one season, as in beach erosion after a hurricane or tropical storm has brought storm surge waves, or even high waves from storms out at sea over one season.

But that change goes on in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida