Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:32 AM

26 posts, read 23,662 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Can you offer some advice? My husband and I are seriously considering moving away from Miami. We love Miami for the weather, proximity to the beach and fun atmosphere. There is never a shortage of things to do! But we want to find a place better suited to our young family, something safer and with a better cost of living. Jobs are not a huge issue as I am a stay-at-home mom and my husband works remotely. Schools are important, though I understand Florida isn't the best place for schools. If I'm allowed to dream, we would find a good Montessori school, preferably public (though when I go back to work we might l be able to swing private tuition.)

Looking for: medium to large sized city (or easy access to one), easy access to an int'l airport, access to good libraries, museums (like a children's museum and a science museum), be able to take a quick trip to the beach (preferably 30-45 min drive or less, though walking distance would be amazing), a 3 bedroom house in decent shape for around 350k, decent schools, safe! (though what can be worse in FL than Miami?), plenty of shopping and restaurant options available, family friendly, walkable.

We have been thinking probably Tampa or Jacksonville, but wonder if something like Del Ray, Fernandina Beach, Sarasota might work? We haven't spent any time exploring these places yet... I need to narrow the list down first! Any suggestions? Anyone here who has left Miami and found happiness in another FL location? Any input from families who live in a FL city they love? Your feedback is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
Try Jupiter, it's cheaper and has, what's considered by some, good public schools. On the positive side, you're near PBI and can drive to FLL and MIA. Jupiter is a small town but somewhat near WPB and you can always drive down to MIA.

Jacksonville will be a shock if you like Miami and want access to some of that lifestyle.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM

26 posts, read 23,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Try Jupiter, it's cheaper and has, what's considered by some, good public schools. On the positive side, you're near PBI and can drive to FLL and MIA. Jupiter is a small town but somewhat near WPB and you can always drive down to MIA.

Jacksonville will be a shock if you like Miami and want access to some of that lifestyle.
Good tip about Jupiter, thanks! What is it about Jacksonville that you think it would be a shock?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Jupier would be good. Delray Beach is nice too... cute little downtown, decent public schools...easy drive to Fort lauderdale and Miami.

Jacksonville will be like a complete 180 socially/culturally. More of that "deep south" mentality in Jax. If u like the fun vibe and weather of Miami, u might be in for a bit of culture shock up there. Also, they get pretty cold in the winter time, compared to Miami.

I find Sarasota super cute as well. It has a somewhat bigger punch then a similar city of it's size. Plus you're close to St. Pete and Tampa as well.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_bee View Post
Good tip about Jupiter, thanks! What is it about Jacksonville that you think it would be a shock?
Well as Optimus said, it's a small city that is thoroughly inside and out Southern. While Miami has it around the edges, Jacksonville there is no escaping from it. It may rub you the wrong way, or you may like the Southern hospitality. Either way, it will be a huge change.

Weather - much colder 5 months of the year compared to Miami
City - much smaller, less nightlife options and less diversity of restaurants. In Jacksonville you're neither close to or living in a big city. At least with Jupiter you're never too far away from WPB/Miami.
Beaches - will be there, but nowhere as nice as in Southern Florida or the Clearwater area.
Schools - TBH, I have no idea but I doubt they're as good as in Jupiter or Sarasota.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Jupier would be good. Delray Beach is nice too... cute little downtown, decent public schools...easy drive to Fort lauderdale and Miami.

Jacksonville will be like a complete 180 socially/culturally. More of that "deep south" mentality in Jax. If u like the fun vibe and weather of Miami, u might be in for a bit of culture shock up there. Also, they get pretty cold in the winter time, compared to Miami.

I find Sarasota super cute as well. It has a somewhat bigger punch then a similar city of it's size. Plus you're close to St. Pete and Tampa as well.

I know people who moved from Miami to rural north Florida, outside of Jacksonville. One lady married a guy from Macclenny, she said it was a shock at first but she has grown to love the slower pace of life. The other people I know left Hialeah because they wanted land, lots of land. They got it! Moved to ouside Live Oak again they like their new life.

Not for everyone.

With that being said Jacksonville is urban/suburban although population density is much less. But you still have access to a large city and you can be right on the beach and still be near the city, like in Miami. It is "Southern" more like Charlotte than Tampa in some ways. Jacksonville was never a snowbird, retirement mecca like much of Florida. The retirees in Jax are lots of Military retirees.

The Hispanic community in Jax is much smaller 7-10% compared to Miami which is majority Hispanic.

Orlando has a lot of South Florida transplants.

Take a couple weekends and visit different places to get a better feel. You will know better than anyone what fits for your life.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:21 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I know people who moved from Miami to rural north Florida, outside of Jacksonville. One lady married a guy from Macclenny, she said it was a shock at first but she has grown to love the slower pace of life. The other people I know left Hialeah because they wanted land, lots of land. They got it! Moved to ouside Live Oak again they like their new life.

Not for everyone.

With that being said Jacksonville is urban/suburban although population density is much less. But you still have access to a large city and you can be right on the beach and still be near the city, like in Miami. It is "Southern" more like Charlotte than Tampa in some ways. Jacksonville was never a snowbird, retirement mecca like much of Florida. The retirees in Jax are lots of Military retirees.

The Hispanic community in Jax is much smaller 7-10% compared to Miami which is majority Hispanic.

Orlando has a lot of South Florida transplants.

Take a couple weekends and visit different places to get a better feel. You will know better than anyone what fits for your life.
Agreed. If you're sick of Miami, Orlando wouldn't be a good alternative. It's somewhat a smaller version of it,but with the same type of people.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 PM

21 posts, read 18,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_bee View Post
Hi all! Can you offer some advice? My husband and I are seriously considering moving away from Miami. We love Miami for the weather, proximity to the beach and fun atmosphere. There is never a shortage of things to do! But we want to find a place better suited to our young family, something safer and with a better cost of living. Jobs are not a huge issue as I am a stay-at-home mom and my husband works remotely. Schools are important, though I understand Florida isn't the best place for schools. If I'm allowed to dream, we would find a good Montessori school, preferably public (though when I go back to work we might l be able to swing private tuition.)

Looking for: medium to large sized city (or easy access to one), easy access to an int'l airport, access to good libraries, museums (like a children's museum and a science museum), be able to take a quick trip to the beach (preferably 30-45 min drive or less, though walking distance would be amazing), a 3 bedroom house in decent shape for around 350k, decent schools, safe! (though what can be worse in FL than Miami?), plenty of shopping and restaurant options available, family friendly, walkable.

We have been thinking probably Tampa or Jacksonville, but wonder if something like Del Ray, Fernandina Beach, Sarasota might work? We haven't spent any time exploring these places yet... I need to narrow the list down first! Any suggestions? Anyone here who has left Miami and found happiness in another FL location? Any input from families who live in a FL city they love? Your feedback is much appreciated!
If you are a young family avoid the West Coast of FL,Tampa Bay and Jacksonville are both very backwards/redneck areas, Central FL/ORLANDO has high crime, quality of life going downhill fast, you are pretty much stuck with Broward and Palm beach counties, i would concentrate my search in those 2 counties.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikitoperez View Post
If you are a young family avoid the West Coast of FL,Tampa Bay and Jacksonville are both very backwards/redneck areas, Central FL/ORLANDO has high crime, quality of life going downhill fast, you are pretty much stuck with Broward and Palm beach counties, i would concentrate my search in those 2 counties.
How tolerant and open minded of you!

I would venture to say you have limited experience in Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. You may have have visited, but have a myopic view. Jacksonville is a metro area of 1.5 million and Tampa Bay has well over 2 Million, you could find any type of community you would want. And the OP may WANT or ENJOY a redneck area for all we know

To recommend Broward or Palm Beach County over Orlando on crime rate is laughable. All 3 counties have large populations and different neighborhoods/cities. There are High Crime areas in all 3 and low-crime areas in all 3.

The OP is searching for a change from Miami/South FL. Broward and Palm Beach are the most like Miami than any other place in FL.

Last edited by jwolfer; 03-09-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikitoperez View Post
You say "redneck area" like it's a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida