Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 PM

28 posts, read 32,859 times

Advertisements

I need help choosing where to live. I'll happily soak up any advice anybody's willing to give here! I'm open to most counties/cities.

I am in the unusual circumstance of needing to move to a place with extremely high humidity year round. I have an eye that does not produce any tears and living in Wisconsin is killing me. It looks like all of Florida except maybe the Panhandle and the far north fit the bill. The fact that anywhere is a possibility makes the search very daunting, no matter how much research we try to do.

Lately we've been considering somewhere between Tampa through maybe Ocala, as the prices seem most reasonable, and it's rated with best humidity. And it's near the ocean, which is kind of cool - we've enjoyed vacations in the area. So we've become familiar with names of towns in those areas, but are open to anywhere.

Job wise we would switch to working from home probably, as we have a small online business, and are currently working to update our outdated tech skills over the next year or two. So basically what I'm looking for is:
1. Safe. We are used to no crime, so we would be a little naïve in high crime areas.
2. Humid.
3. Cheap. We have savings for a house, but our income will be greatly reduced. So as cheap as we can get. It would be amazing to find something for $100,000-$125,000 for over 1800sq ft, but realistically we know that is asking alot.
4. Within 20 minutes or so of a Walmart and a grocery store.
5. Not a "total dump" (my husband's contribution). We are used to and comfortable with rural, and farm and lower income communities. But not necessarily run down, 100% white trash in tiny beat up trailer park communities.
6. Not knee deep in racism.
7. High speed internet. I should renumber that one #1
8. My husband would like a place where you can get an acre or 2. But 1/3rd of an acre would be fine. So ocean front not so much, since those seem to be much smaller lots
9. Friendly people. it sounds silly but we're both pretty shy, and it would be nice to make some friends when we move.

Would be nice, but don't expect to find for our price range and isn't a requirement:
1. Amenities, entertainment - especially movie theatre, shopping
2. Liberal people exist in it. Or at least not everyone is far right.
3. No racism
4. Near an area with entry level tech jobs. So like within 50 minutes of places like tampa.
5. Not at the highest end of insurance rates
6. Not at the highest end of number of sinkholes

Not important:
1. Schools
2. Family oriented. My husband is officially in the 55+ range, so an older / retirement community is also just fine.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Criticisms? I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out the Port St Lucie area which I think fulfills pretty much all of your criteria.

Single Family Homes For Sale - 22 Homes | Zillow

Old 03-26-2016, 09:03 PM

407 posts, read 829,002 times
I can speak for the west coast: If you are interested in Tampa area I'd recommend Lutz, Land O'Lakes, Wesley Chapel area.

Personally, I feel you'll find what your looking for near and north of the I-4 corridor. South and Southwest Florida consists of smaller properties and seasonal snowbirds. There are some areas like Port Charlotte - North Port where you'll find properties for under 125k but then you'll have some of that out dated/white trash stuff you're talking about. Fort Myers - Naples gets pricey and may be difficult to find what you are looking for in your price range.

Id be happy to help with any questions regarding the west coast!

Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Focus/research Ocala and Gainesville as the area meets most of your criteria.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Congratulations on being one of the few people considering Florida who actually have a realistic understanding of the moving process! Usually we get people who move here who hate humidity (and mosquitoes, and hurricanes, and...).

The only thing I can tell you is that your price requirements and low tolerance for crime won't fit well with Monroe County up through Broward, but it seems you sensed that already. So good for you for doing your research! (Too bad though, because I would say that South Miami-Dade is the most humid area in FL!) Hopefully the others who are more familiar with Central Florida can help you out, and you'll find something that fits your needs.

It is nice to see people moving here with a desire for LESS racism. That is always a plus. I would think you will be ok finding what you're looking for, but as another resident of Florida I appreciate that people like yourselves will add to the mix we have here. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM

217 posts, read 372,475 times
Re: the Port St. Lucie comment, join the City-Data Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach

forum. There is a real estate agent frequently on there, FlaLadyB, who will give you the lowdown on real estate. I think the poster who suggested PSL from a real estate point of view might not be correct at this time. A year ago there was still inventory from foreclosed homes due to the recession, but by now they have been bought up (mostly by investors wanting rental properties), and prices have risen dramatically.

I have one other comment: won't an air-conditioned house affect your dry eyes? It's really pretty tough to live anywhere in FL during its long summer (which is starting just about now in PSL) w/o using the A/C 24/7.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybee View Post
Re: the Port St. Lucie comment, join the City-Data Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach

forum. There is a real estate agent frequently on there, FlaLadyB, who will give you the lowdown on real estate. I think the poster who suggested PSL from a real estate point of view might not be correct at this time. A year ago there was still inventory from foreclosed homes due to the recession, but by now they have been bought up (mostly by investors wanting rental properties), and prices have risen dramatically.

I have one other comment: won't an air-conditioned house affect your dry eyes? It's really pretty tough to live anywhere in FL during its long summer (which is starting just about now in PSL) w/o using the A/C 24/7.

Good luck to you.
That's valid point. Even here in Pensacola it was really tough to get out of the house 3 months last summer due to the heat and humidity. It would really suck to spend all the money to move down here and find out it didn't help.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Why do people expect to find areas with no racism? I mean, come on folks, you'll find racism in any location. You can't see into a person's heart. Try Utopia, but somehow I don't think you can get it for $100K.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
On the Gulf Coast I would say Manatee and Charlotte counties for best chance of year round round humidity. Once you go north of I-4 the weather is not as tropical year round. For the Atlantic side I would agree with St. Lucie County as well as Brevard and Indian River.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
That's valid point. Even here in Pensacola it was really tough to get out of the house 3 months last summer due to the heat and humidity. It would really suck to spend all the money to move down here and find out it didn't help.
Right, but it's not like they haven't invented humidifiers. OP could add one very cheaply to the A/Ced home, assuming the OP doesn't already have one. Additionally, there are Rx eye drops available, but that is a different discussion. As long as one doesn't have to worry about working in a very dry A/Ced environment, it shouldn't really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: