Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Funny that i saw steam coming out of the stacks just 3 weeks ago.
The Crystal River reactor has been offline since September 2009. There is a coal fired plant there that is operational.

I dont think you can just close the doors on a nuke plant and forget about it. I would guess it will be another 50-75 years before it is decontaminated and dismantled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 20,128 times
Good to know about the Nuclear facility...that concerned me. Don't know much about them but good to know its not operational.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 PM

Will read up on the rivers...Crystal, Withlacoochee, and Weeki Wachee. Haha...the names make me giggle 😂
Are there lots of gators in those rivers? Pretty sure I know the answer. Have them in all the ponds around my neighborhood & around Palm Coast. My current home backs up to the Graham Swamp. All kinds of critter fun in my backyard.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 PM

Looks like Crystal River would be a 20 minute drive to work, that's not too bad. Any other suggestions of towns I can check out?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcnpcfl View Post
Looks like Crystal River would be a 20 minute drive to work, that's not too bad. Any other suggestions of towns I can check out?
There is like nothing in that area. You might as well live in Inverness and avoid the long commute.

I'm sorry but that's gonna be a huge change. Hopefully you will like the area. I think the Lakes are pretty but that's about it.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 AM

103 posts, read 230,557 times
I live in Pine Ridge, right next to Crystal River. While it's true that Fort Island Gulf Beach is not as nice as other Florida beaches, I will say it's an awesome spot to watch the sun set. And we have seen dolphins out there, I just choose to look in the opposite direction from the power plant! But even better are the springs in CR. Three Sister Springs has the clearest water and is a beautiful shade of blue. Hunter Springs and Kings Bay are also gorgeous. Great places to kayak or paddle board not to mention you can see plenty of manatees. CR also has a quaint little shopping area called Heritage Village on Citrus Avenue. Very cute little shops & cafes. It's a fun place to spend some time. Crystal River Mall is a sort of sad place but I will tell you they have one of the best seafood restaurants, pizza & ice cream places around.
Another awesome park to check out is Rainbow Springs in Dunnellon. Beautiful clear, blue water and pretty waterfalls. Great place to take pictures.
We really love living here. We wanted more rural, less traffic & a more "old Florida" feel. And we are surrounded by springs, rivers, lakes & great places to hike.
It will definitely be a change for you but give it a chance & good luck to you!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Thank you for the great responses. We have been pleasantly surprised on housing prices, which is a huge plus. The beach thing, I've come to the conclusion, I'll have to get over it. Fortunately, we are still close to spend the day at many beaches. The rivers, springs, and state parks are things I'm looking forward to checking out. Can't wait to check out the little shops in CR Heritage Village. Big thanks for that suggestion! Moving is so hard!

Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 21,021 times
I was in the same boat as you three years ago. We moved from my beloved "E" section in PC/Flagler Beach, to this area. I was devastated, being used to Orlando/Daytona/St. Augustine area. Wanted to kill my hubby for taking his new job, cried...all of it. It's not going to grow on you over night, it has taken me three years to finally adjust and adapt. You have to compromise.

I did not like Inverness, Crystal River is a favorite place of ours to take the kids to the beach for a cpl hours during the week and they have some nice waterfront restaurants, don't know if I could live there, though. I did like Yankeetown, it's quiet, hidden and in close proximity to the water. After spending months looking at houses in Inverness, Taveras, Clermont, Eustis, Bushnell, Inglis...all of them. We finally settled on Citrus Springs/Dunnellon area. We bought a house right off SR 41, 2 miles from the Dunnellon city limits, just inside Citrus Springs. We have lived in all of the surrounding areas, Alachua, Ocala, etc. We love Rainbow Springs, Withlacoochee River and the restaurants in Dunnellon. We are in the middle of a triangle and it takes 15 mins to get to Inverness, same for Beverly Hills shopping, and Ocala shopping and less than 5 mins to downtown Dunnellon. We can get to Orlando in less than a hour and a half, same with Tampa, and we LOVE Honeymoon Island!

It's different, but if you find what it is you are most interested in doing on your days off, focus on those areas. We like water, outdoor waterfront eateries and WDW/Universal...Orlando, Tampa...going to outdoor festivals, etc. We don't like high traffic areas but don't want to live out in the sticks either. It took us renting and living in different areas to finally settle to where we are now. I agree with Spring Hillian, Citrus County is great if you like the outdoors, one trip to Honeymoon Island and you will forget about the red sandy beaches of Flagler. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida