Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Florida has a surprising number of small towns full of shops/restaurants many like to take day-trips to on the weekends and places like Mount Dora, St Augustine, Fernandina Beach, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs, Stuart and Micanopy have been "main street-like" destinations for years where one can spend a few hours or more walking/shopping/eating. Would love to hear predictions of towns that have potential to become similarly popular that haven't been in the past. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
The beautiful rolling hills of Brooksville and Clermont, they probably are already pretty popular.

I would like to see Palatka, Florida as it has potential, I went there through my Junior College years at St. Johns River Community College now known as St Johns River State College presently. Georgia Pacific is located there along with Seminole Electric as far as industry goes.

A lot of great fishing south on 17 and 19, west on 20 and 100 along with the Saint Johns River right there in Palatka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3UuKOkI1g

Last edited by perry335654; 06-17-2016 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:10 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I think Lakeland and Winter Haven are very underrated. They have beautiful, restored, vintage downtowns, surrounding a core park area. Very beautiful. Everyone usually wants coastal. Both these cities/towns, have so many lakes they almost seem coastal, and the downtown cores are absolutely gorgeous. Great for people who don't want the hustle/bustle of the popular coastal areas. We lived in Lakeland for a couple years and enjoyed it very much. It lacks the "cache" of some of the more popular coastal cities, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The beautiful rolling hills of Brooksville and Clermont, they probably are already pretty popular.

I would like to see Palatka, Florida as it has potential, I went there through my Junior College years at St. Johns River Community College now known as St Johns River State College presently. Georgia Pacific is located there along with Seminole Electric as far as industry goes.

A lot of great fishing south on 17 and 19, west on 20 and 100 along with the Saint Johns River right there in Palatka.

Palatka would be nice but think maybe given it's proximity to St Augustine that it could be a tough nut to crack.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think Lakeland and Winter Haven are very underrated. They have beautiful, restored, vintage downtowns, surrounding a core park area. Very beautiful. Everyone usually wants coastal. Both these cities/towns, have so many lakes they almost seem coastal, and the downtown cores are absolutely gorgeous. Great for people who don't want the hustle/bustle of the popular coastal areas. We lived in Lakeland for a couple years and enjoyed it very much. It lacks the "cache" of some of the more popular coastal cities, but that isn't always a bad thing.
I agree regarding Winter Haven, it's a little gem. I haven't been to Lakeland but it does look like it has potential from what I've seen online. That whole area of the state has some cute towns with downtown areas begging for revitalization like Lake Wales and Frostproof. They're just so far off the beaten track though...

Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding Winter Haven, it's a little gem. I haven't been to Lakeland but it does look like it has potential from what I've seen online. That whole area of the state has some cute towns with downtown areas begging for revitalization like Lake Wales and Frostproof. They're just so far off the beaten track though...
Yes, Lake Wales is absolutely beautiful. The downtown is very sad, though. I thought it was coming up a few years ago, they painted beautiful murals on the sides of buildings, but last time I was there (last year) more businesses had folded and the old hotel there was still derelict. But having Bok Tower there and the gorgeous hills and lakes seems like it should have more potential. Like you said, I guess it's just too far off the beaten path right now.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 AM

509 posts, read 517,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

I live in Clermont, the downtown is nice, but the stores, for the most part, are nothing to write home about. The events that are regularly held downtown are great though

Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 AM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Jensen Beach is next door to Stuart which was already mentioned by the original poster. However, Jensen Beach also has a nice but small downtown right on the Indian River Lagoon. The causeway to the beach is less than a mile north of the downtown. About a mile south of the downtown is beautiful Indian Riverside Park. West of the downtown are homes on sand hills that reach as high as 80 feet above sea level, which is quite impressive for a coastal community in South Florida.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:10 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Lake Worth is supposed to be the next "it" town down here. Like there's anything else left��

Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, Lake Wales is absolutely beautiful. The downtown is very sad, though. I thought it was coming up a few years ago, they painted beautiful murals on the sides of buildings, but last time I was there (last year) more businesses had folded and the old hotel there was still derelict. But having Bok Tower there and the gorgeous hills and lakes seems like it should have more potential. Like you said, I guess it's just too far off the beaten path right now.
Sounds like Lake Worth now, as far as downtown and derelict old hotel that is supposed to be renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida