Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:41 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

So I remember seeing a thread on here giving advice to people on what to ask agents before listing your home or finding a home...

I've been emailing and calling many listing agents lately and so far only one of them has replied back to me. I almost feel like looking up the owners' of these homes and then finding their actual phone number to let them know their listing agent is worthless.

So the purpose of this thread...

1) Agents - Read your damn emails and listen to your voicemail
2) Potential Sellers - The number one question you should ask your potential agent is how often do you check your phone and email per day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 AM

35 posts, read 73,387 times
Yes this^
I have requested information off realtor.com only to find out it wasn't the listing agent. Then after requesting more information and waiting for whomever responds, they say something to the effect that I will have to get with the listing agent, which is not to be found on that site. Like a shell game.
I have looked up the owners and called them directly in the past.
I guess for an absentee owner, agents are ok, but now I won't use one if I can avoid them. What do they really do for the money they get?

Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So I remember seeing a thread on here giving advice to people on what to ask agents before listing your home or finding a home...

I've been emailing and calling many listing agents lately and so far only one of them has replied back to me. I almost feel like looking up the owners' of these homes and then finding their actual phone number to let them know their listing agent is worthless.

So the purpose of this thread...

1) Agents - Read your damn emails and listen to your voicemail
2) Potential Sellers - The number one question you should ask your potential agent is how often do you check your phone and email per day

Which is why it's best to look for a designated "buyer's agent".

Old 10-29-2016, 01:55 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Wouldn't the buyer then have to pay the agent??

Old 10-29-2016, 01:59 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Wouldn't the buyer then have to pay the agent??
They work via commission and a percentage at settlement, just like other agents.

What Is a Buyer's Agent? A Trusted Guide Who'll Help You Find a Home | Realtor.com®

Old 10-29-2016, 03:39 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
Real Estate has a really low barrier to entry so you have a lot of fairly terrible agents in the mix with some really good ones.

Add to that the business itself lends itself to a TON of window shoppers or people that aren't serious RIGHT NOW but maybe in the future. The issue though is there is no loyalty what so ever. So Agent 1 spends a day with you driving you around for nothing, you thank him and end up buying something 6 months later with some other agent not even realizing or caring you just screwed the first guy out of his time.

It is a terrible business to try and make a living. Especially if you're not established and need to make a living. If you're looking to make a few hits and kill some time it isn't a bad profession. Just have to have realistic expectations. These days with realtor.com zillow and estately type sites it is easier and easier to bypass the buyer agent. Acting as a buyer agent pretty much means you'll be spending 95% of your time with people that are simply using you to open the box and see a house they might like or want to check out. They have no loyalty what so ever unless you happen to show them something that they buy on the list that you show them. You just happen to be another person they met or talked to in their search.

Not everyone is like that, but many are.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I generally always do my own researh when it comes to buying. I just use a real estate agent to buy the property not for advice etc, which is why I prefer speaking directly with the listing agent. I've found dealing directly with them increases the odds of getting a better deal as they are more willing to trim their own commision to make the deal go through.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:44 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,907 times
We have had the same experience.. Usually not just that they won't answer but never return calls. I would leave voicemails and never hear back. I do know it can be a tough business, but I would say the more responsive you are, the better you will do.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
We have had the same experience.. Usually not just that they won't answer but never return calls. I would leave voicemails and never hear back. I do know it can be a tough business, but I would say the more responsive you are, the better you will do.
Yep! I worked as a mortgage loan originator back in San Francisco and I worked with a couple top producers (real estate agents) who were netting around $2-3 million per year in income. They could be reached 7 days a week and would reply to me right away whether it was 8am or midnight.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I generally always do my own researh when it comes to buying. I just use a real estate agent to buy the property not for advice etc, which is why I prefer speaking directly with the listing agent. I've found dealing directly with them increases the odds of getting a better deal as they are more willing to trim their own commision to make the deal go through.
The district attorney may seek a reduced sentence too if you don't retain counsel but it's extremely unlikely. I'm a real estate agent so feel free to dismiss my opinion as biased. I don't care what people choose to do regarding representation but focusing on avoiding or reducing commission is often an expensive mistake. You better know the specific market very well to keep from overpaying. The seller's agent isn't going to advise you that her client's counter to your offer isn't in your best interest. It's possible to get a good deal by going straight to the listing agent but it doesn't usually work out that way. The listing agent is prohibited from advocating on your behalf. A buyer's agent is obligated to. In my small market there is a strong possibility that I'll know specifics about the comps that aren't public record that may affect the estimate of fair value of the property you're interested in. I've seen many cases of people paying too much or selling too low in a misguided quest to avoid paying a commission.

A few other points; can a buyer trust the listing agent to draw up a contract giving the buyer the maximum protection? Who pays what closing costs, length of inspection period, amount of escrow deposit, As-Is or regular Far-Bar contract? Does the average buyer know the danger in holding escrow at a title company or attorney's office as opposed to in a Florida real estate broker's escrow account?

My point in all this is that while most real estate deals aren't rocket surgery, mistakes can be costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida