Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 PM

33 posts, read 37,199 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions about the best walkable city in Fla. for downtown living. Looking for cities that have most all amenities in a core area that can be reached by a medium to short walk. Used to live in St. Petersburg, which had that nicely covered downtown, (for anyone thinking of moving there, chain grocery, chain pharmacy, numerous restaurants, bars, events, waterfront park, etc. all downtown) but don't care to return there as I am looking to live in a different Fl city. Can anyone think of anything that compares? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Miami's downtown/Brickell is the best imo, but will cost you. Orlando is not bad either. If by "downtown living" you mean just walkable and urban, but not necessarily a CBD, then pricey South Beach obviously works as well, Winter Park and Thornton Park in Orlando, Hyde Park in Tampa or Riverside in Jacksonville.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Miami's downtown/Brickell is the best imo, but will cost you. Orlando is not bad either. If by "downtown living" you mean just walkable and urban, but not necessarily a CBD, then pricey South Beach obviously works as well, Winter Park and Thornton Park in Orlando, Hyde Park in Tampa or Riverside in Jacksonville.
I agree overall but in terms of livability for most in terms of lacking nuisances like vagrancy as well as overall pedestrian safety I think Winter Park, Tampa's Hyde Park and Downtown Sarasota fit the bill well along with general affordability.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree overall but in terms of livability for most in terms of lacking nuisances like vagrancy as well as overall pedestrian safety I think Winter Park, Tampa's Hyde Park and Downtown Sarasota fit the bill well along with general affordability.
I agree with Kyle. I really can't think of any others that fill the bill as well as those suggestions. And since I live here in Sarasota, I can say think it compares very well to St. Pete, just slightly smaller. Downtown you have everything; parks (including waterfront) grocery (Whole Foods and two Publix, one north, one south) movie theaters including art house, nightclubs, cafes, bakeries, all kinds of ethnic restaurants, opera house, beautiful library, shops, several live theaters, etc. etc. It's amazing how much is in such a compact downtown. Oh, and it's only a two mile jog/bike ride over the Ringling Bridge to St. Armand's Circle for even more to do.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
As you said, St Pete for sure: Coffee houses, galleries, a Publix grocery store, CVS, parks, the bay front and boat marina, hotels, museums, cinema, restaurants, college, small craft airport, buses and trolleys (buses made to look like trolleys), very nice Saturday market, music and club venues, library, bike shop, life drawing classes, soccer field where the Rowdies play, Dali Museum, etc all within walking distance to each other. Might be hard to duplicate this place.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:47 AM

35 posts, read 35,286 times
Hi all!
How good a fit is St. Pete for a vegan, bi, child-free, single liberal female interested in marine conservation.

I just moved to west Bradenton to work on AMI. Gorgeous, heavenly nature, but a poor fit socially and politically. I don't feel comfortable revealing much about myself here. A course correction is in order...

Old 11-25-2016, 07:51 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaaa View Post
Hi all!
How good a fit is St. Pete for a vegan, bi, child-free, single liberal female interested in marine conservation.

I just moved to west Bradenton to work on AMI. Gorgeous, heavenly nature, but a poor fit socially and politically. I don't feel comfortable revealing much about myself here. A course correction is in order...
You need to get to know people. There are loads and loads of people like yourself in the area. It takes some time to get to know people. You will find more in Sarasota, which is just a little south of you.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:27 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaaa View Post
Hi all!

A very good fit as St Pete has one of the largest LGBT communities in FL and is artsy/liberal, has a good food scene including a decent number of vegetarian/vegan options, and of course coastal access for your interest.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM

128 posts, read 167,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You need to get to know people. There are loads and loads of people like yourself in the area. It takes some time to get to know people. You will find more in Sarasota, which is just a little south of you.
Pastaaa, trust your own instincts they are probably more valid then other peoples agendas.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Miami Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida