Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Interesting history of the goings-on, ploys, lawsuits. Funny that Marjorie Merriweather Post originally intended it as a gift for presidents.

Palm Beach Society and the Fight for Mar-a-Lago
By Mark Seal
Vanity Fair

How Donald Trump Beat Palm Beach Society and Won the Fight for Mar-a-Lago | Vanity Fair

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Glad we moved last year, avoided the whole mess that came after. Our friends back in Palm Beach County say it's a mess, traffic and protesters who come into town when Trump is in Palm Beach is an eyesore and nuisance. Also businesses on Palm Beach are suffering because people are avoiding going there.

Use to be a fun drive down Ocean in Palm Beach, no more.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
I've heard the nearby airport is suffering because of the added security costs

Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The town of Palm Beach allowed trump to build a helipad at in the back of Mar-a-Lago with the stipulation that when he is out of office that it will be removed for historic reasons. This would allow him to fly via helicopter from PBIA to Mar-a-Lago, without creating traffic jams. It doesn't fix however his ventures around Palm Beach County like today to play golf.

I'm sure it's an issue with PBIA, the town of Palm Beach is proposing a tax hike to offset the costs of his visits.

During the election in 2012, even Mitt Romney shut down the local area around PBIA when his plane was inbound or taking off. Once I was stuck in the general vicinity and the cops were not too friendly on telling people why they closed the roads.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Trump's obnoxious wherever he goes. He is ruining small businesses in Palm Beach, the entire south island has to close at 3pm on Fridays when his majesty is expected. All lawn maintenance and contractors out. Road closures. Restricted boating.

Prior to this Trump did nothing but fight with Palm Beach, as he does with everyone. Lawsuits and harassment. He's one big massive pain in the ass. The quintessential bad neighbor. He ought to be using Camp David for his weekend vacations anyhow. He just doesn't seem to be into the job.

And here is another take on Trump's aggression.

Trump’s war with Palm Beach – POLITICO

Trump dropping airport lawsuit, Palm Beach County says - Sun Sentinel

Trump golf club loses legal fight over memberships - Sun Sentinel

Litigious Donald Trump involved in 3,500 lawsuits, including scores in South Florida | Miami Herald

Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Trump's obnoxious wherever he goes. He is ruining small businesses in Palm Beach, the entire south island has to close at 3pm on Fridays when his majesty is expected. All lawn maintenance and contractors out. Road closures. Restricted boating.

Prior to this Trump did nothing but fight with Palm Beach, as he does with everyone. Lawsuits and harassment. He's one big massive pain in the ass. The quintessential bad neighbor. He ought to be using Camp David for his weekend vacations anyhow. He just doesn't seem to be into the job.

Litigious Donald Trump involved in 3,500 lawsuits, including scores in South Florida | Miami Herald
Yep, he was fighting with the town about his flag flying, also with the county about jets flying over Mar-a-lago, among other things, now that he is prez, he can do whatever he wants so basically making all suffer and pay for it.

I just timed my move at the right time, because we use to go to Palm Beach and Phipps Beach often via Southern. Now it would be no fun. 4 more years or 8 years if he is reelected, glad I'll only be there as a vistor if that over that time.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's devastating for the private aviation side of the airport. Ask the people at the FBOs and the small airlines like Cherokee about the impact of being shutdown almost every weekend.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's devastating for the private aviation side of the airport. Ask the people at the FBOs and the small airlines like Cherokee about the impact of being shutdown almost every weekend.
Private Aviation affects quite a few businesses too. Taken from ‘Trump Effect’ Hurting Local Businesses In Palm Beach « CBS Miami

"Local aviation businesses have been hit hard as planes remain grounded all weekend because of flight restrictions within a 10-mile radius of the resort."

"While Trump visits, there are no take-off and landings, no parachute jumps or flying lessons, banner planes can’t fly and neither can sight-seeing excursions."

I've also read articles where it also affects water based activities as well due to the security zones implemented when he is in town.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

The first time I ever heard his name was in the 1980s when he bought the property and filed a lawsuit that WPB needed to move the airport because of the noise at his property
I specifically remember thinking when I heard that "what an A-HOLE - he KNEW the airport was there when he bought the property".
He's been filing lawsuits nonstop ever since.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 PM

194 posts, read 427,915 times
Not sure if anyone posting actually lives in the WPB area but I do and there is no "mess" brought on by his visits. Traffic disruptions are minimal on the West Palm Beach side. The police close Southern Blvd for short periods prior to his motorcade passing through and I have yet to get stuck and I have been in that area several times already within minutes of the motorcade passing through. On the island, a few block are closed but the bridge that runs over the intracoastal and along side of Mar a Lago onto the island remains opens as well as AIA south of the property. There is no retail or restaurants probably within a mile of the place so if there business is down, it has nothing to do with his presence there. Most people going to shop or to the restaurant on the island use the bridge to the north which is not effected by his visits. As to the small private airport in Lantana, yes it must close according to the Secret Service rules, how much revenue is being lost I have no idea. On the other hand, I do know money is being made by the downtown West Palm hotels and restaurants as the media sets up shop near the Cityplace complex every time he is in town. I have seen several on air reporters from MSNBS and FoxNews using the services in the area and those are only the one's I know. Add in support staff plus secret service personnel, etc. and I would say that downtown West Palm is okay with the visits. As to the waterways, the intracoastal waterway is patrolled by the Coast Guard but you still pass Mar A Lago as long as you stay out of the designated security area. As a local I will tell you his visits have little to no effect. BTW Air Force 1 turns into a tourist stop with people taking photos with the plane in the background every time he is in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida