Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 57,632 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 40-something year old that has been living in Venice for the past 8 years. While I love the area, i need a new start. This little beach town is growing more than we can handle and the new population gets older every year. There is not many things or people for someone in my range and hard to find friends. Although I work in Sarasota, which has a little more nightlife, I am ready to explore other places and I would love some suggestions!

This is what I am hoping to find... Somewhere along the coast, Gulf or Atlantic side. A decent job market, since I will need to look for something. Somewhere safe for a single girl to live alone. A small town vibe (not TOO small), but close enough to a city for activity or nice commute to work. A middle aged crowd, not a bunch of party kids or people 15 years past retirement (I know that''s inevitable in Florida, but just less than Venice! ). A downtown area with bars and pubs or shops. Dog friendly. Will be renting and would like to stay in an apartment/townhouse complex.

I know that St. Pete or Tampa meets most of these qualifications, however, for personal reasons I prefer to stay away from that area. So, further north or south or across the state! My possibilities are open and nothing is holding me here, so I am ready to go!

Does anyone have any thoughts about a place that meets at least some of my wish list? It is a tall order, but figure there has to be something Out there! Im starting my drive tomorrow with only a general direction!

Thanks neighbors!
~Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:22 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Check out Fernandina Beach. It has that small town vibe with a beautiful historic downtown area, is a good bit more age diverse, has nice beaches, it's largely uncrowded, dog friendly and is a decent commute from Jacksonville which is thriving well economically and in terms of jobs.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:30 PM

222 posts, read 382,611 times
St. Augustine is pretty great for most of your list - might have to commute for a job, though, depending on what you do.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,192,672 times
When we vacationed in both St. Augustine & Fernandina Beach with our dog, we found St. Augustine more dog-friendly. Love that beach.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,174 times
key west

Old 04-02-2017, 09:09 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Fernandina Beach was my first thought. Maybe St. Augustine.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:36 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
When we vacationed in both St. Augustine & Fernandina Beach with our dog, we found St. Augustine more dog-friendly. Love that beach.
It is more dog-friendly but St Augustine is way more touristy and can get pretty traffic congested.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
You are already working in Sarasota, why not just move there? Honestly, job market will be tough in a small coastal town. If you think Venice is growing too much, you will certainly dislike St. Augustine - that is a super-crowded touristy place. Fernandina Beach is indeed nice, but you will probably have to commute to Jax for a job, depending what you do.

I would think this through if I were you. How about Englewood? That is a pretty nice little town, and you could probably still commute to Sarasota for work.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:17 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmichellec View Post
I am a single, 40-something year old that has been living in Venice for the past 8 years. While I love the area, i need a new start. This little beach town is growing more than we can handle and the new population gets older every year. There is not many things or people for someone in my range and hard to find friends. Although I work in Sarasota, which has a little more nightlife, I am ready to explore other places and I would love some suggestions!

This is what I am hoping to find... Somewhere along the coast, Gulf or Atlantic side. A decent job market, since I will need to look for something. Somewhere safe for a single girl to live alone. A small town vibe (not TOO small), but close enough to a city for activity or nice commute to work. A middle aged crowd, not a bunch of party kids or people 15 years past retirement (I know that''s inevitable in Florida, but just less than Venice! ). A downtown area with bars and pubs or shops. Dog friendly. Will be renting and would like to stay in an apartment/townhouse complex.

I know that St. Pete or Tampa meets most of these qualifications, however, for personal reasons I prefer to stay away from that area. So, further north or south or across the state! My possibilities are open and nothing is holding me here, so I am ready to go!

Does anyone have any thoughts about a place that meets at least some of my wish list? It is a tall order, but figure there has to be something Out there! Im starting my drive tomorrow with only a general direction!

Thanks neighbors!
~Wendy
You are from Generation X like me. Do not, and I repeat, do not move to the FL Panhandle or Tallahassee. Age-wise, Generation X is very much out-of-place in that part of FL. I think you would be better off in Jacksonville, Cocoa Beach, or at least somewhere along the I-4 Corridor. Jacksonville might be ok too.

I left Tallahassee in February. I quit my job in Panama City. Generation X is woefully out-of-place in that area. Tallahassee is THE comfort zone for those between 19-22. I had no desire to be like "Frank the Tank" as a Generation X guy. Panama City is roughly similar with the added dimension of military service men or retirees. Generation X is far-and-few-in-between in the FL Panhandle or Tallahassee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDzLLhcjg

Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 AM

174 posts, read 207,260 times
I heard almost everyone in Sarasota is polite,why do you want to live alone in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida