Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:46 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times

Advertisements

Florida seems to be the Mecca for British and Irish Expats. Davenport, Clearwater, Clermont, I'm sure there are other areas of Florida where the British tend to congragate.

My question is "why"? I don't mind British or Irish people living here at all, just wondering what draws so many of them to Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
My ex husband was British...its really cheap to fly here, they come here on vacation and love it...

You can fly round trip starting in the UK to Orlando, cheaper then Orlando to London.

Its amazing how many of the British flee the UK as often as posible to get to a warmer place for vacation.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Florida seems to be the Mecca for British and Irish Expats. Davenport, Clearwater, Clermont, I'm sure there are other areas of Florida where the British tend to congragate.

My question is "why"? I don't mind British or Irish people living here at all, just wondering what draws so many of them to Florida?
Two for one on the US dollars.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,755 times
We are all British and live in vero beach and there are a few of us here....

We came here for about 12 years 2-3 times a year on vacation sometimes getting flights as cheap as equivalent to $200 each. Then the exchange rate would always be good too.

I ttook my Husband 10 years to persuade me to come and live over here...I am a Nurse so had to do the exam and to took 3 years from start to finish to get here. We have been here 20 months now and have been made to feel very welcome by everybody and dont regret it for a minute.

OUr house is huge in comparison to what we had in the UK...our ensuite is bigger than what our kitchen was in the UK !!!! ANd of course the weather doesnt compare whatsoever!!! LOL

Originally we wanted up by Davenport and did have property up there but realised there was a lot more to Florida than the parks and all the vacation stuff.....we liked Vero beach and Sebastian and realised AFTER we bought that we had been through here on Honeymoon and thoght it was an omen!!!

The main reason we chose Vero was becuase I was offered a job I liked here - the other job offer I had was Deland but preferred down here...

Old 06-08-2007, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 19,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

Property prices......a 3 bedroom semi-detached house (the Englishman's home is his castle!) located in greater London now costs a minimum of around £250,000 ($500,000) and this is `bog standard'. Prices are rocketing in the UK because its a small overcrowded island, with archaic town planning regulations, that also make it difficult to build more houses, to meet the rising demand.

Zoom over to FL and in addition to the points raised by previous posters, property prices, by comparison have fallen there by 20% recently....right? Set this statistic against a 10% average rise in the UK. This phenomenon is what Warren Buffet might refer to as `risk arbitrage' opening up property investment possibilities for Brits....especially if its subsequently lettable on a medium to long term basis; i.e not, short term holiday/vacation lets......too much management costs.

Many of us used to look to Spain for a place in the sun, but so many have travelled the Spanish route over the last 20 years, that property prices over there are at least comparable to the UK or even more expensive. But there's "reasons to be cheerful.....one, two, three"!.......who did that one?....Ian Dury about 1978?......with all this cheap air travel, finding residential property is now global. A friend of mine lives in a rented trailer/caravan in Clacton UK during the summer, but has bought a bungalow in Goa, India for £30,000 ($60,000) and lives in it during the winter (letting it out when absent).
Cheers BS
Moderator cut

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-21-2007 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: unrelated link

Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Everything is cheaper in Florida. Gas is $15 a gallon in the UK, taxes are super high (think 60% if you make a good living) compared to the US and especially to FL with no state income tax.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Everything is cheaper in Florida. Gas is $15 a gallon in the UK, taxes are super high (think 60% if you make a good living) compared to the US and especially to FL with no state income tax.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,461 times
Where do most of us Brits live in FL?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:12 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,755 times
We are all scattered about. there are a few of us in Vero beach and I knwo people in Titusville, St, Augustine and PSL. I know a few brits in orlando area and a lot of them are on the west coast too.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:02 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I have heard there are quite a few here in Polk County - Lakeland, Winter Haven, etc. I believe it's because they get a tremendous value for their money in this area, which is very beautiful, and it is centrally located to EVERYTHING (between Tampa and Orlando). They love to vacation here, too. Some have even opened up businesses in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida