Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM

57 posts, read 127,137 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from Hillsborough County to Hernando County because property is cheaper. I wonder if anyone can compare the two counties? We plan to take a trip up in the next month or so. Life keeps getting in the way and we haven't made it up yet, and I'm so curious! Houses and land are a lot cheaper. Does the area look the same? Is it more trashy, more trailers etc? I'm thinking Brooksville, Weeki Wachee, Webster....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:40 AM

27,211 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Brooksville is actually a fairly quaint old-Florida town that I would recommend most of the area you're focusing on. The rest is pretty rural and not probably what you would have in mind.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM

57 posts, read 127,137 times
We like rural! We want to be out in the country,

Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
We like rural! We want to be out in the country,
Then I would look at Sumter County which is fairly rural throughout showing zero sign of change anytime soon. Bushnell is about the only town with any decent stores (grocery/drug) and a few miles out is as rural as you could want.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
It's nice out there and if rural is what you want, rural is what you'll get. I just want to mention one thing in regards to the Bushnell area - internet access can be a trouble spot. The "in-town" area is largely wired for cable but the rest of the area can only get CenturyLink DSL. The problem there is that all of their circuits are full and there is a waiting list. When my stepdaughter bought her house and the previous owner cancelled their DSL service - someone on the waiting list got the circuit. So, she can't get internet service from anyone at her address. Had the previous owner transferred their service she would have been golden.

They got a T-Mobile hotspot and use that just so they have some connectivity.

I just thought this was worth mentioning. Other nearby rural areas might not be as troublesome in this regard.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
It's nice out there and if rural is what you want, rural is what you'll get. I just want to mention one thing in regards to the Bushnell area - internet access can be a trouble spot. The "in-town" area is largely wired for cable but the rest of the area can only get CenturyLink DSL. The problem there is that all of their circuits are full and there is a waiting list. When my stepdaughter bought her house and the previous owner cancelled their DSL service - someone on the waiting list got the circuit. So, she can't get internet service from anyone at her address. Had the previous owner transferred their service she would have been golden.

They got a T-Mobile hotspot and use that just so they have some connectivity.

I just thought this was worth mentioning. Other nearby rural areas might not be as troublesome in this regard.
You can get Hughesnet Satellite Internet which is as consistent as cable and while not as fast as some, quick enough for most. https://www.hughesnet.com/

Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Satellite has come a long way, but it may not be for everyone especially with the popularity of Netflix, Amazon Prime, SlingTV, and similar products.

It's capped, but now they are "soft" caps, similar to what cellular providers now do. It'll still work beyond your data plan limit but they throttle you down.

My point is that I just wanted to relay the information it so there are no surprises - to hopefully prevent someone from ending up in a similar situation.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Satellite has come a long way, but it may not be for everyone especially with the popularity of Netflix, Amazon Prime, SlingTV, and similar products.

It's capped, but now they are "soft" caps, similar to what cellular providers now do. It'll still work beyond your data plan limit but they throttle you down.

My point is that I just wanted to relay the information it so there are no surprises - to hopefully prevent someone from ending up in a similar situation.
True but for the average internet user who still watches programming on cable/satellite TV it works perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida