Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 AM

69 posts, read 112,427 times

Advertisements

I am working in software development and have lived in cold North east for a long time and would like to move somewhere south where it is sunny and I can have mild winters. So naturally FL is on my list due to the climatic and geographical conditions. I am however unable to decide which city/area I should choose to settle down and call home.

I am looking for the following :
1) good IT /Software jobs (propsects of more than 100k/yr)
2) good schools for my kids.
3) affordable housing (rent & own)
4) close to beach.

Looking for valuable advice from the friendly CDers.
Thanks!

Last edited by vagabond31; 07-24-2017 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,859,226 times
... Depends on what you mean by 'software development', but, in that salary range you may want to focus on some of the large defense contractors (Harris, Northrop, Boeing, Lockheed, etc. in Central Florida - Orlando, Melbourne areas).

Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
... Depends on what you mean by 'software development', but, in that salary range you may want to focus on some of the large defense contractors (Harris, Northrop, Boeing, Lockheed, etc. in Central Florida - Orlando, Melbourne areas).
Thanks for your inputs jghorton. How are the rents for a 2b/2b apartment in these areas? How would you rate the schools in these suburbs?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM

16 posts, read 20,801 times
Tampa Bay Area, without question.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,349,752 times
Your biggest issue will be salary. Florida isn't known for high salaries so find the job first before you even start thinking about an area to settle. Very unlikely you'll be earning anywhere near what you want unless you fill a VERY special niche.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
I am working in software development and have lived in cold North east for a long time and would like to move somewhere south where it is sunny and I can have mild winters. So naturally FL is on my list due to the climatic and geographical conditions. I am however unable to decide which city/area I should choose to settle down and call home.

4) close to beach.

Thanks!
Florida in general isn't exactly overrun with software development jobs but given your criteria for affordable housing, good schools and proximity to the beach I would recommend Jacksonville. It has also developed (largely under the radar) into one of the top dozen or so hot spots for tech jobs in general the past several years. The schools are among the best in Florida with Nassau County (the suburbs to the north in Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island) ranked #1 in the state, followed by St John's County at #2 (the suburbs to the south in/around Ponte Vedra Beach and points inland near the planned community of Nocatee). Salaries will be more in line with 85K-90K most likely and perhaps the rare chance at 100K, but bear in mind the cost of living will be noticeably lower than other major Florida cities.

http://jaxusa.org/doing-business-here/top-employers
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl.../#7a4485847b86

Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddledidee View Post
Tampa Bay Area, without question.
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Your biggest issue will be salary. Florida isn't known for high salaries so find the job first before you even start thinking about an area to settle. Very unlikely you'll be earning anywhere near what you want unless you fill a VERY special niche.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida in general isn't exactly overrun with software development jobs but given your criteria for affordable housing, good schools and proximity to the beach I would recommend Jacksonville. It has also developed (largely under the radar) into one of the top dozen or so hot spots for tech jobs in general the past several years. The schools are among the best in Florida with Nassau County (the suburbs to the north in Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island) ranked #1 in the state, followed by St John's County at #2 (the suburbs to the south in/around Ponte Vedra Beach and points inland near the planned community of Nocatee). Salaries will be more in line with 85K-90K most likely and perhaps the rare chance at 100K, but bear in mind the cost of living will be noticeably lower than other major Florida cities.

Top Employers | JAXUSA
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl.../#7a4485847b86
Thanks buddy. Will check out that part of FL as well.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,650,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post

4) close to beach.

Thanks!
I would recommend the I-4 corridor. There are excellent software jobs in the area. The cost of living is lower than Miami (relatively). It is also culturally and demographically more amenable to the "upper east coast transplant". The I-4 corridor is the stretch of freeway between Orlanda and Tampa (inclusively). Try the I-4 corridor. Just go to dice.com. Maybe you can work at Disneyworld. They need Java/Maven experts all the time (LOL). Best wishes.

Beware#1: Miami/Fort lauderdale is horribly congested and more like a Latin America/Caribbean city rather than a typical East Coast area.

Beware#2: North Florida is culturally and demographically much like the "Confederate Southern States". The FL Panhandle is very much a part of the "Deep South" or "Bible Belt".

So try Central FL and the I-4 corridor.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:13 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,356,173 times
Space coast/Brevard has traditionally been a strong county for schools and has a nice collection of aerospace and defense companies who might have jobs in your area. Plus rent should be reasonably affordable compared to the bigger cities

Old 07-26-2017, 05:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I
Beware#2: North Florida is culturally and demographically much like the "Confederate Southern States".
Bullhonkey. Jacksonville is nowhere near that description and wouldn't be one of the several fastest growing cities in the US otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida