Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't know where you are, but here most days it's sunny in the AM, and the clouds tend to roll in in the mid-afternoon. The showers and storms, when we get them, last at the most maybe an hour, and are very regional, ie, raining in some areas, not others. The sun, albeit along with some clouds most often, comes back out towards the evening.

Typical, as I see it from the perspective of living in FL for over 40 yrs, of a Florida summer day. Still lots of sun, though as others have said, I welcome the cloud cover, when it happens, for the accompanying cooler (a little, anyway) temperatures.
While I have not lived in FL (yet, moving in next year) I have been all over the State in every month for years and the Sun is the predominate feature. The rains have always been short (Except when a major storm hits) and a few clouds are nice. Can't remember a totally overcast day, though I am sure once in a blue moon they exist. Best weather of any State except CA (SoCal) and if it weren't for the humidity it would be the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 AM

686 posts, read 622,836 times
You natives have no idea what gloomy weather really is. Even when it's cloudy down here, it's bright.

You want gloom, hang out in Seattle or Portland during the winter.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM

97 posts, read 124,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
You natives have no idea what gloomy weather really is. Even when it's cloudy down here, it's bright.

You want gloom, hang out in Seattle or Portland during the winter.

^
This. One of the major reasons I'm leaving Portland for Florida next year, if you like dark, grey, dank and cold rain from mid-October-May with very few sunbreaks, Portland is your weather haven.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a native and long time resident it seems the past couple years has provided a noticeable lack of sunshine compared to prior years, so this morning I did a quick check of the weather almanac in my zip code (Central Florida) since January 1st of this year. Of the 210 days give or take a day, 110 are listed as "overcast" meaning slightly better than 50% were "cloudy days" with minimal sunshine. When one takes into consideration Seattle's sunny days quota is around 47%, one can see where the Sunshine State tag seems a bit skewed!
Once again, it's why personal experience triumphs blind stats.

An overcast day here is usually mixed with pockets of sunshine because Florida's weather changes every hour. In Seattle (having lived there) when it's overcast, it's overcast 100%, the entire day, dreary with a light drizzling rain, which is much different than Florida's overcast where there will always be some part of the day with sunshine. But hey, if you don't believe me, move to Seattle or Portland :P

Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
I think the point of this thread isn't really to compare FL to other states, but more to compare recent weather trends to those of a few years ago.
This year in particular has been pretty off. It's been unusually cloudy for long stretches of the day this summer, whereas the usual pattern would be sunny morning, an hour or two of monsoon-ish storm during the mid afternoon, followed by another stretch of sunny heat. We haven't seen much of this this summer.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:53 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I think the point of this thread isn't really to compare FL to other states, but more to compare recent weather trends to those of a few years ago.
This year in particular has been pretty off. It's been unusually cloudy for long stretches of the day this summer, whereas the usual pattern would be sunny morning, an hour or two of monsoon-ish storm during the mid afternoon, followed by another stretch of sunny heat. We haven't seen much of this this summer.
Not where I live. Been bright and sunny all day here, and yesterday in fact.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98IndyPacecarguy View Post
^
This. One of the major reasons I'm leaving Portland for Florida next year, if you like dark, grey, dank and cold rain from mid-October-May with very few sunbreaks, Portland is your weather haven.
It's why the bridges heading into downtown have suicide hotline numbers on them.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not where I live. Been bright and sunny all day here, and yesterday in fact.
That's a special bubble you're in, we have had over 7 inches of rain the past two weeks in Central Florida with very little sunshine.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
That's a special bubble you're in, we have had over 7 inches of rain the past two weeks in Central Florida with very little sunshine.
And Tampa Bay. I've been here for two weeks now and it's been primarily overcast.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
There's another bubble in west Pasco that is a desert. I'm sure you've read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida