Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM

686 posts, read 623,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Not to join the argument, but just wanted to throw in some dollar amounts on tolls.

In NYS it cost me $4 to travel from Rochester to Syracuse which is about 90 miles away.

In FL it seems you get charged $0.75 for every 5 miles or less that you travel (Which is the case for me via 429 in Orlando and more when I was in Miami using the turnpike extension)
Not to mention many of the tolled roads in FL are along commuter routes. So unless you're into torture and want to drive I-4 or 75 in rush hour (which, again, goes back to the poor infrastructure planning in FL), you'll likely have to use them at some point or another. I can't speak to commuting along 95 in FL but if it's anything like 95 in the DC area, I'd rather have dental surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Not to mention many of the tolled roads in FL are along commuter routes. So unless you're into torture and want to drive I-4 or 75 in rush hour (which, again, goes back to the poor infrastructure planning in FL), you'll likely have to use them at some point or another. I can't speak to commuting along 95 in FL but if it's anything like 95 in the DC area, I'd rather have dental surgery.
So people don't commute on I-4, I-75 or I-95? You're just full of fake news today aren't you?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Not to join the argument, but just wanted to throw in some dollar amounts on tolls.

In NYS it cost me $4 to travel from Rochester to Syracuse which is about 90 miles away.

In FL it seems you get charged $0.75 for every 5 miles or less that you travel (Which is the case for me via 429 in Orlando and more when I was in Miami using the turnpike extension)
What does it costs to go from Rochester to Palmyra or Lyons?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Are you retarded? Honest question.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:48 PM

461 posts, read 555,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not really surprising given the lack of spending on roads/infrastructure, education and other public services...and it's hardly worth celebrating unless you get off on deprivation of others less fortunate.
Thank you.. If anything is looking "Good" here, its always at the expense of someone else or something else. There is very rarely an honest living available to be made in the area. They can sell how TB area is going good In job growth or the unemployment dropped but lets face it, employers don't give a fair shake and jobs are hard to find if you don't have a set skill. Massage is a pain also if you're getting into that. Despite all the offerings the area has, I am about to hang it up down here. I am not or have not made the headway I thought I would socially, economically and once everything gets gentrified, I wont be able to afford it anyhow in just 2 years probably. A lot of no good people come down here.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
Thank you.. If anything is looking "Good" here, its always at the expense of someone else or something else. There is very rarely an honest living available to be made in the area. They can sell how TB area is going good In job growth or the unemployment dropped but lets face it, employers don't give a fair shake and jobs are hard to find if you don't have a set skill. Massage is a pain also if you're getting into that. Despite all the offerings the area has, I am about to hang it up down here. I am not or have not made the headway I thought I would socially, economically and once everything gets gentrified, I wont be able to afford it anyhow in just 2 years probably. A lot of no good people come down here.
Your complaint can fit just about every State now. Plus in desirable areas it is worse, as more people want to live there and it actually drives salaries down and costs up.

The key is to change your course, either through additional education, starting a business doing something you like or joining with someone and starting a business. I did that years ago and started in my garage while doing landscaping to pay my bills. Today I own 3 Businesses and do business world wide and ...... I never went to college. Life is changing and we cannot expect what worked years ago to still work today. In most developed Countries you either have a good skill or own your own business and if not, life is not too good.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
N.Y. tolls the main interstate in N.Y. There is NO alternative.

FL doesn't toll the main interstate in FL. There are in fact alternative to the tolls in FL in many case, and no toll is required for travel between cities on the interstates.

NYC also charges people up to $17 to cross a bridge

You've got nothing. And that's without accounting for the worse property, sales and income taxes in N.Y.
This will depend on what route you take within the state. I-81, I-86, I-88, I-87 north of Albany and I-390 do not tolls.

There are others routes one COULD take as well. For instance, you could get from Syracuse to Rochester via I-81 to 370 to 104 West and it isn't much longer due to less traffic(maybe 15 minutes longer). So, there may be alternatives depending on where you are going.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What does it costs to go from Rochester to Palmyra or Lyons?
It will depend on the Rochester entrance, as there are 3 Rochester exits on the Thruway. An alternative could be Route 31(or I-490 to Route 31).

Old 08-23-2017, 05:45 PM

461 posts, read 555,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Your complaint can fit just about every State now. Plus in desirable areas it is worse, as more people want to live there and it actually drives salaries down and costs up.

The key is to change your course, either through additional education, starting a business doing something you like or joining with someone and starting a business. I did that years ago and started in my garage while doing landscaping to pay my bills. Today I own 3 Businesses and do business world wide and ...... I never went to college. Life is changing and we cannot expect what worked years ago to still work today. In most developed Countries you either have a good skill or own your own business and if not, life is not too good.
It should never be that way though. This is why white nationalism or Pan Europeanism is rising here and in Europe especially. The people start to have enough when the struggle goes too long. And those jobs aren't coming back from China or India now.. forget it. I didn't fully drink the Trump kool aid. I don't buy his bs about 1 million new jobs either and under Obama, some of those same jobs were available like oil drilling or oil rig jobs and you had to go a long ways to move there often times. Its never worth it when you check that trade off too. I am just in the process of finding whats right for me.. Not chasing the economy in the next place I go, expect that I will be out of work and will have to depend on more saved money from living at home so I can go on my next venture. They get better and better as they go so the next one I make will be from a mature older mans mind.. This move to FL had to happen even through the disappointments because I am going in steps despite some of the bad and even if I do have to leave and get closer to where my family is. I am looking at the country though now and possibly buying a cheaper house or get something cheaper than anything I've gotten here or maybe home ownership possibility which I will not do in FL for sure given the extra hurricane insurance costs with electric and water. I'll even move to some decrepit town if its quieter and more vanilla with that old time feel that a lot of FL is losing or is replaced by all kinds of junkies. I thrive on wholesome. In disarray I get tougher yes, but its still not ideal for me. I grew up middle class to upper middle after all in Massachusetts so, FL is still foreign to me even after all this time like how blacks go everywhere whites go. It wasn't like that so much back home or the delis in the supermarket specialized in lobster stuff or huge selections of coldcuts and long lines for them. It wasn't like all that gross fried chicken or that subpar potato salad that Winn Dixie has or even Publix. But ya it wasn't unusual to have a supermarket deli on the regular being 3/4ths the quality of a Mazzaros type place. you cant look at Winn Dixie and say the same lol.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This will depend on what route you take within the state. I-81, I-86, I-88, I-87 north of Albany and I-390 do not tolls.

There are others routes one COULD take as well. For instance, you could get from Syracuse to Rochester via I-81 to 370 to 104 West and it isn't much longer due to less traffic(maybe 15 minutes longer). So, there may be alternatives depending on where you are going.
No reasonable way to go across all of nys without taking the thruway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida