Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,927 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are thinking of moving to North Fl, Fernandina Beach, Yulee area, can you give me your thoughts on the area? Would like to find a home with at least a 1/2 acre or more lot. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have long considered the area myself and having investigated for awhile would highly recommend it if looking for close proximity to a big city with an "old Florida" feel including the beautiful historic areas in Fernandina Beach's historic downtown and the beaches of Amelia Island. Yulee is a community of typically lower density housing (larger lots) though there has been some growth in the typical new home construction seen around Florida. It's location is the best in terms of ease of access to Jacksonville with it's proximity to I-95 yet still close to the beaches/Fernandina. If schools are part of the equation Nassau County is the new top-ranked district in the state, passing St John's County (southern suburbs of Jacksonville) this year. I don't have a handle on crime/safety though from what I've researched it appears to be pretty safe and most crime of the nuisance variety (property crimes, etc).

Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
This should be very available in Yulee though I have never actually searched for it. My knowledge of Fernandina Beach is limited to the historic downtown and the coastal homes, neither of which really seem to offer any large lots like you're seeking. Yulee is relatively undeveloped and very suburban, but it is growing fast and more amenities are coming to the area. You would be 30-45 minutes from many more things to do in Jax.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlandgirlnc View Post
Hello, we are thinking of moving to North Fl, Fernandina Beach, Yulee area, can you give me your thoughts on the area? Would like to find a home with at least a 1/2 acre or more lot. Thank you
Yulee is a nice area with homes available to fit your needs. My wife and I have visited there and Amelia Island many times. We looked at moving there, but aside from Jacksonville we felt it was too far from anything else.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yulee is a nice area with homes available to fit your needs. My wife and I have visited there and Amelia Island many times. We looked at moving there, but aside from Jacksonville we felt it was too far from anything else.
It is day trip distance from Savannah (90 minutes) which is a nice perk.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It is day trip distance from Savannah (90 minutes) which is a nice perk.
True, but that is about it. I love the area and we visited several times looking at homes, but decided to buy further South on the East Coast/Central.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Fernandina Beach is probably my favorite Atlantic coast city in Florida. It has history, character, and tons of natural beauty. It's also an easy drive to Jax for big city needs. It's similar to St Augustine, but not quite as touristy.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:25 PM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
I live in Fernandina. You want a 1/2 acre on the island? How much money do you have? Anything is possible for the right price. It is a fairly small island so land is expensive. As others have stated you can find a place off island with land and overall quite a bit cheaper. The only drawback is your not on the island. I wouldn't personally want to live in Yulee. You can still get a country homestead just off island which would be most appealing to me but most of it is just tract housing, with mall sprawl down the main strip. There is no "town" of yulee as one thinks of a town with a main street stores and neighborhoods. However, never fear the paper mill is now building a town. Going to have 30,000 homes, a school and stores all enclosed in a self contained corporate village. If your into that then there is alot of opportunities in yulee.

Last edited by squarpeg; 08-27-2017 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I live in Fernandina. You want a 1/2 acre on the island? How much money do you have? Anything is possible for the right price. It is a fairly small island so land is expensive. As others have stated you can find a place off island with land and overall quite a bit cheaper. The only drawback is your not on the island. I wouldn't personally want to live in Yulee. You can still get a country homestead just off island which would be most appealing to me but most of it is just tract housing, with mall sprawl down the main strip. There is no "town" of yulee as one thinks of a town with a main street stores and neighborhoods. However, never fear the paper mill is now building a town. Going to have 30,000 homes, a school and stores all enclosed in a self contained corporate village. If your into that then there is a lot of opportunities in Yulee.
What corporate village????

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
That would be Early Settlement | Cottage | Bungalow | Home Styles | Wildlight I think they just finished the school. It is out by the 95 exit. They are building a self contained town. Now, I am not saying it is awful or fake or that people won't love it. I am just pointing out there is a giant company that used to make paper and decided to become a real estate developer. This is a planned town, maybe on the line of "the villages" for younger people. How it will all work I am not sure, my guess is the whole thing will remain private owned by the corporation. So like days of old the groceries are at "the company store" they will get a piece of all that happens within the gates and do their best to provide you with incentives not to leave and spend your money elsewhere. Like the villages https://www.thevillages.com/ which I have spent a lot of time at and personally find abhorrent. I recognize the majority of people love it as it is the fastest growing city in the USA. Yes, so that is what is coming to Yulee in some form. The paper mill also owns the crawford-diamond industrial park. This is a yet to be developed industrial park located just down the road towards callahan. The plan is to have industry move into the park and then have all the people who work there live in their yulee development. It is a win win all your money never leaves their pocket. So, if you wondered why in the world there are 4 lane highways being put in yulee now you know. The big boys and the politicians are all in on this deal and Yulee is changing so quickly it will make your head spin. Round and round it goes where it ends nobody knows. So to answer the question, that is the corporate village and if you love it then perhaps you would like to also put your retirement money into them. Ticker number RYN https://www.google.com/finance?q=ryn...j-F5XDe-rCtogN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida