Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 AM

88 posts, read 98,021 times

Advertisements

Is it true that if Global Warming persists, Florida will be underwater? I heard this on these forums and researched it, but how true is it?

Is the global warming going to start decreasing? Or is the nation still not doing enough? Is there a good outlook, an okay one or a bad one? What other areas could be affected? It's making me wonder about where I should move someday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 12:00 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
Is it true that if Global Warming persists, Florida will be underwater? I heard this on these forums and researched it, but how true is it?

Is the global warming going to start decreasing? Or is the nation still not doing enough? Is there a good outlook, an okay one or a bad one? What other areas could be affected? It's making me wonder about where I should move someday...
I believe in global warming but I don't think anything can be done about it what has already taken place. If the whole world all at once did something it may decrease the future effects and lessen it getting worse but it is not reversible according to experts.

The earth is a huge living laboratory that will always be going through changes till the sun burns out in a few billion years. Our importance on the planet or what we do, except to ourselves of course, are insignificant. We will be here for a short time and then we won't and the planet will continue on and erase any evidence man ever existed.

Man is the only animal on the planet with the intelligence or arrogance to think he really matters. He has to invent philosophies or better put, fantasies, to exaggerate his own importance. As far as Florida becoming covered with water, I would not lose any sleep over it.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
Global warming is 100% reversable. The greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere can be reabsorbed by planting new forests, in fact one guy estimates 100,000 of a certain species of tree planted all over the world can undo all the global warming in a few decades.

If we dont do anything then yes we will lose Florida. The sea level will rise over 200 feet if all ice on earth were to melt. I read that if global warming trends persist, in 50 years the oceans will be 3 feet higher and we can kiss all oceanfront properties bye bye and we will lose the Florida keys and parts of south Miami! Those areas will be a huge saltwater marsh.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 PM

88 posts, read 98,021 times
It's disgusting that people (meaning higher-ups, politicans, some adults or just anyone) don't give enough regard to this, if it really will ruin so many things.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Public transportation would help a lot.
Also, I wish that we could somehow revive our country's railroads.
I realize that North America is a huge continent, but if we could just refine a few main thoroughfares of rail transit, it could make a big difference.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Florida Warming: A Global Problem Hits Home

Global warming, an increase in the earth's average temperature caused by a build up of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere, is often regarded as an abstract threat. But "Feeling the Heat" details global warming's real-world effect on life in Florida, moving the climate-change discussion from the abstract to the specific.

On a positive note, the study found that one commonly perceived global warming threat has likely been overstated. Though preliminary research raised concerns that warmer ocean temperatures would lead to more frequent hurricanes, scientists now discount this theory. Nevertheless, global warming may increase hurricanes' maximum intensity, which will serve to exacerbate a natural cyclical trend toward more severe storms -- a trend likely to persist for the next 25 to 40 years.

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/nflorida.asp (broken link)

Old 12-09-2006, 01:21 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Global warming is 100% reversable. The greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere can be reabsorbed by planting new forests, in fact one guy estimates 100,000 of a certain species of tree planted all over the world can undo all the global warming in a few decades.

If we dont do anything then yes we will lose Florida. The sea level will rise over 200 feet if all ice on earth were to melt. I read that if global warming trends persist, in 50 years the oceans will be 3 feet higher and we can kiss all oceanfront properties bye bye and we will lose the Florida keys and parts of south Miami! Those areas will be a huge saltwater marsh.
50 years is a short time frame. Get some old popular science magazines that are 50 years old and see what experts were saying. We are supposed to have colonies on the moon, people will be going to work with cars that fly. Planting 100,000 trees are going to save the planet? The interesting catch 22 is, we are what we are and the progress we have made is at the expense of something like global warming.

Progress always comes at an expense often not realized till it is too late. Blaming politicians and industry is misplaced because the consume drives it. We are all hypocrites looking to point a finger. Al Gore gives a lecture on global warming and preserving our resources. Meantime he arrives on a private jet that wasted enough fuel to power the average family car for a year or more just to make one trip. Same with the ridiculous celebrities they drive their Hi-bread cars to step on their private jets.

Change is not possible because the no one will ever be willing to make any sacrifices. People function from crises to crises and always have, it is their nature. How many hurricanes do you have to have before you realize it is a good idea to trim a tree hanging over your house. Still people will wait till the day before the storm. I have very little faith in anyones ability to fix any of this, all that is important to most is you not be blamed for it.

Last edited by macguy; 12-09-2006 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Preach it, MacGuy! Preach it!

Back when I lived in Fort Myers, back in August of 2005, there was this woman sitting in her Escalade crew cab truck at the Publix. Gawd, that is a HUGE vehicle! I unloaded my groceries and kept glaring at her. Not that she noticed. She was too busy talking on her cellphone. At the time, gas was well over $3 a gallon.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Global warming is a natural cycle. I remember reading a Highlights for children when I was in elementary school which predicted global cooling in the 21'st century. There is no way that any human activity can change the earth's temperature. One volcano can outperform centuries of human pollution. C02 is a poor greenhouse gas compared to water vapor! If the earth heats up more water evaporates, lowering the sea level. Additional clouds can rise to the cold atmosphere ( Space will never warm up) and cut down on sunlight. The earth is self-regulating and greedy politicians like Al Gore can do nothing to promote their junk science. That said I am in favor of eliminating oil imports for another reason-national security. If the US didn't need someone elses resources, we wouldn't have so many enemies. No energy source is as cheap and available now as petroleum. But if people stopped dumping money in the real estate bubble and invested in clean nuclear power and concentrated on ways to reduce waste things would be a lot better. As for reducing C02? It's just another way to get closer to one communist world.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Yeah. I would definitely rely on the Hilights that I read in the pediatrician's office when I was in elementary school. Why rely on new information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida