Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 PM

111 posts, read 148,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have a neighboor paying $20k on his house in property taxes plus another $10k+ in insurance. Lots of people pay over $10k a year in expenses to own the house
Zillow shows a different story unless he lives in a multimillion dollar mansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Mark, South florida my friend is NOT cheap, we moved back to Jersey and my car insurance is less believe it or not than it was in Boca..food shopping is less here than there...My homeowners in jersey wasn't high and our property taxes when we left were almost 11k..When we were looking in South Florida to buy, in some areas the property taxes were high not as high as Jersey but high...the big difference is No State Tax...

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
It is not as bad as some will lead you to believe it is.

Most I think is financial as many blame the state and its people for there personal financial issues.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Mark, South florida my friend is NOT cheap, we moved back to Jersey and my car insurance is less believe it or not than it was in Boca..food shopping is less here than there...My homeowners in jersey wasn't high and our property taxes when we left were almost 11k..When we were looking in South Florida to buy, in some areas the property taxes were high not as high as Jersey but high...the big difference is No State Tax...
Car insurance I can prove is higher in FL than MA having full coverage with $100 deductibles on comp and coll, I am paying $44 a month on my Honda Odyssey. There I had bare bones insurance, FL resident for 18 years, paying $92 per month in a Chevy Cavalier.

But we get ripped off here with excise taxes, state taxes.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
We are relocating out of FL for my husbands work and to live some place with better schools. I was shocked (pleasantly surprised) when I called the car insurance and renters ins to find out that both were going to be half of what we are paying in FL.
I have lived in FL off and on for over 25 years. Tbh, it has never felt like home to me but many ppl love it here. Just depends what kind of life you want to live. Beaches are beautiful here and I will miss my once a year trip to Anna Maria Island (but might still make it down for vacation from time to time). This state is great to visit but I would rather not settle and raise a family here. That is just my personal preference.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
FL is nice place to live for empty-nesters, retirees, and snowbirds. It's not a great place to live for corporate ladder-climbers and young families who desire a wholesome place to raise their children. Some areas aren't bad for raising kids (i.e., Seminole County, northern Pinellas County, northern Palm Beach County, etc.), but overall, there are too many angry/deviant/bizarre types in FL as well as too many weird crimes.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
FL is nice place to live for empty-nesters, retirees, and snowbirds. It's not a great place to live for corporate ladder-climbers and young families who desire a wholesome place to raise their children. Some areas aren't bad for raising kids (i.e., Seminole County, northern Pinellas County, northern Palm Beach County, etc.), but overall, there are too many angry/deviant/bizarre types in FL as well as too many weird crimes.
Do you currently live here or have lived here?

I am not in any of those counties and have no issues with raising my kids here. They have blossomed here and done very well.

And the hubby got just his raise as expected and nice bonus check and he up the corporate ladder and started at the bottom and worked his way to the top.

Has been offered the same job with more money in other states and we have turned it down twice now.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Do you currently live here or have lived here?

I am not in any of those counties and have no issues with raising my kids here. They have blossomed here and done very well.

And the hubby got just his raise as expected and nice bonus check and he up the corporate ladder and started at the bottom and worked his way to the top.

Has been offered the same job with more money in other states and we have turned it down twice now.
What?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Spoken like someone who's never lived in Florida, knows nothing about it except the negative hype he/she/it hears in the news media and overall malcontents.

News for ya, there are wierd crimes, and angry/deviant/bizarre types anywhere you go....

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Spoken like someone who's never lived in Florida, knows nothing about it except the negative hype he/she/it hears in the news media and overall malcontents.

News for ya, there are wierd crimes, and angry/deviant/bizarre types anywhere you go....
Actually, I lived in FL for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida