Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 PM

14 posts, read 7,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'll let the psychiatrists do that... But basically anyone with anti social pd shouldn't have one. This kid was torturing animals way before he shot up a school
So what if person X had antisocial personality disorder but since he has no violent history and is being successfully managed on medication this psychiatrist decides he is medically competent to own firearms? Would this be a state mandated psychiatrist or would there be one psychiatrist hired by the atf or federal government determining all of these application? I only ask these questions because as easy as it is to scream mental illnesses should be declined is because the applicant would have to rely on the personal and political bias of the psychiatrist(s). If legislation was passed based on just, "mental illnesses", that would exclude a lot of good people with illnesses such as ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, or even something as simple as an individual going through a depressive episode due to a divorce or death in the family that are successfully treated who hold a job and support themselves and families and are great people. Where does the buck stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Then how do you explain that mental illness hardly massacres anyone in Canada, Australia or the United Kingdom.
As I've stated before... I think it's more of a cultural thing or societal thing. A lot has to do with it, but I don't know the exact cause as to why it's like this. Crime in the US in general is higher than a lot of developed countries.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 PM

14 posts, read 7,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Where has the left ever called for a complete gun ban? Again, just more lies from the right. Even in countries like Japan and the UK, you can buy long guns, they are just more regulated
https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...guns-for-sure/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4AcjyuV38

No One Wants to Ban or Confiscate Guns huh? These Quotes from Anti Gun Leaders Say Otherwise

Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palumbus1217 View Post
So what is your solution to all of this to make sure that another gun crime never happens again?
First we need to do what we can to make sure that one doesn't happen. I'm not ready to concede that dead children are the price we pay for our "freedom."

Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Sorry but one person doesn't speak for the left

Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palumbus1217 View Post
So what if person X had antisocial personality disorder but since he has no violent history and is being successfully managed on medication this psychiatrist decides he is medically competent to own firearms? Would this be a state mandated psychiatrist or would there be one psychiatrist hired by the atf or federal government determining all of these application? I only ask these questions because as easy as it is to scream mental illnesses should be declined is because the applicant would have to rely on the personal and political bias of the psychiatrist(s). If legislation was passed based on just, "mental illnesses", that would exclude a lot of good people with illnesses such as ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, or even something as simple as an individual going through a depressive episode due to a divorce or death in the family that are successfully treated who hold a job and support themselves and families and are great people. Where does the buck stop.
I think that's where a panel would come in. Japan has a pretty comprehensive system...mental exam, interview, talk to your family, etc

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Why don’t they say the next loser who try’s to pull another stunt like that you get the death penalty the next day.
That would be too easy. I say months of beatings and pain would do the trick rick.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:48 PM

61 posts, read 71,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
How are those strict gun laws in IL working out for you? How are these thugs getting these guns since you have very few legal gun owners in your state? Why hasn't Rahm,Obama,Hillary,Jackson or Sharpton done a darn thing for your state? You have the MOST murders year after year and yet your state continues to vote democrat! There's no NRA reps in your state so please stop with the liberal bs that this is a GOP thing and voting them out will change anything!
IL has the most murders year after year? If you want to get argumentative and throw out stats as red herrings, please double check your sources or math first. Go ahead, I'll wait.....

Or I can save you the time.
2014: IL: 792 FL: 1158
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide.htm
Source: the CDC

2015: IL: 744 FL: 1041
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...tates_by_state
Source: US Census data and DoJ

2016: IL: 1054 FL: 1111
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-3

Not that your failed attempt at guessing my political stance, my position on guns, or satisfaction with the current state of affairs in my own state have anything to do with my original comment. And that was this: those who ARE fed up with the increasingly common mass shootings can do something about it, because those who have been elected to represent their interests certainly are doing that in this regard. And that something is to vote.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Hung View Post
IL has the most murders year after year? If you want to get argumentative and throw out stats as red herrings, please double check your sources or math first. Go ahead, I'll wait.....
IL has a higher per capita murder rate than FL...

Comparing raw numbers is trivial, otherwise California takes the cake by far, but as I mentioned, the only thing when it comes to safety that matters is per capita.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Much like civil rights, gay marriage, etc.... the younger generation will be the ones who will push through gun law changes. What seems impossible will be a reality in 20 or 30 years. I don't think the younger generation will see the benefit in having guns as much as the older generations do. Too many mass shootings, killings on the streets, etc..... What was once unimaginable will become a reality as the younger generation begins to reach voting age and things will change. . . . Gotta wait for the gun crazies to kinda die off so a new generation can change the law....much like gay marriage, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida