Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You know the jury members political affiliation how?
1) It's the Bay Area where if you say you're a Republican, a mob will beat you up

2) No Conservative would have found an illegal who stole a gun and killed someone in broad day light in a city where it's impossible for a law abiding citizen to obtain a conceal carry permit

I have a thing called common sense, I wish more people had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM

202 posts, read 153,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you ever come to america, try to buy a glock and let me know how ot goes.
My response was to your claim "You cant just go and buy a gun no questions asked."

Clearly you can.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
How do you suppose to regulate the private sale of firearms? The honor system? If someone wants to sell their gun, they will sell it - law or no law, it's not enforceable.

Not to mention, I can't think of any mass shootings that this would have stopped. Just about all the mass shooters went through background checks and bought their guns from licensed dealers - because they had no records up until they went berserk.

But why is an Australian so interested in our gun laws?
My response was to an earlier claim "You cant just go and buy a gun no questions asked."

Clearly you can.

Why is an Australian so interested in American gun laws?

Australia are interested in the mass slaughter of Americans, in particular your school children. Not sure why you would question that interest. Nor that we are also thinking about how things can be improved.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:55 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times
The whole world's watching America and the gun debate.

I've seen first hand guns being sold openly at weekend markets, I was there last month with family and they couldn't believeve it.

When you look at the type of guns and environment you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to see no questions are being asked in some if not many cases.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
The whole world's watching America and the gun debate.

I've seen first hand guns being sold openly at weekend markets, I was there last month with family and they couldn't believeve it.

When you look at the type of guns and environment you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to see no questions are being asked in some if not many cases.
Correct, the world are watching America and the gun debate, and any time needless slaughter takes place somewhere in the world the rest of the world ought to be interested.

As I have stated previously in this thread, people can buy a gun in the US anytime they want without any check being conducted on who they are. A dream scenario for any nutter with destructive ambitions.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 PM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
My response was to an earlier claim "You cant just go and buy a gun no questions asked."
Ok, I know that. I'm asking how you think that law can be enforced. Say we pass a law forcing private sellers to submit the buyer for a background check - how do you expect to enforce that? A sale can happen in the privacy of someone's own home, and no one would know that. Hell, most drug sales happen that way.

It's an unenforceable law, and it's a worthless one. I cannot think of a single mass shooting case this would stop.

Quote:
Australia are interested in the mass slaughter of Americans, in particular your school children. Not sure why you would question that interest. Nor that we are also thinking about how things can be improved.
Perspectives differ, but I don't see this as a mass slaughter. There are 11,000 gun homicides (some of which are justified), about 375 of those a year from mass shootings (like parkland) in a country of roughly 300 million. For comparison, there are also roughly 11,000 people killed in the USA as a result of DUIs, and another 75,000 people who die from DUI + cirrhosis of the liver due to the alcohol a year. We're a country about 10x (population) the size of Australia.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, I know that. I'm asking how you think that law can be enforced. Say we pass a law forcing private sellers to submit the buyer for a background check - how do you expect to enforce that? A sale can happen in the privacy of someone's own home, and no one would know that. Hell, most drug sales happen that way.

It's an unenforceable law, and it's a worthless one. I cannot think of a single mass shooting case this would stop.
We have a system in place in Australia for that and it works.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Perspectives differ, but I don't see this as a mass slaughter. There are 11,000 gun homicides (some of which are justified), about 375 of those a year from mass shootings (like parkland) in a country of roughly 300 million. For comparison, there are also roughly 11,000 people killed in the USA as a result of DUIs, and another 75,000 people who die from DUI + cirrhosis of the liver due to the alcohol a year. We're a country about 10x (population) the size of Australia.
I see it as mass slaughter. You can choose not to. Fine with me.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
We're a country about 10x (population) the size of Australia.
Correct, America is in the order of 10x the population of Australia. So, if you had in the order of 10x the number of gun related deaths that would make logical sense.

But, as we all know that isn't the case. Not by a looooooooooooooong shot.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Seaside High teacher accidentally fires gun in class, students injured

SEASIDE, Calif. —
A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a course about gun safety for his Administration of Justice class when his gun went off at 1:20 p.m.

Alexander was pointing his gun at the ceiling when it fired. Pieces of the ceiling fell to the ground.

A news release from the Seaside Police Department said no one suffered "serious injuries." One 17-year-old boy suffered moderate injuries when fragments from the bullet ricocheted off the ceiling and lodged into his neck, the student's father, Fermin Gonzales, told KSBW.

The teacher had just told the class that he wanted to make sure his gun wasn't loaded, when the gun fired, according to Gonzales.

Seaside High teacher accidentally fires gun in class, students injuredSeaside High teacher accidentally fires gun in class, students injured

This one wasn't even intentional. Wait til a teacher cuts loose on students on purpose. That will be the end of the farcical suggestion teachers carrying guns will solve the problem of school shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida