Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
OK everybody listen up, b/c I'm only going to type this once.

Here is why THE SUMMER IN FLORIDA FEELS MORE HUMID AND HOT THAN SUMMER IN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY.

FLORIDA SUN IS STRONGER: Because Florida lies so close to the equator, it receives stronger sunlight than the rest of the country. YES, INCLUDING TENNESSEE. If you shine a flashlight on a globe, right in the middle, the area where the light is the brightest represents the areas where the sun’s radiation is most concentrated, and this is responsible for creating heat. If you spin the globe slowly, just as the Earth turns on its axis to create day and night, you’ll also discover that Florida is almost always right in the path of your flashlight during the day. As such, the radiation builds, and the atmosphere traps the heat. Florida traps the most heat.

WE ARE SURROUNDED BY HOT WATER: Another reason behind the hot Florida summers can be found on the Western, Eastern, and Southern coastlines – the water. Florida is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. Both of these bodies of water are quite hot; they contain currents of water warmed in the tropics, and this water stays relatively warm all year long. This warm water is partially responsible for hot Florida summers, and it also helps explain why the temperatures in Florida almost never drop below freezing in the winter, too. Air moving across this water absorbs some of the heat, which is then transferred to the land.

On the scale of oppressive hot summers, Florida is at the top, everyone else in the country fights for the middle and the low.

You can scream all you want about the oppressively hot and humid summers in Tennessee, Iowa, DC, Boston, Houston, Billings, Fargo, Virginia Beach, Omaha and any other place in the continental U.S. But none of those places receive the strongest sunlight (heat) or are surrounded by hot water (humidity) like Florida does/is.
My neighborhood does not feel more humid and hot than many parts of the country. Have you ever gone through summer in St Louis or anywhere south of Philly in the midwest or eastern half of the US along a big river?

Places like St Louis, Vicksburg MS and other inland places along a big river constantly get humidity from the river, but a river doesn't have enough width or thermal mass to create a cooling breeze. The whole continental interior bakes all summer long. Phoenix Az has very hot weather and create their own unbearable humidity viia lawn sprinklers.The rest of Az gets that dry heat some people prefer for mummification.

Florida is surrounded by warm water and it makes our winter mild and cools us in the summer. The breeze between the ocean and land goes from cool to warm. In the summer the ocean is usually cooler and a cooling breeze will come from the ocean. Florida has a lot of coastline and that helps keep the edge of the state from baking all summer like Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 PM

27 posts, read 56,828 times
We have two months of winter Jan-Feb. Depending on the year, it is pleasant from Oct-April(sometimes more waiting until Nov or ending in March). The high humidity and heat set in during May and stay through Sept(dew point in the 70s and highs in the 90s).

Old 05-02-2018, 05:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
My neighborhood does not feel more humid and hot than many parts of the country. Have you ever gone through summer in St Louis or anywhere south of Philly in the midwest or eastern half of the US along a big river?

Places like St Louis, Vicksburg MS and other inland places along a big river constantly get humidity from the river, but a river doesn't have enough width or thermal mass to create a cooling breeze. The whole continental interior bakes all summer long. Phoenix Az has very hot weather and create their own unbearable humidity viia lawn sprinklers.The rest of Az gets that dry heat some people prefer for mummification.

Florida is surrounded by warm water and it makes our winter mild and cools us in the summer. The breeze between the ocean and land goes from cool to warm. In the summer the ocean is usually cooler and a cooling breeze will come from the ocean. Florida has a lot of coastline and that helps keep the edge of the state from baking all summer like Baton Rouge.
You are correct.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSun View Post
We have two months of winter Jan-Feb. Depending on the year, it is pleasant from Oct-April(sometimes more waiting until Nov or ending in March). The high humidity and heat set in during May and stay through Sept(dew point in the 70s and highs in the 90s).
Yep, so live by the Atlantic for cool breezes. The Gulf not so much, but still it helps.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post

What part of Florida is closest to the equator and gets the most sun radiation did you NOT understand?

I have lived in Philly and I have been to Mississippi and Phoenix in summer. Better than Florida.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
What part of Florida is closest to the equator and gets the most sun radiation did you NOT understand?

I have lived in Philly and I have been to Mississippi and Phoenix in summer. Better than Florida.
Phoenix is horrible in summer, it’s so dry and hot, everything is brown, eww

Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Today was hot where I am in SW Florida, but it was hotter in the northeast, but around 7 pm when I took the dogs out to the backyard there was a breeze and it was beautiful out.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:

Sounds as though it's about time you got out of the Sunshine State where the "worst heat and humidity" and hot stove temperature lands surrounded by boiling water seas won't fry your thought processes so much, LOL.

And while you're at it, a quick look at a globe will show you the locations that actually are closest to the equator-hint, they don't include FL. In the western hemisphere, they'd be Columbia, Equador and Brazil......

Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Today was hot where I am in SW Florida, but it was hotter in the northeast, but around 7 pm when I took the dogs out to the backyard there was a breeze and it was beautiful out.
I thought it was an absolutely, lovely evening outside last night too. We had dinner at a neighbor’s and went out on their screened lanai afterwards. One of their relatives, visiting from a northern state, thought it was still too hot out there and was complaining. Seriously?

There were eight people on the lanai. The one person who was complaining would likely be one to rant on the internet about how hot and miserable Florida is, but you wouldn’t hear from the other seven people who were enjoying it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-03-2018 at 06:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds as though it's about time you got out of the Sunshine State where the "worst heat and humidity" and hot stove temperature lands surrounded by boiling water seas won't fry your thought processes so much, LOL.

And while you're at it, a quick look at a globe will show you the locations that actually are closest to the equator-hint, they don't include FL. In the western hemisphere, they'd be Columbia, Equador and Brazil......
I was referring to the state closest to the equator in the continental US obviously. Nobody in this thread is comparing Florida climate to those of Colombia, Equador and Brazil.

By the way Colombia is not spelled with a U. Perhaps your brain is the one that's fried.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-03-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida