Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Let's not turn this into something it's not. So the CEO of Publix was supporting a right-wing gun-nut. Okay? So should everyone who likes shopping at Publix for whatever reason (for me, I can list convenience among other things -- literally on the corner block from my house and again a block from my office --) have their lives disrupted? What about that mother who ran out of diapers and is scrambling to get a pack for her crying baby? Oh wait, a bunch of teenagers are blocking her path. If there is a message to be relayed, it can be done in a MUCH more civilized way. Take it up directly with politicians. Go protest in Tallahassee and D.C.; not in little Trenton, FL.

I get it: it's tragic. I have school-aged kids myself, and it wasn't too long ago that I was a college student. This new-age of protesting is, on one hand, admirable in their passion, but on the other, very ignorant and naive.

It's the same as when BLM protesters were blocking interstates. You have NO IDEA what some of these drivers were rushing for. Some probably had VERY urgent -- possibly life-threatening -- matters to attend.

It's just not right. You don't fix a problem by ADDING problems. You address the issue directly with those in charge. Period. If your youngest child acts up, are you going to punish the ENTIRE FAMILY, cousins, grandparents included? If there is a lone criminal living around your neighborhood, should the police penalize everyone who lives there?
I have young nieces and nephews, the oldest is a 3rd grader and youngest is in 1st grade. They are my life and I am close to my sisters as well. When the Parkland shooting happened, my heart skipped a beat because my niece's (1st grader) school is in Parkland, and that town is very small with limited number of schools. When the news began to leak out more and more details of the shooting, I was relieved her school was safe but distraught to those poor kids in the other school. I live 5 minutes away from Parkland and it is a relatively safe neighborhood.

With that said, I agree with this post. I like shopping at Publix because of convenience, the staff is usually very helpful and more organized than other stores. I also like going to Hobby Lobby, Chic Fil A, buy Chinese AND American made products, etc. Without going into it, my beliefs is in complete opposite of what these company CEO supports. If you have a problem with a particular company, take it to their corporate office.

That floor looks kind of dirty though. If this protest happen at my local Publix, I won't hesitate to walk over them.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeartofDixie View Post
Problem is that most leftists don't know what they are protesting exactly about, or how to make sensible overtures about the change they supposedly desire. They seem parochial in their thinking most times.

Groups like Black Lives Matter haven't a clue in how to effectively *protest*. Boycotting places like Publix is a political joke and patently ineffective.
Not to mention they dont protest in a way that gathers new support, that’s what they need. You have to protest in a way that convinces some on the otherside to join.

Blocking intersections at rush hour, blocking people from entering stores during Christmas, burning the American flag, throwing bricks through windows, or in this case not allowing people to use the sidewalk to enter the business is going to get 0 new supporters from the other side, in fact it just makes people with little opinion, get a strong opinion toward the other side.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Let's not turn this into something it's not. So the CEO of Publix was supporting a right-wing gun-nut. Okay? So should everyone who likes shopping at Publix for whatever reason (for me, I can list convenience among other things -- literally on the corner block from my house and again a block from my office --) have their lives disrupted? What about that mother who ran out of diapers and is scrambling to get a pack for her crying baby? Oh wait, a bunch of teenagers are blocking her path. If there is a message to be relayed, it can be done in a MUCH more civilized way. Take it up directly with politicians. Go protest in Tallahassee and D.C.; not in little Trenton, FL.

I get it: it's tragic. I have school-aged kids myself, and it wasn't too long ago that I was a college student. This new-age of protesting is, on one hand, admirable in their passion, but on the other, very ignorant and naive.

It's the same as when BLM protesters were blocking interstates. You have NO IDEA what some of these drivers were rushing for. Some probably had VERY urgent -- possibly life-threatening -- matters to attend.

It's just not right. You don't fix a problem by ADDING problems. You address the issue directly with those in charge. Period. If your youngest child acts up, are you going to punish the ENTIRE FAMILY, cousins, grandparents included? If there is a lone criminal living around your neighborhood, should the police penalize everyone who lives there?

LOL Right-wing gun nut?

It's always amusing when people spout off on subjects about which they know nothing.

Putnam is no "gun nut," but the fact that you think vociferously supporting open carry makes him one says more about you than about him.

And "right wing?" I hate to sound like John McEnroe, but you cannot be serious. Adam Putnam is a namby-pamby Republican, who's been bad-mouthing Trump since he first announced his candidacy. And it's only getting worse as Trump's presidency advances, and his policies are implemented. He's been a reliable "never-Trumper" from the get-go.

And...That's why Adam Putnam won't be winning the Republican primary in August. Ron Desantis will
Moreover, the interminable Trump-bashing was what precipitated the Publix contribution in the first place.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I think it’s interesting that we have gone from one boycott (liberals) to another on the other side (conservatives) of the issue. Companies cannot make everyone happy! How do they choose which side to anger?
They go on with business as usual, and ignore those idiotic demonstrations. And the best thing for those demonstrations is no publicity, no press.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL Right-wing gun nut?

It's always amusing when people spout off on subjects about which they know nothing.

Putnam is no "gun nut," but the fact that you think vociferously supporting open carry makes him one says more about you than about him.

And "right wing?" I hate to sound like John McEnroe, but you cannot be serious. Adam Putnam is a namby-pamby Republican, who's been bad-mouthing Trump since he first announced his candidacy. And it's only getting worse as Trump's presidency advances, and his policies are implemented. He's been a reliable "never-Trumper" from the get-go.

And...That's why Adam Putnam won't be winning the Republican primary in August. Ron Desantis will
Moreover, the interminable Trump-bashing was what precipitated the Publix contribution in the first place.
These kids are protesting because THEY THINK that's what he is.

It's always amusing when people spout off on subjects without having read through the entire thread. Had you done so, you'd know I'm in no way agreeing with anyone who claims he is such.

My point is and has been this entire time that: If they have any issues with the CEO or Putnam, take it out on them.

I'll save you some time. Read through this: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fi...ublix-10373159

This is the opinion held by the protesters, among many others. Not my opinion; theirs.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
My point is and has been this entire time that: If they have any issues with the CEO or Putnam, take it out on them.

Yeah I'm sure if they write a letter it would have the same effect. wake up.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Where did I imply that they should write a letter? dubious:

Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Once again, pissing off ordinary people will bring ZERO new supporters from the opposing side. It will just make them double down.

Anyone looking for real change should follow what the Tea Party did (mind you I hate the Tea Party Republicans). However, they did it the correct way and it worked, Republican establishment can't do anything without them now. They didn't get to this point by rioting, blocking traffic, setting up "die-ins" etc.

BLM did a lot of s*** and it got them publclity, but are there now a lot of BLM members in government, NOPE, because threatening innocent people to get your way isn't how America works.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:20 PM

18,428 posts, read 8,262,327 times
1 million people showed up to wear pink hats.....be as vile and disgusting as they could be
.....325 million people did not

Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Once again, pissing off ordinary people will bring ZERO new supporters from the opposing side. It will just make them double down.

Anyone looking for real change should follow what the Tea Party did (mind you I hate the Tea Party Republicans). However, they did it the correct way and it worked, Republican establishment can't do anything without them now. They didn't get to this point by rioting, blocking traffic, setting up "die-ins" etc.

BLM did a lot of s*** and it got them publclity, but are there now a lot of BLM members in government, NOPE, because threatening innocent people to get your way isn't how America works.

5 Peaceful Protests That Led to Change

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...llas-response/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida