Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:09 PM

90 posts, read 92,686 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Charleston, SC. Some people may say we're crazy, but we can't stand it here. Charleston itself is nice. If you're into history, its great, and the beaches are ok, but nothing to write home about. That being said, we need to leave. There is zero diversity here. Along with other reasons, we have decided to move. Now here is the question...Where in FL should we move to? We would like to stay in any of the following areas: Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale. I'd like to narrow down the areas, so we can focus on trying to find jobs before moving down. The number one important thing that we want is a safe neighborhood and great public schools. Don't really want to spend any more than 350k on a home. We have an almost 4 year old, and a 6 month old. We're looking to stay in this future home for quite a while, at least until the kids hopefully go off to college. We do like being close to the water, but also like the feel of Orlando. My wife works in health care, and I have a manufacturing quality manager background. Where should we move to? Please help! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:18 PM

330 posts, read 250,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
Hello Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Charleston, SC. Some people may say we're crazy, but we can't stand it here. Charleston itself is nice. If you're into history, its great, and the beaches are ok, but nothing to write home about. That being said, we need to leave. There is zero diversity here. Along with other reasons, we have decided to move. Now here is the question...Where in FL should we move to? We would like to stay in any of the following areas: Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale. I'd like to narrow down the areas, so we can focus on trying to find jobs before moving down. The number one important thing that we want is a safe neighborhood and great public schools. Don't really want to spend any more than 350k on a home. We have an almost 4 year old, and a 6 month old. We're looking to stay in this future home for quite a while, at least until the kids hopefully go off to college. We do like being close to the water, but also like the feel of Orlando. My wife works in health care, and I have a manufacturing quality manager background. Where should we move to? Please help! TIA
"Diversity" and "safe neighborhood" do not go together in Florida. Choose one or the other.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 PM

63 posts, read 116,277 times
Medical city in lake Nona Orlando area. Take a look.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,221,257 times
IMHO, your housing budget is too low for SFLA, considering you seek a neighborhood that is safe with good schools, unless you consider a villa/TH/ or condo. If that's the case, then look in the Bonaventure section of Weston, FL--located directly to the west of Ft. Lauderdale. Meets all your criteria--highly rated public schools, low crime, and about a 50/50 mix of Hispanic, versus non-Hispanic. But if you're looking for a SFH, your budget won't cut it there.

Maybe others will chime in about Tampa and Orlando. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,029,855 times
I moved to Orlando from San Francisco. We really like it here and it’s quite diverse, even many of the nice areas. I live in Dr. Phillips, which is great, but your budget is low unless you are okay with a smaller outdated home or a nice townhouse. You could look into Waterford Lakes. That will match your budget and is quite diverse.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:33 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,467,379 times
Move wherever you can find jobs.

I agree with the poster who said your housing budget is too low for South Florida for what you’re looking for.

Focus on getting jobs first.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 07-02-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 AM

413 posts, read 302,475 times
Have you thought about Austin Tx. Florida is crowded now.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
Hello Everyone,
We do like being close to the water, but also like the feel of Orlando.
Kind of conflicting emotions there...can you explain what the "feel" is about Orlando you like? It's more than likely that exists someplace else in the state that is on/much nearer the coast.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 AM

370 posts, read 326,600 times
What's this pre-occupation with "diversity" all about? Is Charleston too white for you? Is it too black? Because in the 843, that's what you get.

What kind of "diversity" are you looking for?

PS: Dude please! You haven't been in Charleston a full year and you're wanting to move? Sounds like someone didn't do their research properly! Since it appears you're looking to press the reset button yet again, I'd suggest doing more comprehensive research.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,340,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
Have you thought about Austin Tx. Florida is crowded now.
And Austin isn't???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida