Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:48 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,295 times

Advertisements

Well I actually believe there are many aspects of the nun vocation that acts as a portal to paganism.
Naturally these wonderful women of faith are dedicated to God, but tragically ( unless your pagan) circumvent God via religousity gone out of control. How so? In a nutshell....MEDIATORS or, Mary the mother of Jesus ( Mariology) the ROSARY a biblical red flag as it warns of vain repetition!! ( in prayer), intecessory prayer to all icons, saints, dead sinners ( they were ALL sinners) !! then toss in the pagan ritual of mass and it's a religious orgy of paganism!! This should please pagans in this Data section as they have company!!! Gods response....? Oy Vey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Your meds need tweaking again, mike.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,295 times
My aunt was a sister of Notre Dame for 60 years and we loved her dearly. she taught second grade 50 years !!! Served the Lord and was a true believer in Yeshua. When visiting her we got on the topic of scripture and she made it clear she was most familiar with Psalms due to the beautiful read. Naturally she had knowledge of the apostles ,but very out of the loop scripturally. She spent much time in prayer (I could do more of that) and daily ROSARY and mass then with classroom , helping with tasks like meals there was little time for real bible studies especially group studies. Simply one example of being victimized by religions restraints. She is with the Lord I believe and was a saint ( one does not need a beatification ritual to be a saint in God eye!!!!

Last edited by openmike; 09-22-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 PM

I had many nuns as teachers and principals through my first 10 years of school. Most were fine. A couple were fruit loops and one was a sadist.

I bear them no ill will and still respect them.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:22 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It would be tricky to consider a woman a pagan when she only worships an assortment of Christian gods and is married to Jesus Christ.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:12 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Well, considering Christianity stems from Paganism, including the Goddess giving birth to the God in Dec. (Winter Solstice-Dec. 21st), and the fact that many Christian "traditions" are really Pagan traditions, most Christians do practice Pagan rituals and Pagan holidays.

Cat

Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Well, considering Christianity stems from Paganism, including the Goddess giving birth to the God in Dec. (Winter Solstice-Dec. 21st), and the fact that many Christian "traditions" are really Pagan traditions, most Christians do practice Pagan rituals and Pagan holidays.

Cat
I posted this on another Pagan Forum thread this past year--Nuns who have an organization to fight for protection of the oceans and who regularly hold events on the Solstices and Equinoxes:

Areas with strong Pagan presence

I don't think it's odd at all that pagan rituals and holidays are incorporated into Christianity, as those rituals and holidays are ancient parts of humanity's connection with Earth. We are human and spirit, and those practices cross both aspects.

I attended my Episcopal church service early this morning, and when we do Communion, the elements are consecrated with the words, in part, "we offer this bread and this wine, which Earth has given and human hands have made..." Sounds a bit pagan now, doesn't it?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I posted this on another Pagan Forum thread this past year--Nuns who have an organization to fight for protection of the oceans and who regularly hold events on the Solstices and Equinoxes:

Areas with strong Pagan presence

I don't think it's odd at all that pagan rituals and holidays are incorporated into Christianity, as those rituals and holidays are ancient parts of humanity's connection with Earth. We are human and spirit, and those practices cross both aspects.

I attended my Episcopal church service early this morning, and when we do Communion, the elements are consecrated with the words, in part, "we offer this bread and this wine, which Earth has given and human hands have made..." Sounds a bit pagan now, doesn't it?
Yep, it does.

And it also sounds like truth.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 PM

11,022 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Well, Easter is a pagan ritual. It doesn't make any sense in the southern hemisphere but in the northern, it's the festival of spring which is why Easter is tied to the phases of the moon, ie the first full moon of spring. It's the celebration of the rebirth of life, hence the rabbit tradition. Rabbits give birth around that time. Crops can be planted and so on.

Catholicism seems to me to be very pagan. A lot of rituals and praying to different saints and the mother Mary. I went to a Catholic funeral recently.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, Easter is a pagan ritual. It doesn't make any sense in the southern hemisphere but in the northern, it's the festival of spring which is why Easter is tied to the phases of the moon, ie the first full moon of spring. It's the celebration of the rebirth of life, hence the rabbit tradition. Rabbits give birth around that time. Crops can be planted and so on.

Catholicism seems to me to be very pagan. A lot of rituals and praying to different saints and the mother Mary. I went to a Catholic funeral recently.
Yes, I think Easter's the most obvious and well-known incorporation of old pagan practices into Christianity but also Christmas with its theme of new birth/new light and also many of the Saints days covering seasonal observances. Many of the stricter Christian traditions won't use the term Easter or allow children to indulge in the practices involving bunnies or eggs because they are seen as too pagan. But even they observe it the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of Spring. The Eastern churches have a slightly different calendar so their Easter usually lands in a different day.

Lol on the southern hemisphere comment. Never thought of that.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-30-2015 at 03:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism