Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 AM

14 posts, read 87,976 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Key West. Does anyone have info on day camps for kids? The stinking YMCA closed down so I don't know where to look anymore. Also, other activities...sports, dance, art, etc?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
We're moving to Key West. Does anyone have info on day camps for kids? The stinking YMCA closed down so I don't know where to look anymore. Also, other activities...sports, dance, art, etc?

You'll need a true Key Westerner for this but straight up, it's a tourist destination & a gay community...I've never heard a lot about things for children going on down there....which doesn't mean there isn't.....

What kind of job is taking your family there?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
I can't think of anything either. I spent a week down there for vacation and i can't imagine there being much for kids to do any time of the year. It is mostly a tourist town since all the cruise ships dock right there in town. I would find it boring for kids down there. I was bored and ready to go back home after just spending a week and i was on vacation.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I can't think of anything either. I spent a week down there for vacation and i can't imagine there being much for kids to do any time of the year. It is mostly a tourist town since all the cruise ships dock right there in town. I would find it boring for kids down there. I was bored and ready to go back home after just spending a week and i was on vacation.

I can only do a weekend!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 PM

OK don't need opinions, that's where we are moving. We are a military family. We're actually looking forward to the laid back lifestyle after 3 years in NYC.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
OK don't need opinions, that's where we are moving. We are a military family. We're actually looking forward to the laid back lifestyle after 3 years in NYC.
Sorry to be so rude but this forum is based on opinions; good luck in the Keys!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well you asked about things for the kids to do and we all just told you what we thought hoping to give you some insight. So much for trying to helping out but being laid back in the Keys for adults is one thing but for kids, it's a whole different situation.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 PM

I'm a Floridian so I know what Key West is. At any rate, the military is sending us there, there are no options. We don't get to choose where go. We will not be the only family there, they have *gasp* schools there. You don't need a big city to have fun, adult or child. I'm really just hoping to find more info on day camps and sports activities. I've already located swimming lessons and swim team for young kids at KWCC.

As someone who moves every 2-3 years, one thing I've learned is that home is where you make it. Each place you move to has ups and downs...it's finding all the unique traits of each location and taking advantage of them and what each place has to offer that makes the experience.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Well for what it's worth, this link might help that i found. City of Key West: Services Index

Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
You might want to call the elementary school where the kids will be going. I imagine that they are already planning summer programs. Most schools do have some sort of summer activity plan, or they should at least be able to direct you to the right place.

Honestly, I WISH I was in your situation . At least by going with the military you know it is only an 'assignment'. I would love the opportunity live there, for a short period of time. Enjoy it while you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida