Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridas View Post
You're right, mail sitting for months wouldn't be safe, not to mention the mailbox would quickly overflow.

I would have a nearby neighbor collect it for me or someone stay on the property and collect it for me.

I'm looking for ideas to consider.
That's not what actually happens. The mail person will remove the junk mail and make sure your letters are in there. At least ours does at our vacation house. We check it once every month or two, no biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:05 PM

599 posts, read 498,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridas View Post
Thanks for all the advice. One key thing I need/want is a residential address for my mail. I dont want to use a PO Box or other mail service. I want a property to OWN and control, not rent, so a mobile home park or tiny home rental park like mentioned earlier dont fit my needs.
I'm sorry, but having been a full-time traveler in the recent past, your are heading for a train wreck if you go through with this. You are going to end up in a rural, remote area if you want to OWN LAND in a place that will tolerate a tiny house. Then you expect to find some random person who will spend time, on a regular basis, collecting and handling your mail. First, I guarantee that you will have nothing but problems with anybody physically collecting, handling and re-mailing your mail. I have tried it with both friends and relatives that I know and trust, and it was nothing but a PITA. Expecting that you will find a reliable person in a tiny house village, or better yet, out in the boonies of BF nowhere Florida, is a very sketchy plan that will fail.

Next, even if you buy a mid-range tiny house, and a dirt cheap piece of land, you are still tens of thousands of dollars away from sleeping in it. You will have everything from plans and permits, to contractors installing a well, onsite septic, a driveway, and preparing a pad for the house. Chance are, IF there is a municipality that will allow it,(and I doubt it) they are going to require hurricane tie downs and other things you didn't plan on. I seriously doubt that you could pull the whole thing off for less than $100K, even if you are so far out in nowhere that it's a 45 minute drive to a grocery store.

Now it comes to how would you possibly maintain a home that you have essentially abandoned for most of every year? Rural Florida is a jungle that can literally swallow a house in a few years. You would need a paid pro landscaper there on a regular basis, pest control, and a caretaker that could stop buy just to be sure that the AC is keeping the interior from turning into a mold farm, and that the local meth heads haven't moved in.

Assuming that you are currently on the road 90+% of the time, I would suggest that you find climate controlled storage location for anything you value and don't need with you on the road. Then plan on spending your quality time off in part of Florida that you like, in something like a multi-week VRBO rental, so that you can be there, and enjoy yourself, without a pile of expenses and headaches of owning a home that you don't need, and are not around to take care of. Most importantly, get a real address at a decent mail service, and let a trusted professional handle your mail. From experience, I can assure you that St. Brendan's Isle of Green Cove Springs, FL is top notch. For years I had a legal address with them, and paid them a very reasonable rate to handle all my mail, including opening, scanning and emailing it to me, and forwarding anything I requested.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
OP do you still need to be near a major airport?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...e-condo-2.html

I live full time in my RV and travel.

We use a mail forwarding service and are happy with it. Like others have said it will be a huge headache employing someone to do this for you. I acknowledge you are afraid these places will go out of business and while that is possible it seems far more likely your employee will quit or become unreliable then what?

Get a small condo in a rural area and you won't have too worry about the lawn etc. An empty tiny home on a stand alone lot faces the same perils as a regular house. Security, weather damage, the lawn etc.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
https://tinyhouselistings.com/

Old 08-17-2019, 04:17 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Lol. It's NOT exclusively for tiny homes and it is essentially a trailer park. I don't think tiny homes make up even half of the homes on the property.
If you had bothered to read the article.

"The RV park's owner and THers believe in the moral growth of a tiny house community. Rather than ask our awesome RV neighbors to leave (or astronomically increase lot leases as some have done), we are growing organically. As RVs leave, we offer available lots to tiny housers who wish to legally park, live on the shores of a beautiful lake, and take advantage of all that a nearby metropolitan area has to offer. Our tiny house community model is both sustainable and ethical."

Old 08-18-2019, 12:29 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Quote:
That's not what actually happens. The mail person will remove the junk mail and make sure your letters are in there. At least ours does at our vacation house. We check it once every month or two, no biggie.
You’ve got to make sure you have an arrangement with an agreeable letter carrier. We are instructed to return mail that has been unclaimed for more than ten days unless other arrangements have been made. In BNBRs case the arrangement is fine with most carriers as it’s not like 11 months worth of mail.

Believe me some carriers would be more than happy to send your mail back no matter what you request. They will simply point to the ten day rule, and say you haven’t picked up your mail in 10 months or something.

I have people that come down for one week a year, but their mail is forwarded. They let me know when they’re in town because they like the local ads and coupons.

PLEASE use a mail service for your own good.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you had bothered to read the article.

"The RV park's owner and THers believe in the moral growth of a tiny house community. Rather than ask our awesome RV neighbors to leave (or astronomically increase lot leases as some have done), we are growing organically. As RVs leave, we offer available lots to tiny housers who wish to legally park, live on the shores of a beautiful lake, and take advantage of all that a nearby metropolitan area has to offer. Our tiny house community model is both sustainable and ethical."
You obviously haven't checked out their site.

Q: I have an RV. Are lots available if I don't have a tiny house?
A: Yes. You're tiny too! But we are currently FULL, so be sure to call & put down your deposit to get on the Waiting List!

Whoops.

Would you like to try again?

Old 08-18-2019, 03:22 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
You obviously haven't checked out their site.

Q: I have an RV. Are lots available if I don't have a tiny house?
A: Yes. You're tiny too! But we are currently FULL, so be sure to call & put down your deposit to get on the Waiting List!

Whoops.

Would you like to try again?
Because they're fully utilizing their business plan until they can go fully tiny. The demand obviously isn't there yet so would bet once there they'll have enough demand to fully commit to being a tiny community. It would make zero business sense to fully commit to tiny currently if the demand isn't there yet...

Old 08-18-2019, 07:37 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Tallahassee has one, I forgot the name of it though. Google it

Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 AM

11 posts, read 7,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
You’ve got to make sure you have an arrangement with an agreeable letter carrier. We are instructed to return mail that has been unclaimed for more than ten days unless other arrangements have been made. In BNBRs case the arrangement is fine with most carriers as it’s not like 11 months worth of mail.

Believe me some carriers would be more than happy to send your mail back no matter what you request. They will simply point to the ten day rule, and say you haven’t picked up your mail in 10 months or something.

I have people that come down for one week a year, but their mail is forwarded. They let me know when they’re in town because they like the local ads and coupons.

PLEASE use a mail service for your own good.

I'm the OP. I don't want a PO Box or Virtual Mailbox Service. Been there, done that. Too many problems in mail lost, locations closing. Furthermore, I am getting 2000-3000 letters per year. Some is time sensitive, as in needs a response within 2-4 weeks. I want to OWN the property so I have greater control of my mail. So next question, is to own the property in what format? I could buy an empty lot/land, start or buy a small business, start or buy a storage business, start or buy an RV park. I'd rather buy a house/condo to rent out to someone living there and have them sending me my mail every 2-4 weeks than use the Post Office or similar mailbox service. Or to buy land, have one or more RV'ers stay there, collect my mail and send to me. Other ideas I've considered are buying or starting a self-storage business with a full time employee. Then my mail could be sent there and the employee takes care of it.

I see this forum as a brainstorming session and appreciate all the good ideas and suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida