Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:02 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m sure the teacher bait and switch is the exception, not the rule. You must pay attention to the contract that you are signing. Like I said earlier, my wife’s cousin has been a teacher in Frostproof for a while and she has never heard of such a thing anywhere. We will do as much research as we can and hopefully during the interview process she will get a better feel for the school district. She will have her list of questions to be answered. There are also some things she will look at prior to even sitting down to an interview. Does the school need to be in an affluent area? No. Sometimes those are the worst schools to teach at. She likes to focus in school districts that are mixed with affluence and poverty. And considering Florida is in that desperate need of teachers throughout the state, they can’t afford to play games.

I'm not sure whether it is either the exception or the rule throughout the state, as I only have intimate knowledge of the hiring practices of a handful of counties out of the whole. The county I live in, for example, is one such county where every prospective newly hired teacher receives one of these agreements replete with a cancellation/termination clause that is deliberately vague and can be invoked any time during at least the first year of employment. Historically, this county has had problems with relying upon substitutes, and has even terminated teachers over such trivialities as refusing to come out-of-pocket with respect to furnishing basic supplies for collective student use in perpetuity. This is not to suggest that all schools within the district have done so, but the schools here in large part are a hot mess.

I admire your wife's desire to make a difference in the lives of kids, but would caution you not to presume that Florida can't afford to play games because history demonstrates otherwise quite clearly. I wish the two of you the best of luck in any case, and hope that you settle in an area conducive to your desires & needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I'm not sure whether it is either the exception or the rule throughout the state, as I only have intimate knowledge of the hiring practices of a handful of counties out of the whole. The county I live in, for example, is one such county where every prospective newly hired teacher receives one of these agreements replete with a cancellation/termination clause that is deliberately vague and can be invoked any time during at least the first year of employment. Historically, this county has had problems with relying upon substitutes, and has even terminated teachers over such trivialities as refusing to come out-of-pocket with respect to furnishing basic supplies for collective student use in perpetuity. This is not to suggest that all schools within the district have done so, but the schools here in large part are a hot mess.

I admire your wife's desire to make a difference in the lives of kids, but would caution you not to presume that Florida can't afford to play games because history demonstrates otherwise quite clearly. I wish the two of you the best of luck in any case, and hope that you settle in an area conducive to your desires & needs.
What country is this?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
What country is this?
Marion

Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Marion
We’ll make sure to avoid that county.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
This is what they can do in Florida. It is the state law. A contract doesn't mean anything.

New teachers hired on or after July 1, 2011 are given a probationary one-year contract. Teachers are evaluated at least twice during their first year and may be dismissed without cause during that time. Based on these evaluations, superintendents can recommend that a teacher be given an annual contract for the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida