Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

As we post about the past & present of Florida the future is in the writers desk, see below for the 2007-2012 Roadmap to Florida’s Future

The process of developing the 2007-2012 Roadmap to Florida’s Future, a five-year statewide strategic plan for economic development, unearthed a wealth of "bright ideas" and best practices. The following six are highlighted as priority recommendations for the Roadmap, based on the imperative to accelerate high, value-added economic growth and guided by the need for action-oriented implementation.

Build World-Class Talent
Ensure Business Climate Competitiveness
Promote Sustainable Development to Ensure Florida’s Superior Quality of Life
Invest in Florida’s Innovation Economy
Establish Florida as a Pre-eminent Global Hub
Accelerate Florida’s Economic Diversification

http://www.eflorida.com/strategicplan/default.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
I don't see, back filling the Everglades to make room for the growing population?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I don't see, back filling the Everglades to make room for the growing population?
Are there *future* plans for this?
I know the Everglades are in dire need, but as I understand it, they have accelerated the restoration program. It's really a shame that this special area has been so damaged, but hopefully the Everglades will come back. I know they have their work cut out for them.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM

91 posts, read 151,873 times
sounds really cool!!! maybe this improvement may even drive out a majority of the drug runners and criminals that are currently in south florida.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:05 AM

14 posts, read 16,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
As we post about the past & present of Florida the future is in the writers desk, see below for the 2007-2012 Roadmap to Florida’s Future

The process of developing the 2007-2012 Roadmap to Florida’s Future, a five-year statewide strategic plan for economic development, unearthed a wealth of "bright ideas" and best practices. The following six are highlighted as priority recommendations for the Roadmap, based on the imperative to accelerate high, value-added economic growth and guided by the need for action-oriented implementation.

Build World-Class Talent
Ensure Business Climate Competitiveness
Promote Sustainable Development to Ensure Florida’s Superior Quality of Life
Invest in Florida’s Innovation Economy
Establish Florida as a Pre-eminent Global Hub
Accelerate Florida’s Economic Diversification

http://www.eflorida.com/strategicplan/default.asp

This person is dreaming, hey, please, the future here is bleak, companies need AFFORDABILITY to move their business here, its very expensive here.

Yes the labor is cheap because of illegal migrants but in general to move a company to another state, it is expensive and to get the management staff down to such an expensive area is very hard!! It's too expsnive here.

Once the space program stop gets the absurd funding they get and waste taxpayers money, FL enconomy will go back 100% tourism and hospitality, which is bad.

Not a good future, I don't think. I meet with managers in my company, they are all concerned the company moved here 5 years ago, its not working out, they need to go back to Pennsylvania. The company moved here for tax reasons, but it is so expsnive here now, it's cheaper to pay PA's taxes.This is a multi-million dollar company too, not mom and pop.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Many of our suppliers and our customers have left Florida due to bad transportation, low quality employees, and exorbinant real estate costs. Insurance was the final push out of the state. Going somewhere that a companies profits are taxed can be beter than losing your bottom line to escalating insurance and rocketing property taxes. many good employees become discouraged because their salaries don't buy the quality of life they desire. Especially so in south Florida, where wealth is flaunted all around you. Oh and don't forget our out-of-this-world health insurance costs too. When the retail industry founders all business growth will end. Florida's future is indeed bleak, just look at how many of the people who founded businesses here have abandoned ship.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 AM

60 posts, read 223,081 times
At one time I was seriously thinking of moving to Fl. The high cost housing and lower pay I could handle, but when the property tax and hoi started to skyrocket my mind was quickly changed. I am now looking for sun and fun elsewhere. Fl doesn't hold the market, but before it gave all the others a run. It's sad to see Fl biting the dust due to so much greed on behalf of politicians, insurance companies, and out of state investers.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:08 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,419 times
The future of Florida is dependent on the outcome of SB1980. If this is NOT repealed... this state will be in serious trouble.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
[quote=AutumnIsTheSeason;225140]This person is dreaming, hey, please, the future here is bleak, companies need AFFORDABILITY to move their business here, its very expensive here.

Many local and federal programs are in place to assist on this. Any out of pocket expense is claimed in taxes, actually larger companies make money during the move.

Yes the labor is cheap because of illegal migrants but in general to move a company to another state, it is expensive and to get the management staff down to such an expensive area is very hard!! It's too expsnive here.

Is everyone in Florida an Illegal? I don’t think so. Are we making assumptions because of looks? Please describe an Illegal? Many people relocate to Florida due to availability of jobs. The greater the number of available bodies, the lower the wages for non-technical jobs. See if someone can do the following JOBS: on Jobs.NEt shows 106 pages of open jobs within 30 days.
take a look: http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek...d0%3bJQT%3dRAD

Please let us know if this fit everyone’s needs.

Once the space program stop gets the absurd funding they get and waste taxpayers money, FL enconomy will go back 100% tourism and hospitality, which is bad.

So what is the solution? Please tell us.....

Not a good future, I don't think. I meet with managers in my company, they are all concerned the company moved here 5 years ago, its not working out, they need to go back to Pennsylvania. The company moved here for tax reasons, but it is so expsnive here now, it's cheaper to pay PA's taxes.This is a multi-million dollar company too, not mom and pop.[/QUOTE]

That means they want it to make money and not pay as much taxes....what about the employees from were they moved? Unemployment? or they flip the bill for them to relocate?

Florida has problems just like any state; lack of diversification of industries in the central part of the state will drive the salary down. I don't believe that Florida will get rid of tourism. This will continue to grow as other industries can't afford to survive.

But does the tourism sustain other industries? Yes. A company moving to an area that the primary industries are Import/Export and tourism will have a great challenge ahead of them.... great post

Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM

251 posts, read 885,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
The future of Florida is dependent on the outcome of SB1980. If this is NOT repealed... this state will be in serious trouble.
You have got that right!!! If it is not appealed small business owners are going to see their rates increase by between 600% and 900%
If you are a small business you really need to Google Senate Bill 1980 and read it for yourself!! I am NOT kidding 600% to 900% rate increases are GUARANTEED unless this Bill is repealed!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: