Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:33 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,905 times

Advertisements

Somebody told me there were flying roaches in Florida, but I don't beleive them. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 09:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Thumbs up Giant Flying Roaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Somebody told me there were flying roaches in Florida, but I don't beleive them. Is this true?
They fly!!!!!

[cut - original article at Giant Flying Roaches ]

The Asian Cockroach is well established in Central Florida; it has been reported in Pensacola and other areas of the Florida Panhandle as well as in East Central Georgia. This roach is easily confused with the German Cockroach; most professionals cannot distinguish one from the other unless found alive, while observing the roach behavior and habitat. The Asian roach is a good flyer and is attracted to homes at night, flying towards light. This pest is commonly found in turf grass and is often seen flying indoors and crawling across computer and television monitors. The German Cockroach is not capable of sustained flight and prefers to live indoors. The Asian roach is an accomplished flyer and lives outdoors, wandering into homes by accident where they become a pest.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-28-2007 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: [cut - original article at http://web.mit.edu/voodoo/www/is742/roaches.html]

Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
When I was a kid and we had the motel. More then a few times I would see a half naked woman run out of an apartment when they had one flying around inside. They usually at first thought it was a bat they are so big with their wings spread. They are amazing, they seem to defy physics. It is hard to believe this thing can actually fly. The worst is they will raise up on their legs and aim at you for something to land on.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:11 AM

312 posts, read 1,904,761 times
Yes, it's true. I lived in FL for more than 20 years and I've seen it all. They do not attack or bite you, but they are nasty and creepy. I've enclosed a link for you to check it out (YouTube video of Florida Roaches):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npi7zlTZyv0

Hundred of roaches gather on a mailbox. Watch what happens after the man sprayed bugkiller at them.

Yike!

Old 12-23-2006, 02:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
We call the flying roaches "Palmetto Bugs" (euphemism). They do fly...generally from a cornered space if about to be killed. However, if you are walking by a roach on a wall say outside, they can flutter around your head. Very grose. Fortunately the majority are jsut your standard overweight roaches that run and don't fly. I had no idea the palmetto Bugs were moving on up north. May God be with you!!!!

Old 12-23-2006, 02:41 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
They're in Cuba too. The first place I ever saw them is in Guantanamo. I didn't realize they could fly too.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
We call the flying roaches "Palmetto Bugs" (euphemism). They do fly...generally from a cornered space if about to be killed. However, if you are walking by a roach on a wall say outside, they can flutter around your head. Very grose. Fortunately the majority are jsut your standard overweight roaches that run and don't fly. I had no idea the palmetto Bugs were moving on up north. May God be with you!!!!
Palmetto Bugs fly and are big. Roaches are smaller and dont fly. But over all its still a pest.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
I remember helping a friend tear down a shed in his backyard, I used a crowbar to pry off a plywood panel and hundreds of them were between the studs and pegboard.Roach droppings were 2 inches deep at the botom of the wall! When we pried the plywood off the roaches started running everyhwhere and some took to flight! There were roaches in the engine of his lawnmower too!

Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I remember helping a friend tear down a shed in his backyard, I used a crowbar to pry off a plywood panel and hundreds of them were between the studs and pegboard.Roach droppings were 2 inches deep at the botom of the wall! When we pried the plywood off the roaches started running everyhwhere and some took to flight! There were roaches in the engine of his lawnmower too!
The contents of my stomach received in a McDonalds drive-thru two hours ago projectile-hurled upon reading the above...

Old 12-23-2006, 05:52 PM

238 posts, read 668,824 times
OH MY GOD , I AM LAUGHING SO HARD AT THIS THREAD- ROFLMAO!

they are palmetto bugs and i guess we natives are use to them , so i apologize for finding this so funny ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida