Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 AM

40 posts, read 114,547 times

Advertisements

Hi, I thought I would open up a thread for the folks in the Panhandle to help out the new locals, visitors etc. Feel free to post a comment, question or whatever floats your boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 992,569 times
We visited Destin last weekend. Had a great time!

One thing I learned: If you own beachfront property, you only own the land up to the highest tide mark. In other words, folks can walk along the ocean side of said mark until the cows come home. A relative was telling me that there was an irate homeowner trying to kick him and his dad off the homeowner's land. Even called the cops. Apparently, the cop gave the homeowner a mouthful when he got down there in bare feet holding his socks and shoes.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

One thing I learned: If you own beachfront property, you only own the land up to the highest tide mark. In other words, folks can walk along the ocean side of said mark until the cows come home. A relative was telling me that there was an irate homeowner trying to kick him and his dad off the homeowner's land. Even called the cops. Apparently, the cop gave the homeowner a mouthful when he got down there in bare feet holding his socks and shoes.
Public versus private beaches probably deserve a thread all its own.
This topic is hotly debated everywhere there is coastline.
I spent twenty months living in northwest Florida. It is a gorgeous part of the state.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,186 times
We've posted this before but not sure many folks saw it. It is a short 13 minute video about our rare Coastal Dune Lakes. They are only found a couple of other places in the world! If you are interested, check out the video:

Coastal Dune Lake video

Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM

Great video! Surely anyone who watches will fall in love with our area...
I also live on the water...and I just have to accept the fact that although you have property on this magnificent coast line, that the waters are free and accessible to everyone. I for one would hate the fact that only a select amount of people would be able to see what I believe to be the most beautiful scenery in the world!
I also think that one of the most beautiful visions I have ever seen is the view you get crossing over the Destin bridge heading east bound.......the water shows off at least 6 different shades of blues and greens, combined with the whitest sands. Its absolutely breathtaking!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 9,180 times
What is the best ways to find a job in the Destin area? I want to be within 40 miles of Destin. My undergrad is in computer science, and am currently working on my MBA. I am a System analyst now but want to move into sales. Anyone know any good sites to find jobs down there?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots11234 View Post
What is the best ways to find a job in the Destin area? I want to be within 40 miles of Destin. My undergrad is in computer science, and am currently working on my MBA. I am a System analyst now but want to move into sales. Anyone know any good sites to find jobs down there?
Are you wanting to be 40 miles east, west or north of Destin? If you don't mind our asking, why 40 miles from Destin?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM

You can try Cumulus Job Search
Also here is a link to the local papers. Hope it helps!
Classifieds

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Are you wanting to be 40 miles east, west or north of Destin? If you don't mind our asking, why 40 miles from Destin?
I just was figuring that was the maximum I wanted to commute. I'm up in MN and am tired of the high taxes and cold weather plus my wife is also on board. I see everyone saying that it's tough to find good paying jobs in FL, that is my only worry. I would want to maintain the same standard of living. Hoping to find something in sales as that is the best way to make the most.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots11234 View Post
Do a search for the top 100 government contractors and visit their site. We have a large number of the top 100 companies between Panama City and Pensacola. So the opportunities for well paying jobs is within this area...

Check the following link: Top 100 Defense Contractors (8/15/07) -- www.GovernmentExecutive.com

and visit this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...auderdale.html

Lots of excellent info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida