Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 03:56 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

I know people have asked many times about car insurance, but I am going to ask again. We recently moved from Manatee County to Polk County, and our insurance (Allstate) is going WAY UP. We have three older vehicles, and premiums will be around $100 per month more. We have had Allstate for decades, and we are "safe drivers" but this is hard to take.

Anyone have experience with AARP Hartford? Or any other recommendations? My husband isn't fully retired yet, but will be next year, I am retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I had Allstate when i moved to lakeland 5 years ago. It went way up $175 then at renewal another $75. I dropped them and like you I had them for years. I never had a claim or accident
I then went to USAA same problem. Dropped them. So I tried Geico in 2018 and they have been very reasonable. I was shocked how reasonable. I just renewed and it went down about $100. Although that has to do with a change of address.

I never thought id recommend Geico but so far they have been the cheapest. They actually are easy to do business with. Give them a call. Lakeland is high for car insurance. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had Allstate when i moved to lakeland 5 years ago. It went way up $175 then at renewal another $75. I dropped them and like you I had them for years. I never had a claim or accident
I then went to USAA same problem. Dropped them. So I tried Geico in 2018 and they have been very reasonable. I was shocked how reasonable. I just renewed and it went down about $100. Although that has to do with a change of address.

I never thought id recommend Geico but so far they have been the cheapest. They actually are easy to do business with. Give them a call. Lakeland is high for car insurance. Good Luck.
Thanks, Jimrob, I will give them a call. I am really puzzled why insurance is so high here, the traffic is very much lighter than where we moved from.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:30 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks, Jimrob, I will give them a call. I am really puzzled why insurance is so high here, the traffic is very much lighter than where we moved from.
The Allstate Agent was very open with me as to the reasons. Florida is going to have higher rates to begin with. It's amount of claims is very high and it's a no fault state. Florida also requires PIP coverage. That coverage is not required in the majority of states. I never carried it before moving here.

Now as far as Lakeland and Polk County impacting the rates. It's the amount of uninsured motorist claims and vehicle thefts being extremely high in the region. You are going to pay higher rates right there to help cover that problem.

You mention you have older vehicles. Your not getting a newer car discount which is substantial. So your going to be feeling that in your rates also.

I agree the rates are an eye opener when moving to the area. It's made me wonder how Geico is keeping their rates reasonable. I found State Farm and Allstate to be the first for high premiums and constant increases.

If Geico doesn't work for you. Try Farm Bureau Ins they are in Plant City and Bartow. Some people have had luck with them.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 776 times
Florida auto insurance can have huge variations moving from one ZIP to the next Get a few insurance quotes to compare insurance from multiple providers. Be sure to ask about mature driver discounts - here's a list of Florida-approved courses that could result in a discount on your auto insurance - https://squeeze.com/blog/mature-driv...ourses-florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida