Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 06:33 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,264,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Thanks for those graphs. But it doesn't explain to me why Florida is getting 15,300 new cases a day and other states are getting 300 a day. Are we testing that many more people? I'm looking at the Worldometer site for numbers.
because when you greatly increase the number of people you are testing......you increase the number of cases you find

one of the graphs....third graph down....shows how many people were tested each day

last Wed they tested ~50,000 people......and got ~9000 positives

Sat they tested ~143,000 people......and got ~15,000 positives...and the news media went nuts reporting it

...when you test ~3 times more people....you get a lot more positives

Florida is not getting ~15,000 new cases a day....unless they test that many people that day

Look at Sun....7/12.....they tested ~112,000 people....and got ~12,000 positives

how many people test positive...is a direct relation to how many people they tested

look at the 5th graph down...the percent of people that tested positive....it's gone down....11.5%

this graph > http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...rts_latest.pdf

BTW.....Worldometer is getting their numbers from that link.....that's the official Florida link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Because you know far more and far better than the front line doctors researching the disease as they treat it?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ought-12027348

Sky is the sibling network of Fox News for those unfamiliar with it

Thank you for posting this extremely important article:

<<
The long-term effects of COVID-19, even on people who suffered a mild infection, could be far worse than was originally anticipated, according to researchers and doctors in northern Italy.

Psychosis, insomnia, kidney disease, spinal infections, strokes, chronic tiredness and mobility issues are being identified in former coronavirus patients in Lombardy, the worst-affected region in the country.

The doctors warn that some victims may never recover from the illness and that all age groups are vulnerable....

Some people may find that their ability to properly work, to concentrate, and even to take part in physical activities will be severely impaired.

The physicians warn that people who do not consider themselves in a vulnerable group and aren't concerned at contracting the disease could be putting themselves in danger of life-changing illnesses if they ignore the rules to keep safe....

"So we are seeing other acute manifestations of renal failure that require dialysis; or stroke, and then acute myocardial infarction, so a lot of complications or other manifestations of the virus.
"And also now we see a significant proportion of the population with chronic damage from the virus."
>>

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ought-12027348

Sky was sold to Comcast in 2018. Comcast is the parent of both NBC News and MSNBC. If Sky still was controlled by the Murdochs (controlling shareholders of Fox News), I suspect this article would have never been reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Ne...ion_by_Comcast

If the U.S. CDC were controlled by a President and an administration that prioritized public welfare over politics, the CDC would be heavily researching these findings, both in Lombardy and with random sampling and investigations in the U.S.

The issue didn't address the concern that COVID-19 inflicts long-term harm on even those who are asymptomatic and feel healthy, including children.

These Lombardy findings seemingly correspond to the findings of Florida International infectious disease profesor Dr. Aileen Marty reported in post 26:

<<They`re asymptomatic, as far as they can tell but when we do chest x-rays

on these people 67% show lung damage. So they may feel great, but they`re

not great. And the truth is, they`re having scar tissue forming in their

lungs that may have implications for their future. So even the young

people, even the children, when you do films, we see the damage. These are people we don`t hospitalize.>>

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...l#post58614213

IMO, it's madness to open schools in regions with high incidents of COVID-19 infection until we've ascertained how the virus has impacted the health of asymptomatic children who have contracted the virus. The CDC should bie doing random samples of children in various regions hard hit by COVID-19, testing the children to see if they have COVID-19 antibodies if they haven't already tested positive for COVID-19. The sample should be weighted for children who tested positive. Once children who tested positive or if they have antibodies, they should receive thorough physicals to identify any long-lasted damage.

Physicians increasingly also are concerned by COVID-19 "long-haulers," individuals with lingering consequences of the disease.

<<
According to one report, most people fall into one of two groups when it comes to the virus. Approximately 80% of those with COVID-19 end up having a mild response and most of those cases resolve in about two weeks. For people who have a severe response to the virus, it can take between three and six weeks to recover.

But now, there is growing concern over a separate group who don’t seem to fall into either of those categories. A number of people are now reporting lingering symptoms of the illness for one, two or even three months. This new group is mixed with those who experienced both mild and severe cases. As health experts step in to try to manage these patients and learn more, many are referring to this group as coronavirus “long-haulers” or “long-termers.”>>

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...s-long-hauler/

https://thehill.com/changing-america...-be-as-mild-as

<<
People with “mild” cases are not coming out of it unscathed. Symptoms may reappear after a supposed recovery from COVID-19, and sometimes that can happen weeks or months later. “It’s almost like a blow to your ego to be in your 20s and healthy and active, and get hit with this thing and think you’re going to get better and you’re going to be OK. And then have it really not pan out that way,” says COVID-19 patient Fiona Lowenstein to The Guardian.

Another factor to consider is that some of the symptoms and health issues caused by the virus may not be apparent until later. Some individuals are discovering complications as long as two months after they’ve had SARS-CoV-2. CNN anchor Richard Quest says in an article on the site that he’s still discovering areas of damage, including a newfound level of clumsiness.>>

https://thehill.com/changing-america...-be-as-mild-as

Old 07-13-2020, 06:52 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
But it doesn't explain to me why Florida is getting 15,300 new cases a day and other states are getting 300 a day. .
I'm looking at the WoM site and I'm seeing what you're seeing too...I really have no idea...unless they all peaked early and are on the downside now

I see Mass with 230 new cases reported......but Mass has had twice as many deaths as Florida....and only tested ~1,000,000 people

....Florida has had 1/2 as many deaths...and tested over twice as many people

they are both close to the same for how many tests per million people...Florida just a little more

Old 07-13-2020, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 12,212 times
Florida 2014.We know where you live .BUT,YOU WANT TO LEAVE..Somebody has a cry room for ya. Maybe Nutty Nancy,or D"aarsehole NYC

Old 07-13-2020, 07:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Sky was sold to Comcast in 2018. Comcast is the parent of both NBC News and MSNBC. If Sky still was controlled by the Murdochs (controlling shareholders of Fox News), I suspect this article would have never been reported.

I've been watching Sky since the Murdoch years- I like getting a global look at news and they were a free channel on my first Roku box. They've always been far more reality-based than Fox News has been. Part of it is that UK news standards and practices laws are a lot stricter when it comes to reporting facts accurately. Even the Daily Mail has to have a good amount of truth under the breathless hyperbole.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:31 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartramBuck View Post
The CDC says 92% of deaths are 65+.

And there are absolutely sequela from CV, and you can find the outliers, but generally speaking if you are under 65, this will not cause you problems.

65+? Morbidly obese? Diabetes? Immuno compromised? Then quarantine yourself.

But do NOT shut the world down so we can lay waste to the economy and cause irreparable harm to our children by not sending them to school.

History will not be kind when we look back on how we shut everything down for this virus.

Assist the old and immuno compromised and wear masks.

There is always “something “ that can kill you and if you don’t fall into those above categories, generally speaking you have very little to fear.
I don't believe De Santis is smart enough to shut Florida down. This is something that every Floridian will regret; no one will want to set foot in your state and the financial consequences will be dire. The only difference is that with a shutdown, covid will stop its spread, without it, it will run rampant and still shut the economy down with all the sick and dying. Pick your poison, but quit putting your head in the sand.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:32 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times
Default sasie 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
I encourage the OP to move to California.

I have done California North, South, East, and West, and found many uneducated cities. Not only uneducated, but racist. Yes, the Northern part fairs much better, but trust me, I have been all over California for a multitude of years, and have never changed my mind about it.......

Old 07-14-2020, 12:28 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I moved here with an open mind. I was not expecting Miami to be like Boston or San Francisco in terms of intellectuals.

But I feel like I'm on a sinking ship being led by De Santis and the conspiracy theory/hoax believer residents of South Florida.

Meanwhile the positive test rate in Miami is 33.5 percent while in Boston its only 1.9 percent.

On a zoom call with my mostly college grad coworkers half of them were talking about the conspiracy theories (like covid was engineered by US government, or created by China to take out our economy, or Fauci and Bill Gates conspired to create a fake hoax pandemic to profit off of) they believe these things and were preaching to us on a zoom call about it.

My heart sunk. I feel I am surrounded by idiots, selfish people, people who dont care for others health, etc. This is not how people in the North East behave. New York was a huge tragedy even with a leader like Cuomo and residents taking CDC guidelines seriously.

How can Florida not end up worse than New York at this rate?

I went to the condos shared pool last weekend and a man was in the pool about 30 years older than me and fat trying to hit on me. He said he tested positve for covid in March and believes everyone should get it to create herd immunity.

He takes no precautions and goes to Duffys regulary. I guess he doesn't care if people with cancer all die prematurely. I was revolted by this guy.

Then my only best friend down here just had a baby and she takes the baby out to restaurants and goes to bars with out masks in palm beach county.

I guess I feel like this pandemic has shown me peoples true colors. Is there anywhere in South Florida where people are not totally selfish conspiracy theory believers? Or should I just move once again?
I hate winters but I am starting to feel like I dont belong here anymore because I dont believe everything I read on facebook.

I am younger than all of these morons so I almost have no hope for meeting anyone around my age down here who isn't a complete moron.
I lived in South Florida back in 2012-2013. I worked at Fort Lauderdale for about 6 months then at Miami for another 6. At first, I was excited as a software engineer. But I realized it was a mistake. I was out-of-place. I am minority but do not speak Spanish. I found Metro Miami to be very Latin American with a Caribbean/South American context. There is also an economic disparity. Miami Beach is extremely wealthy. So is Key Biscayne. But Central Miami is like a separate 3rd world with poverty and crime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU

In your case, Miami is generally not amenable to the youth group of recent college graduates into the "yuppie" range of about early 30s. A lot of people like you move. But you are not far from the I-4 corridor which is where many of the state's college graduates concentrate after graduation. Perhaps Tampa would be better. However, even Central FL has it rough right now since much of the area's economy depends on tourism. A few years ago it would have been ideal for your age group. I am not so sure about today.

Just know that the attitudes you are seeing are not exclusive to South FL. I moved back to my home state of AZ and the "left wing conspiracy" zealots are here as well. Meanwhile, like FL, the state's cases are exponentially skyrocketing. The curve is not flattening here either.

If you are female, you might like Denver. They call it "Menver" because the men grossly outnumber the women. Denver and Boulder tend to attract elite engineers with well-paying jobs in their mid 20s to mid 30s. But they outnumber the women by far. So, for young female college graduates they might like that area. The weather is in the "middle" - not as cold as Chicago or Boston in the winter but not as hot as Phoenix or humid as Miami in the summer. Conversely, for guys in that "yuppie" range it would be best to avoid Denver (especially Boulder) if they are looking to settle down. But for women of that age range it would be ideal to have many choices - lol.

But maybe the I-4 corridor will still work for you. Check out the blogs over there.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:21 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
If you are female, you might like Denver. They call it "Menver" because the men grossly outnumber the women. Denver and Boulder tend to attract elite engineers with well-paying jobs in their mid 20s to mid 30s. But they outnumber the women by far. So, for young female college graduates they might like that area. The weather is in the "middle" - not as cold as Chicago or Boston in the winter but not as hot as Phoenix or humid as Miami in the summer. Conversely, for guys in that "yuppie" range it would be best to avoid Denver (especially Boulder) if they are looking to settle down. But for women of that age range it would be ideal to have many choices - lol.
I'm from Denver. There's no truth to the rumor that men outnumber women there--the census shows about a 50:50 ratio and that was my experience on the ground. There are a lot of men who whine and complain that they can't meet women, though.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:20 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,878 times
To the original OP question. No... Try another part of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida