Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM

52 posts, read 170,565 times

Advertisements

I have read about an International Airport opening in the Panhandle. When is it scheduled to open and where is it? Also does anyone know what Airlines will use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
its the new panama city int'l. about another year it should be open.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The current Panama City airport is already technically an international airport because there's a customs office there.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The current Panama City airport is already technically an international airport because there's a customs office there.
Yes, I flew to France from there, but you have to connect some place else.
As an American, upon returning, I always went through Customs in Memphis or Atlanta.
There is no direct flight to Europe out of the current airport. I felt so torn about the new airport, because actually I liked the little one, yet it was so expensive (and a hassle) to deal with always having to connect.

I lost track of the new airport's progress.
Will the big jet airliners be flying in/out of there?
This site has very recent construction news and photos, but no particulars about airlines that have signed on.
New Airport blog, construction photos

Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 AM

IMO, the new airport is being vastly oversold to a lot of people. What you have is a nice new complex that looks an awful lot like the new terminal at VPS (Ft. Walton Beach) and if the passenger count (currently in the 300K passengers a year range) grows to what they have at VPS over ten years, about 850K, it will be considered to be a solid success. If they get it up to Pensacola numbers, about 1.4 million passengers, it will be far beyond reasonable expectations.

It's a good thing for the area if you've got a 20 year outlook, but there are a ton of unreasonable expectations about its impact in the short run right now. The hard equations just don't match up with the rumors that keep floating around.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IMO, the new airport is being vastly oversold to a lot of people. What you have is a nice new complex that looks an awful lot like the new terminal at VPS (Ft. Walton Beach) and if the passenger count (currently in the 300K passengers a year range) grows to what they have at VPS over ten years, about 850K, it will be considered to be a solid success. If they get it up to Pensacola numbers, about 1.4 million passengers, it will be far beyond reasonable expectations.

It's a good thing for the area if you've got a 20 year outlook, but there are a ton of unreasonable expectations about its impact in the short run right now. The hard equations just don't match up with the rumors that keep floating around.
Thanks for the update, Beachmouse.
Yes, I know what you mean about the 20 year outlook. That goes for a lot of the PSJ area, too.
Some of us are a bit long in the tooth to wait that long!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:42 PM

52 posts, read 170,565 times
Default Thank you for all your comments.

I was disappointed when I look at the carriers operating out of there. They said there were five but I only saw one of their list. I was hoping Southwest would add that area to their route. They are so much cheaper than other lines and more "user-friendly" if you are a Senior.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Small town airports tend to call the regional contractors distinct airlines, so Delta would count as three- Delta main, ASA (aka Satan's commuter airline as determined by a major national customer service study) and Comair. And part of it might be that they haven't updated the web site in a while- pre-merger Northwest and the US Air flights they discontinued last year would bring it up to five.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 AM

41 posts, read 112,755 times
Its my understanding that SW Airlines WILL serve the new airport starting late this year.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Southwest will be flying out of the new airport. Im not sure of the routes they will fly though. I think I read one was Orlando and another city. I know it didn't seem like they were offering many routes out of the new airport. Maybe in time they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida